• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wonder if this move to centralisation helps explain the Brumbies apparent lack of interest in rebels players. The combination of dire finances and the ongoing process would likely have left them unable to move to much on those available. I wonder if we'll see a bit more movement now that it has been sorted.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Now that the Brumbies will be under Head Office control I fear an 'Unconscious Bias' that may hurt the Brumbies even though RA mean well.

Fears are that there will be a decision to centralise and have less Academies. The Brumbies have been using their Academy (EDS) as the main recruitment tool with the Under 19 Team. Recruits in 2024 Anderson, Shaw and Bowron from Academy and only other pick up in Goddard (3rd Super Team + USA).

The primacy of the Shute Shield at the expense of the John I Dent Cup. One of Jake White's great actions as Brumbies coach. He mentioned that he could only have the players for half of the week. Lose the players at lunch time Thur so they could train with Shute Shield teams on Thurs Night and get them back Mon morning after a possible 3 hour drive. As a six team competition is very competitive with both Brumby and Academy players playing.

I fear they could become FIFO and disconnected from the Canberra community.

Asked to play multiple games in Melbourne. I would like to see multiple teams play in Melbourne. At least both Waratahs and Brumbies and hoping Reds & Force com on board. Melbourne to have Australian teams play Drua, MP (Moana Pasifika) and Highlanders.

The misconception that Waratahs & Reds are raided by the Brumbies. I put this down to that QLD & NSW have 2 rep teams until Under 18 and then go back to 1 team at Under 19. At least 23 dreams extinguished. NSW & Qld still have first pick and players like Staniforth pick themselves up and head south.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Asked to play multiple games in Melbourne. I would like to see multiple teams play in Melbourne. At least both Waratahs and Brumbies and hoping Reds & Force com on board. Melbourne to have Australian teams play Drua, MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) and Highlanders.

The Reds had 7 home games in Super 2024. It doesn't work to build a home base if you are losing one. WHile I'd love to see on-going Super Rugby in Melbourne, this is not the way.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The idea of playing some games elsewhere would be problematic for selling memberships, and ACT government funding...

The Brumbies are due to negotiate a new performance agreement with the ACT government but talks are on hold until Rugby Australia takes control of the Super Rugby Pacific club from August 1.

The ACT government will demand the Brumbies "have a strong ongoing presence in Canberra" if they are to pump money into the club, which will be taken over by Rugby Australia-owned Brumbies NewCo next month.

A Rugby Australia guarantee the Brumbies would stay in Canberra was the turning point in the club's decision to hand control to the national union, but concerns remain about the prospect of some games being moved elsewhere.

Reactions: dru

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
The idea of playing some games elsewhere would be problematic for selling memberships, and ACT government funding...

It's somewhat of a catch-22 - when you're looking to grow/maintain the game's following, you're understandably looking to take some matches (even if trials, etc.) elsewhere; but when you've got a team which represents a territory with, for all intents and purposes, one location that has the ability to host matches, you have to look to other surrounding regional centres which just happen to be in another state.

Question for Brumbarians - are there typically any regions of surrounding NSW that favour the Brums over the Tahs?

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
It's somewhat of a catch-22 - when you're looking to grow/maintain the game's following, you're understandably looking to take some matches (even if trials, etc.) elsewhere; but when you've got a team which represents a territory with, for all intents and purposes, one location that has the ability to host matches, you have to look to other surrounding regional centres which just happen to be in another state.

Question for Brumbarians - are there typically any regions of surrounding NSW that favour the Brums over the Tahs?
I'm only guessing here, but I reckon The Brumbies representing the ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union probably have a bit of support in southern NSW

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm only guessing here, but I reckon The Brumbies representing the ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union probably have a bit of support in southern NSW
I reckon south towards the coast and also south west probably lean a little more towards the brumbies
Yeah that was my assumption, but you know what they say about assumptions...

If that's the case, it's definitely not the worst thing to have a couple of games in that region? Especially if they're trials / standalone - like the Festival of Rugby between the Reds and Tahs.

whitefalcon

Dave Cowper (27)

If that's the case, it's definitely not the worst thing to have a couple of games in that region? Especially if they're trials / standalone - like the Festival of Rugby between the Reds and Tahs.
The preseason trials have been in Wagga and Albury for the last few years. I wouldn't be against one game through the season being hosted in the regions but considering we only get 6-8k to a home match I can see why there may be concerns

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Reds took a couple of games to Townsville a few years ago and it was shit. Dumb idea.

The question of relocating within your own catchment is one question. I though though that the question here was locating teams in Melbourne well outside of their catchment (Melbourne) - unless of course we are talking about the Blues.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
The question of relocating within your own catchment is one question. I though though that the question here was locating teams in Melbourne well outside of their catchment (Melbourne) - unless of course we are talking about the Blues.
The proposed destinations are unknown - if it is in fact even being considered. You'd have to think even RA would recognise that a Brumbies game in Melbourne isn't exactly going to draw

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not as much as people would assume. It why the ACT has been pushed back in to the name.

Trials etc outside of CBR might get decent attendance, but it's at the expense of the CBR supporters. 7 games is already too few to get significant supporter investment. So small things like trials are really critical to solidify your local supports. Without the ability to allow the locals to get up close and mix with players, it means the key supporter group is always at distance and you loose connection.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The proposed destinations are unknown - if it is in fact even being considered. You'd have to think even RA would recognise that a Brumbies game in Melbourne isn't exactly going to draw
Thats a big assumption. They had a team in Melb for years that struggled to draw home and away and the penny never dropped!

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thats a big assumption. They had a team in Melb for years that struggled to draw home and away and the penny never dropped!
I know you're being facetious, but a local team performing and drawing poorly is a whole different kettle of fish to floating a couple of outbound home games for a team with no links the city or fans whatsoever.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The Brumbies catchment area includes much of the Riverina region and the NSW South Coast. I think it might even extend some distance along the Southern Highlands ( Goulburn to Bowral sort of thing). They have been taking trial matches to Wagga and Albury in recent years as Whitefalcon mentioned above, and that has usually been for a couple of matches against the Rebels or the Tahs with players visiting other towns in the area during the week for coaching and get to know you purposes.

All that is a world away from playing Super Rugby matches in Melbourne. If that was a good idea in terms of spreading the word etc then why wasn't it ever done before the Rebels entered the Super competition? And why isn't it done now by having the Force (for example) playing games in Adelaide? Let's just kill this as an idea before it even gets off the ground.