• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2022

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Unexpected:

Cas 1sts - Sayoun was very good. Phillipson was also very good.

CAS 2nds Aloys 10 - should move up

Ekanayake for CAS Seconds - should move up.
Interesting to hear that Aloys 10 did well in CAS 2nds. I have never seen him play at 10 for Aloys. He is the 15 for them and is a standout for them. Good to hear that he did well at the trials.

SkyBlue

Banned
Whats more childish - asking for 15 players from the school you support to fill the spare spots of a higher rep team, or calling out that obvious bias?

I know Rod is part of the furniture at Barker but maybe once in a while you could call out how ridiculous it sounds when he can’t see the positives of kids from any school unless they are wearing red.
He didn't say that... Also I have heard from the selectors that there would have been 4 more Barker boys selected if not for unavailability.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
He didn't say that... Also I have heard from the selectors that there would have been 4 more Barker boys selected if not for unavailability.
Of course Katoa would have been there(I want to highlight here that the Aloys 10 would have made a big difference to he firsts as well), but there were 10 barker players on in the second half and the score line escalated. The solution is not simply more Barker players.

The issue was the initial selections, and the pack in particular was soft.

Nosa needed to be the hooker.

Preketes needed to be the tight head.

Hill needed to be in the backrow moving Hooper to second row/6.(the Knox 6 was invisible)

Ekanayake needed to be in the firsts for Van Wyk.

And the fullback decision was almost the worst of all of them. The poor kid was so out of his depth it was almost dangerous.

Last edited:

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting to hear that Aloys 10 did well in CAS 2nds. I have never seen him play at 10 for Aloys. He is the 15 for them and is a standout for them. Good to hear that he did well at the trials.
He should have played in the firsts. He was the standout CAS 10.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree that the best CAS schools compete with the best GPS schools.

However, this year there are five GPS schools that are of round about the same high standard, whereas there are three CAS schools (out of six) with a chance of winning the competition. Which means that GPS is choosing from a larger pool of good quality players. The results, therefore, aren't a surprise.

That said, I do think CAS could do better with smarter selection.
This is a good point. Though I want to highlight there are some great players at Trinity and Aloys that were overlooked which made an impact on the outcomes from Tuesday.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
How do you talk to the selectors? Assumed they were independent and not engaged at schools?
The old rule used to be that each school appointed a selector, but that selector then watched schools other than the one who appointed him - so, say, the Waverley selector would watch Barker v Cranbrook. Not sure whether it still works that way.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Are there new CAS teams being announced for the CHS games? Assume there will be the odd change because of injury.

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
And the fullback decision was almost the worst of all of them. The poor kid was so out of his depth it was almost dangerous.

On the fullback decision, pity it didn’t work out as I’m sure that kid would have torn up the U16 comp and given CAS a real shot at ousting GPS. Him at fullback with the ultra fast Knox 15 on the wing (or vice versa) would have been something to see.

Last edited:

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
On the fullback decision, such a shame as that kid would have torn up the U16 comp and given CAS a real shot at ousting GPS. Him at fullback with the ultra fast Knox 15 on the wing would have been something to see.

The Knox 16’s fullback would have been a better selection in CAS 1sts than the Barker 1sts Fullback.

Ultimately it should have been the Waverley fullback(Towns) as the first selection for CAS opens.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Well, I think Shore is still a bit off the pace, but I agree there's not much between them and Kings. The point I was making is unchanged: GPS has 5-6 schools of high competitive standard, CAS has three.

Trinity and Cranbrook have had their competitive years. Only 3 years ago Trinity had a famous win against St Joseph’s College.

4 of the 6 CAS teams have beaten St Joseph’s in the last 5 years.

CAS has had a Strong winning % against that school as a whole since about 2015.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity and Cranbrook have had their competitive years. Only 3 years ago Trinity had a famous win against St Joseph’s College.

4 of the 6 CAS teams have beaten St Joseph’s in the last 5 years.

CAS has had a Strong winning % against that school as a whole since about 2015.
Sure, and this year, which is what I'm talking about, there are three CAS schools competitive with the GPS schools. Trinity could finish fourth in the CAS, and were thumped by Shore, who could end up sixth in the GPS. So this year, it's no surprise that GPS is significantly stronger.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Sure, and this year, which is what I'm talking about, there are three CAS schools competitive with the GPS schools. Trinity could finish fourth in the CAS, and were thumped by Shore, who could end up sixth in the GPS. So this year, it's no surprise that GPS is significantly stronger.
Apologies. Yes that is true.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
I am out here this morning and will provide some updates. CAS seconds up 12-0. Some easy tries early. Preketes makes a great run for the first try.

The two props have no numbers on their jerseys.

Not much of a crowd out here either.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
CAS penalised for a dominant scrum, then a dominant tackle form Barker 7 that was just a good tackle.

CHS pick and drive to the line - drop the ball over the line to end the half.