• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies v British & Irish Lions Tuesday 18 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Will be dominated in the set piece though

I don't think so. Brumbies' scrum has been solid all year and often gains penalties from the second shove. Against this Lions' front row, I expect they will be very competitive, certainly not dominated. And similarly, I expect the line out will hold its own as well.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think so. Brumbies' scrum has been solid all year and often gains penalties from the second shove. Against this Lions' front row, I expect they will be very competitive, certainly not dominated. And similarly, I expect the line out will hold its own as well.
I don't you can say that.

None of us have ever seen Sio at TH.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
As I said on another thread any of the Welsh national team in Japan would have had the same journey, added that they have been playing at a slightly higher standard than Williams in the semi professional second division of Japanese rugby. Dan Biggar should have been called in, Gatland won't have won any friends with the Welsh backs on tour in Japan all of whom would rate themselves above Williams right now

Why? Hogg was just fine at 10 and will be btter with a second go.

As for the Williams argument well one G Smith came back from Japan in shape so why can't Shane.

Good gad people just fucken love a whinge. Lighten up for fucks sake it's only a game and this adds a bit extra to the game in my opinion. I think it will be fun to see Shane have a go for a half and then Zebo is dropped in.

I watched those Welsh backs playing in Japan and I can tell you there was sweet fuck all to get excited about.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Curious to see if the Brumbies can go uptempo. Clinical I don't think will get traction against the lions.

Admitedly I am not a rugby tactician, but I suspect that the ordered, "percentage play- tactical kicking" Brumbies play may indeed prove to be a stern test for the Lions - if they Brums get the necessary possession to implement it.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Why? Hogg was just fine at 10 and will be btter with a second go.

As for the Williams argument well one G Smith came back from Japan in shape so why can't Shane.

Good gad people just fucken love a whinge. Lighten up for fucks sake it's only a game and this adds a bit extra to the game in my opinion. I think it will be fun to see Shane have a go for a half and then Zebo is dropped in.

I watched those Welsh backs playing in Japan and I can tell you there was sweet fuck all to get excited about.

Hogg is a 15, he hasn't started a game against professional opposition ever as a fly half. Combined Country was his first shot starting at 10 since school, I have a feeling his performance could verge on train wreck unless 36 slots in there for most of the game given I don't expect the Lions to be dominant up front. Gatland is just paying the price for his selection of not bringing an extra 10/12 option in the first place and this whole problem is entirely his own making.

The selection of Williams is farcical, the guy has been playing 2nd division semi pro rugby! It devalues a Lions selection no end that the selectors have picked a mate instead of a deserving option. Don't get me wrong I hope he does well, but I'd rather he'd called in someone who'd played rugby to a decent standard this year! Zebo is relatively fresh, I wouldn't see the problem in him starting and Maitland bench as a "break glass in case of emergency option", most of the lads will only have one more game on tour anyways.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
As I said on another thread any of the Welsh national team in Japan would have had the same journey, added that they have been playing at a slightly higher standard than Williams in the semi professional second division of Japanese rugby. Dan Biggar should have been called in, Gatland won't have won any friends with the Welsh backs on tour in Japan all of whom would rate themselves above Williams right now

You obviously didn't see the Wales games vs Japan - I wouldn't put ANY of those anywhere near a lions shirt. And Williams even at 43 or whatever he is now would have been a step up.;)
Quite a few of those Welsh guys have been playing little or no pro rugby either. One winger at 18, had only 5 senior games and those at semi-pro.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Wales Fan Biggar would have been my choice, he was decent in the 6 nations and this Hogg to 10 nonsense could have been stopped. I understand Gatland isn't a fan though judging by the Preistland perseverance when he was awful

Well Williams won't have played a competitive standard of game in a long time, so we'll see how he deals with Speight! Tom Prydie as underwhelming a player as he is may have been a better option (I may be joking here).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't you can say that.

None of us have ever seen Sio at TH.

I'm pretty sure he played TH in one or two trial matches this year. As I said in another thread, I would have expected the props to be the other way round. In any case, I am confident they will not be dominated.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yes, but that's when our set piece has included the likes of Moore, Alexander, Palmer and Mowen...

Not last week though, and yje scrum was still very effective against a not so bad Rebels' pack. Those players will of course be missed all round the park.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not last week though, and yje scrum was still very effective against a not so bad Rebels' pack. Those players will of course be missed all round the park.

You can't seriously compare a relatively weak Rebels scrum (featuring the likes of Henderson and Robinson) to that of the BRITISH & IRISH LIONS......... o_O

Also, the Brumbies had Sio and Palmer in their front row last week.......

Sio will be switching to his non-preferred side and he'll be packing down with Ruan Smith and Siliva Siliva against an international front row........

There are some clear MASSIVE differences there.........

I would love to see the Brumbies' set piece at least gain parity but let's be realistic about who we're up against........

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Think people are reading too much into the Shane call up. I can understand why, but as mentioned earlier I think it purely comes down to he was the only guy close enough to get there have a days training with the squad and play one game. It gets them out of a hole plain & simple.
It doesn't highlight any issue with the selection process just the fact they didn't take a large enough squad in the 1st place. Which many felt at the time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

a thought for any fringe players for the next Lions tour……go on holiday in the country (or near it) where the Lions are touring……don’t forget your boots….you might get a game…..all seems a bit amateur doesn’t it?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Come on Ponies. You can do this.

The Lions are vulnerable with their Dirt tracker team (in Gatland's view).

Having called them Gatlands Dirt Trackers, I think tomorrow's 6/7/8 are probably better than the most likely loosies that will start the First Test.

Ponies by 3-7 points.

B

ben wal

Really do hope the Brums have a good crack and give the Lions a massive fright. If they fight as hard as the Reds did then I believe that they are a real chance of getting a win up. Realistically, the Lions will get up by 15-20 and could really go undefeated on this tour.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Massive chance for the Brumbies tonight, the Lions have a 10 who has never started against a professional team there, a 15 who is making his first start in 2 months, 11-14 have barely trained together 2 of them have probably been on the beer for a while, a hooker who has the throwing yips and a tight head who can't scrummage. If the Brumbies can get some sort of parity against the Lions backrow, which is a tough ask given their two best back rows are at 6 and 7, they'll win maybe even quite comfortably I think.

Q

Quade

If this young Brumbies side play like they did against the rebels 2 weeks ago we re in for a cracker. Tough one without Sio and Kimlin who were phenomenal. Lions by 12

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Also looking forward to seeing Colby Faainga tonight up against Tipuric, its rare that Tipuric would go up against a player so similar to him. It could be a great battle between the two 7s.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Really do hope the Brums have a good crack and give the Lions a massive fright. If they fight as hard as the Reds did then I believe that they are a real chance of getting a win up. Realistically, the Lions will get up by 15-20 and could really go undefeated on this tour.

If you are talking about the "provincial" games you are probably right about the bold faced bit about. Tonight's game is probably the best opportunity that we have got to sneak a victory.

Do you seriously think the Lions will achieve a clean sweep in the test series?

There are enough gaps and weaknesses in this Lions Squad, which will only get worse as the Team Rehab selectors withdraw players from the touring squad, to think that the Wobs (less Pocock and Smith) could achieve a clean sweep in the tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.