• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v Reds, Bruce Stadium, 7/4/2018 @7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Referees don't seem to be in the habit of letting the play run and then coming back and checking, unfortunately. The Hurricanes were denied a try in the first half against the Rebels last week and the call looked harsh on review (not as obvious as last night's though). In the Sunwolves vs Waratahs Foley threw a cut out to Big T who looked like he would romp in to score but the wind carried it forward and Gardner ruled a forward pass. They didn't replay it too much but it looked like it may well have gone backward out of Foley's hand.

It was backward out of the hand and the wind blew it forward. I was screaming at the TV at the time!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well they should be penalised by dropping for 4 weeks and cop a hefty fine for bringing the game (because the way they reffed it) into disrepute.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
They brought the game into disrepute?

They bought THIS game into disrepute for ME.

Shitty and just multiple wrong decisions doesn't increase the reputation of the game to ME.

How the fuck would a dumb ignorant mungo view it. To be fair he wouldn't understand anyway:D

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Interesting decision. I thought his foot was out, but given that they didn't I'm a bit surprised that they didn't award it.

I'd be interested in the view of any refs on here. I distinctly remember when I did my level 1 (a while ago now) that they advised that if the ball is on the ground in goal and a player is in touch and puts there hand on it it is simultaneous, and therefore a try (I remember it because it seemed odd to me). I know that wasn't the same scenario - but it would seem to me the same rule in play.

One Camera angle was unusable, the hand on the line at the time of grounding was a more definitive picture (I asked)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It's pretty average from a rugby supporters view that so much energy is taken up taking
about Referee, AR and TMO's and their shit decisions than talking about rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's pretty average from a rugby supporters view that so much energy is taken up taking
about Referee, AR and TMO's and their shit decisions than talking about rugby.

You're the one driving that.

In the scheme of things the referee made one howler being the Toua knock on that wasn't and should have been a try to Kerevi.

From the referee's viewpoint it was pretty understandable that they thought it was a knock on and called it such immediately. I don't think anything different would happen if the same situation happened again.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So what did people think about Lucas vs Tuttle?

Or Higgers / Timu etc?

Pocock?

Hard to assess Lucas (Ben) v Tuttle as Ben had little involvement in the game. But clearly, Powell was much superior to Matt Lucas and also outplayed Tuttle in his time on the pitch. Great to see him running from the base of the scrum and setting up backline plays that resulted in around 20m gains. He has one of the quickest services from the ruck as well as he passes from the ground in either direction - doesn't need to take a step or two to get his pass going. Must start for the Brumbies next week.

Unfortunate to lose McCaffery, but Cusack had excellent involvements when he came on. Took most, if not all, restarts and made 5 - 10 metres each time through the thick of the Reds forwards. He is more than an adequate replacement.

I thought Rodda and Timu were standouts for the Reds. Higgers also very good while he was on. I would have no issue at all with both of Rodda and Timu being in the Wallabies 23, and possibly in the starting side. Despite the newfound love for Rob Simmons amongst some of the Waratahs' fanbase, he just does not match up with the likes of Rodda, Arnold and Coleman. And did anyone notice haw the Brumbies' scrum started to exert dominance when Sam Carter came on to push in the second row?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Matt Lucas had a shocking game and I didn't think he was good off the bench last week against the Tahs. In the earlier rounds though I thought his form was better than Powell's.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BH, I've long been a fan of Matt's, even to the extent I thought he was outplaying your first two picks at No 9 for the Tahs last year. There is no doubt that he has an all-round game with few if any real weaknesses, but his form this year has been below par. He was not good v the Tahs and had quite a poor game while on against the Reds. It was a surprise to some of us that McKellar elected to start him v the Reds after his poor cameo the week before. And I fail to see that Joe Powell's form prior to the Tahs game was anything to be concerned about. The scrum just wasn't working in the early matches, many of the players were out of form (Kuridrani, Speight, Banks, Lealiifano, and most of the forwards), and Joe was actually one who was performing ok amongst the rest of the rabble.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You're the one driving that.

In the scheme of things the referee made one howler being the Toua knock on that wasn't and should have been a try to Kerevi.

From the referee's viewpoint it was pretty understandable that they thought it was a knock on and called it such immediately. I don't think anything different would happen if the same situation happened again.

Bull;shit !

You are just making lame excuses !!!!!!!!!!

Same old, same old

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bull;shit !

You are just making lame excuses !!!!!!!!!!

Same old, same old

After the referee has put his arm out and called out advantage Brumbies what was meant to happen?

Referees make mistakes. That was the only howler in my view. The Reds fell apart on their own.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
After the referee has put his arm out and called out advantage Brumbies what was meant to happen?

Referees make mistakes. That was the only howler in my view. The Reds fell apart on their own.

Sure Referees make mistakes, just like players.
Sometimes players are rubbed out for 6 - 8 weeks for making a mistake.
Fuckall happens to a Referee for not doing his basic job.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I thought Rodda and Timu were standouts for the Reds. Higgers also very good while he was on. I would have no issue at all with both of Rodda and Timu being in the Wallabies 23, and possibly in the starting side. Despite the newfound love for Rob Simmons amongst some of the Waratahs' fanbase, he just does not match up with the likes of Rodda, Arnold and Coleman. And did anyone notice haw the Brumbies' scrum started to exert dominance when Sam Carter came on to push in the second row?

Talking locks - Arnold also had an outstanding game. I thought he was better than the Qlders. Less so with Carter.

I'd put Rodda and Arnold as our best Super locks at the moment.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Agree atm dru. Expect Coleman to rise to the occasion as the test match season approaches.

Actually, Sam went pretty good in the time he was on, especially noting it was his first hitout after injury absence. Made plenty of tackles and I didn't see any misses. Hit it up and jumped well in the lineout. Not too bad at all. The surprise to me was the improvement in Enever over the week before. He was also very willing, especially in defence, and most notable of all he actually competed in the lineout on Reds' throw-in. That has been missing from the Brumbies' game all year.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Agree atm dru. Expect Coleman to rise to the occasion as the test match season approaches.

Actually, Sam went pretty good in the time he was on, especially noting it was his first hitout after injury absence. Made plenty of tackles and I didn't see any misses. Hit it up and jumped well in the lineout. Not too bad at all. The surprise to me was the improvement in Enever over the week before. He was also very willing, especially in defence, and most notable of all he actually competed in the lineout on Reds' throw-in. That has been missing from the Brumbies' game all year.

To throw a wrench in that -- Douglas is probably Australia's best lock by the numbers -- tackles, run meters. Carter and Arnold are are among the most penalised players in Super Rugby just for an example.

While I'd have Douglas out of the Reds side as quickly as possible, but if you check out the numbers Douglas is actually looking really nice.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To throw a wrench in that -- Douglas is probably Australia's best lock by the numbers -- tackles, run meters. Carter and Arnold are are among the most penalised players in Super Rugby just for an example.

While I'd have Douglas out of the Reds side as quickly as possible, but if you check out the numbers Douglas is actually looking really nice.

Simply not true........

Rory Arnold has conceded 1 penalty this year.............

Carter 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.