• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

SUFC

Frank Row (1)
Aloys went down after a tough run off the blocks, the young men battled on bravely against a considerably larger forward pack. They really turned up in the second half and gave it everything. The bigger question and what I’m sure will be discussed extensively in the forum is which blue and gold (Pius or aloys) will win the coveted Ross Fagan Shield next weekend.

My money is all on Aloys, a dominant force under pressure and a team which I’ve recently noticed come back strong after an unexpected loss like today.

The aloys fourths went down as well after losing there best forward to an ab strain early on (he battled through but it truly affected his heavy running. Fortunately he should be allg for next week).

regards
GR
given pius put 50 on aloys early in the season, it’d be a huge turnaround for the boys from kirribilli - but no doubt they’ll be up for it. pius beat grammar in a pretty sloppy affair at weigall 24-16.

SUFC

Frank Row (1)
From quite an educated footy perspective, I think Pius are strong in the backs and they ran Aloys around the park. However term 1 Aloys were understandably ill prepared due to a shorter preseason training program and Pius had a strong preseason - my great grandson has mentioned that they started last September. Now that Aloys have caught up the gap and have gotten better in defending runs down the wing it’s almost a definite win for the gentleman from Milsons Point.

just a humble opinion
GR
‘a definite win’ might be a stretch, but no doubt both teams will will be better in their combos. if pius play like they did today, it’ll be a close affair.

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
54-7 Knox over St Pats.

Strange game. Heavy penalty count against Knox. And they looked to stop competing at the breakdown. They still look to be a work in progress.

St Pats tried hard and looked better than the result.

Lots of disruption and the referee used his whistle a lot. The game was not helped when the rain came. The cold was there all the time.

54-7 Knox over St Pats.

Strange game. Heavy penalty count against Knox. And they looked to stop competing at the breakdown. They still look to be a work in progress.

St Pats tried hard and looked better than the result.

Lots of disruption and the referee used his whistle a lot. The game was not helped when the rain came. The cold was there all the time.
Refereeing was ridiculous. Knox still have a few guns to come back into the side for CAS season

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Refereeing was ridiculous. Knox still have a few guns to come back into the side for CAS season
Yes, one got the impression the Knox captain must have insulted the ref’s family at coin toss.

Knox definitely need to do some work: reduce the error rate, play with more cohesion and purpose. With a lot of breaks there was no support. I was watching with a Kiwi mate and he was bemoaning the lack of ‘sympathetic passes’.

However a big shout out to St Pats. They were competitive, despite the score and their 10 a standout. Underestimate them at your peril.

I thought the Knox 13 in their 2nd had something about him.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
After watching Auggies this week, I think they will also walkover waverley. Seeing Waverley's performance over the last few weeks, they are looking far weaker than last year, however only time will tell.
Rucklover95, You appraisal is probably correct.

Auggies must have a very special team this year based on their recent results. Beating Joeys, regardless of trials ( Fair to say Joeys do treat these trials as exactly that Trials, BUT don't be completely fooled by this Joeys smoke screen, as they do play their probables and possibles in these games), either way that is a strong win regardless.
Beating Cranbrook is terrific but by no means anything near as impressive as defeating a top level Joeys team at Joeys.

So all comers take note!

Now, based on those obviously impressive wins AND the fact that Auggies will play the Waves at Rat Park (Home Territory) you would assume that all Auggies have to do is turn up, and the result will be a given, even a walkover!

There is a slight cavet that may make things a little bit harder this Saturday!

I can't remember the last time when the Waves got walked over by any team, nor the last time that Auggies beat the Waves.

I am also led to believe that this weekend the Waves will have their 3 best forwards back after some time off, which may mean they are not at their very best re match fitness (it's a reasonable statement but not using it as an excuse - because it is what it it is).
So the previous results all excluded these 3 Waves players, and there will be a bench,

Rucklover95 Give us a large margin win by Auggies based on your fair assumption, and results, thus far!

P.S. Luv it, let the banter begin! My ISA poster buddies, you know who you are DasMooze, Chop Tackle etc , will probably enjoy this wind up!

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Rucklover95, You appraisal is probably correct.

