• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies V Force Round 1 - 2012R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree, Nic White will have to be their spark, you look at the backline and think who's the closest to Wallaby selection and really apart from White (who should be Genia's backup) not one of them is close.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree, Nic White will have to be their spark, you look at the backline and think who's the closest to Wallaby selection and really apart from White (who should be Genia's backup) not one of them is close.

But that's probably one more than the Force backline...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd also be keeping an eye on Robbie Coleman at fullback...

From what I hear he was one of the standouts in the two trials he played.

I'd be expecting a lot of counter attack running from him.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Maybe, maybe not. I would call Nick Cummins a potential game breaker. Same for Nalaga if his form lives up to the hype.

To be honest they are probably coming up against the worst or second worst backline in the comp (on paper anyway) this weekend, so if they can't do well then it may be a long season.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

Shepps has been there so to Sheean. Nalaga is an international and Cummings has been pushing for a wallabies spot for 2 years now (toured with the team up north in 2010). So i think that has covered the more than the force backline comment.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Dan Palmer
4. Leon Power
5. Sam Carter
6. Peter Kimlin
7. Ita Vaea
8. Ben Mowen (c)
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Jesse Mogg
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Andrew Smith
14. Henry Speight
15. Robbie Coleman

16. Anthony Hegarty
17. Ruaidhri Murphy
18. Scott Fardy
19. Michael Hooper
20. Ian Prior
21. Zack Holmes
22. Joseph Tomane

Congratulations to all the lads who made the 22... All strength and speed to those who are new to Super rugby... I look forward to seeing the White-To'omua-Lealifano inside backs combo grow from strength to strength...

Great to see Sam Carter in the XV, I note there is no other lock so Kimo may move to the second-row at some stage to make way for Hooper…

I’m pleased that Jake White has rewarded hard work over experience… Go The Brumbies.... :D

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shepps has been there so to Sheean. Nalaga is an international and Cummings has been pushing for a wallabies spot for 2 years now (toured with the team up north in 2010). So i think that has covered the more than the force backline comment.

The comment was about players currently closest to Wallaby selection... to which none of those Force players are really in contention at the moment...

Otherwise I would've mentioned To'omua, who has also (albeit briefly) played for Australia.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Maybe, maybe not. I would call Nick Cummins a potential game breaker. Same for Nalaga if his form lives up to the hype.

To be honest they are probably coming up against the worst or second worst backline in the comp (on paper anyway) this weekend, so if they can't do well then it may be a long season.

Nick who? Game breaker! :rolleyes: Love the fact that you can't get your head around who is dangerous in the Brumbies. I wish Coach Graham was as equally perplexed, but I think he is a little more savvy…

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
To'omua, Lealiifano, Coleman and Speight all have super rugby experience... Interestingly Jake has opted for the 2 tallest locks to take on Sharpie both lads are 2 meters... Young legs v old head in the locks department... Sharpe cant cover both of them... If Brumbies can control a good amount of the line outs the Force are screwed...

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd also be keeping an eye on Robbie Coleman at fullback...

From what I hear he was one of the standouts in the two trials he played.

I'd be expecting a lot of counter attack running from him.
Robbie Coleman definitely has some x factor from what I've seen of his play. IIRC he scored a very sharp try on debut, was it against the Hurricanes? He looks to be quick and a very balanced runner, and if he can get space chiming in from fullback then he may surprise. Aside from that he appears to be a decent ball player.

Lealifano is also an underrated ball runner, so if White and To'omua can create space for him, Speight and Coleman then who kows. Some decent speed in the backline with Mogg also deceptively pacy.

Backline lacks experience more than it lacks x factor.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah that was a great try. That was undoubtedly his high point in season 2011, he never quite delivered on the promise he showed that game against the Chiefs. He didn't get many opportunities though, so hopefully he can can flourish with plenty of time on the field in 2012.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Yeah that was a great try. That was undoubtedly his high point in season 2011, he never quite delivered on the promise he showed that game against the Chiefs. He didn't get many opportunities though, so hopefully he can can flourish with plenty of time on the field in 2012.

I don't think he was phyically ready for it last year. An 80kg inside centre and on his first 3 games he was lining up against Nonu, Umaga and Mortlock. After that he was battling injuries throughout the season, including that sternum injury he is still dealing with. The talent is there though, he'll know what to expect this season.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, that Brumbies backline does look more dangerous to me as well, and it looks like it has a bit more spark, but the difference is not huge. The bigger question is if the Brumbies forwards will do enough for their advantage in the back to mean something.

With that Brumbies starting pack, I will be betting on the Force as their pack looks better, at least on paper. Particularly the back row, but the second row as well.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Force Team to take on Brumbies:
1 Pek Cowan
2 Nathan Charles
3 Salesi Ma'afu
4 Toby Lynn,
5 Nathan Sharpe
6 Matt Hodgson
7 David Pocock
8 Ben McCalman
9 Brett Sheehan
10 James Stannard
11 Napolioni Nalaga
12 Rory Sidey
13 Winston Stanley
14 Nick Cummins
15 Alfie Mafi

Reserves
16 Elvis Taione,
17 Kieran Longbottom
18 Phoenix Battye
19 Angus Cottrell
20 Justin Turner
21 Ben Seymour
22 Sam Wara

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope I'm not made to eat my words, but I really fancy our chances against that Force side...

Personally, I'm happy not to see Cam Shep there after his 3 try effort the last time he was in Canberra.

The big threat to the Brumbies is that backrow which caused us a huge amount of pain in the draw last time.

One of the reasons the Brumbies kicked the ball out and opted for the draw in that match is they were getting repeatedly punished at the breakdown and they knew they had buckleys of making it out of their half with ball in hand.

Otherwise I fancy our backline and set pieces...

Status
Not open for further replies.