Auggies must have a very special team this year based on their recent results. Beating Joeys, regardless of trials ( Fair to say Joeys do treat these trials as exactly that Trials, BUT don't be completely fooled by this Joeys smoke screen, as they do play their probables and possibles in these games), either way that is a strong win regardless.
Beating Cranbrook is terrific but by no means anything near as impressive as defeating a top level Joeys team at Joeys.

So all comers take note!

Now, based on those obviously impressive wins AND the fact that Auggies will play the Waves at Rat Park (Home Territory) you would assume that all Auggies have to do is turn up, and the result will be a given, even a walkover!

There is a slight cavet that may make things a little bit harder this Saturday!

I can't remember the last time when the Waves got walked over by any team, nor the last time that Auggies beat the Waves.

I am also led to believe that this weekend the Waves will have their 3 best forwards back after some time off, which may mean they are not at their very best re match fitness (it's a reasonable statement but not using it as an excuse - because it is what it it is).
So the previous results all excluded these 3 Waves players, and there will be a bench,

Rucklover95 Give us a large margin win by Auggies based on your fair assumption, and results, thus far!

P.S. Luv it, let the banter begin! My ISA poster buddies, you know who you are DasMooze, Chop Tackle etc , will probably enjoy this wind up!

Ok I'll have a crack... (wanders in to the CAS forum with kevlar vest on)

If there was ever a time where we could see an ISA white wash, it's this weekend.

I think the closest game will be Oakhill/Knox and from what I gather, injuries could be playing a role in both teams.

Pius have been as strong as they've been in years, Stannies and Kinross have improved heaps since last year and Greg's at home is never easy.

It's going to be a cracker of a weekend and I hope all games get vocal crowds supporting them.

Bob McCowan (2)
I’m hoping Waves gets the win but I think St Augs will win by 14. I think it will be similar to last year but in reverse. Waves got the win last year by 14 but with so many St Augs players returning I think they’ll get the points. It’s a pity it’s not an actual comp game.

I have to say, I can’t stand the new Waverley jumpers. It looks like a training jersey. I have no idea why they binned the traditional butcher stripes. All their brother schools - Nudgee, Terrace, Eddies - play in the butcher stripes, they should have kept it.

scrumhead99

Ward Prentice (10)
Any standouts from the weekend?
Knox Game..
Waverley Game..
Barker Game..
Cranbrook Game..
Though a loss for Cranbrook, I still saw standouts, Gabe Sukkar (4) and Jack Weeks (5), were fast off the line in defence and took strong carries. I also thought Cranbrook's 7, Luke Steel, was great in and around the breakdown and made some good tackles too. Lastly, Taj Aufai (12) was a real standout in the backs, with strong carries and great defence.

Last edited:

Soupnasty

Bob McCowan (2)
Though a loss for Cranbrook, I still saw standouts, Gabe Sukkar (4) and Jack Weeks (5), were fast off the line in defence and took strong carries. I also thought Cranbrook's 7, Luke Steel, was great in and around the breakdown and made some good tackles too. Lastly, Taj Aufai (12) was a real standout in the backs, with strong carries and great defence.
Looking at the timeline, Cranbrook appeared to be in it, but the score blew out in the second half. Did they make lots of subs or just run out of gas?

scrumhead99

Ward Prentice (10)
Looking at the timeline, Cranbrook appeared to be in it, but the score blew out in the second half. Did they make lots of subs or just run out of gas?
I wouldn't say they ran out of gas, the quality of the 10 and 15, Joe Walsh and Tylan Berryman was just another level, they were able to stretch out Cranbrook, scoring many tries from wingers, and many silly errors from Cranbrook were there downfall. Cranbrook made a few subs towards the end.

Jeremy Senior

Frank Row (1)
Puzzling Waverley appears twice... Any results from the 3rd XV competition?
St Aloysius' has won one game from two, counting the Pius trial three, with a convincing win over Grammar.
Aloysius have a surprisingly strong thirds side and in past years has found considerable success in the CAS rounds... I wouldn't count them out just yet

Choptackle

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wouldn't say they ran out of gas, the quality of the 10 and 15, Joe Walsh and Tylan Berryman was just another level, they were able to stretch out Cranbrook, scoring many tries from wingers, and many silly errors from Cranbrook were there downfall. Cranbrook made a few subs towards the end.
Yeah, Auggies also subbed just about their entire team off with about 10 to go.