• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Todd Louden. It's criminal an Oz team hasn't given this bloke a coaching contract. If Todd wants to stay up at Port Stephens, how 'bout bringing a Canberra boy home in Damien Hill. He was starting to do some good things at the Rebels this year.

Fisher's found his niche running the forwards. Larkham needs another couple of years as 2IC.

I hear a lot on this site about Todd Louden, but don't know much about him. As good as he might be, I don't think it would be wise to bring him, or any outsider, into the Brumbies at this point. One of Bernie or Laurie would be best placed to continue the structures put in place by Jake. And that is what is needed more than anything else right now. Any outsider would want to change things in his own image.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^ The Randwick mentality. To qualify for consideration to coach Randwick, one must have been a Randwick player.

Not always a wise strategy as the Wicks have found out from time to time, but yet they stick with it.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^ The Randwick mentality. To qualify for consideration to coach Randwick, one must have been a Randwick player.

Not always a wise strategy as the Wicks have found out from time to time, but yet they stick with it.

Just at this particular point in time. Jake introduced significant changes two years ago. Too soon to bring in more change now. The Brumbies need to build on what is there, and that would be best done imo by appointing one of the present Assistants.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
As far as I know, the squad for 2014 looks like :

FB : Mogg, Coleman
Wing : Henry, Tomane, Rathbone, van der Walt
No 13 : Kuridrani, Andrew Smith
No 12 : Christian, McCabe (prefer him at FB)
No 10 : To'omua
No 9 : White, Swanepoel
No 8 : Aelua, Vaea (will he return?)
No 7 : Pocock, Butler
No 6 : Mowen, Smiler
Lock : Fardy, Carter, Oosterhuisen, Power (still there?)
THP : Murphy, Ruan Smith
LHP : Sio, Alexander
Hooker : Moore, Siliva

By my count, that is 29 spots taken. Who else? Maybe another No 10, Rohan Saifoloi?

EPS? Presumably another prop, JP Smith? Is Josh Manrae still on the books? Who else? The two young locals who played in the Club 7s?

All in all, the squad is looking very strong again for next year.

RugbyLover1

Frank Row (1)

By my count, that is 29 spots taken. Who else? Maybe another No 10, Rohan Saifoloi?

EPS? Presumably another prop, JP Smith? Is Josh Manrae still on the books? Who else? The two young locals who played in the Club 7s?

All in all, the squad is looking very strong again for next year.[/quote]

Totally agree with you BR definitely a Top 4 if not Top 2 squad again for next year. I would love to see some boys from the local competition get a gig in the EPS 2 names that spring to mind are Tim Cree & Rodney Iona.

What will happen to all the South Africans that have come to Canberra looking for a spot in the Brumbies now that Jake has left ?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

All in all, the squad is looking very strong again for next year.

Apparently Mann-Rea has been bumped to a full time contract according to an earlier Crimes article..........

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Both Tim Cree and Rodney Iona would be excellent pickups imo. Cree especially if Ita doesn't make it back. What about Howell (?) the other local used in the Club 7s? And if we need more cover at No7, suggest Ale from Manly would be a good option. Manly have a history of producing top notch back rowers, George Smith, Hooper, Jones, Reid. Ale looks to me to have the potential to be in the same class.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Brums have comwe a long way under White which is great for Australian rugby in general.
Really hope whoever takes over can continue with the new culture, particularly after White's dummy spit - shits me that people are making excuses for the bloke who had signed a contract for another 2 years (bet he would have stayed if he had the wallabies job) - personal opinion is PISS OFF

BUT good luck to the Brums in 2014 - the playing group is strong, good captaincy and great organisation and culture.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wing : Henry, Tomane, Rathbone, McCabe
No 12 : Christian, van der Walt
No 8 : Aelua, Butler
No 7 : Pocock, Vaea
Lock : Fardy, Carter, Oosterhuisen, Power
Hooker : Moore, Siliva, Mann-Rea

Just made little fixes, we have three full contract hookers next year.

I think we could swoop up Tim Cree (BR), JP Smith (Prop), Ben Johnston (FB) and Sam Windsor (10).

RugbyMan5

Frank Row (1)
Just made little fixes, we have three full contract hookers next year.

I think we could swoop up Tim Cree (BR), JP Smith (Prop), Ben Johnston (FB) and Sam Windsor (10).

I personally would select Rodney Iona over Sam Windsor. Tim Cree would be a certainty especially after topping off an excellent year with the MacDougal medal. Any suggestions for a 3rd halfback in the EPS ?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
RugbyMan5 I was looking, but I only ever went to Royals and Vikings games for the JID this season and didn't catch much SS. But a SH has to be the other EPS, we need a third.

I think Windsor was damn good last year and pretty good this year, and that sort of reliable play deserves a callup. Ben Johnston is also very Jesse Mogg like, and Windsor can also play FB, so if we really need to grab Iona to stop another team getting him, then we can go without Johnston.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I personally would select Rodney Iona over Sam Windsor. Tim Cree would be a certainty especially after topping off an excellent year with the MacDougal medal. Any suggestions for a 3rd halfback in the EPS ?

Halfback is a position where the stocks appear to be very low. Must say I didn't see any in the SS who look to have the goods, incl some who are signed for other S15 teams. Most I've seen in the ITM would go good including two who played today for Southland. Wonder if any would be interested in coming over. The prospects of playing with the ABs would seem to be slim.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brumby Runner Vaea played 7 in 2011, it was under White that he was a 6/8. But at his best you could see some of the things that make Gill and Hooper so good, while he wasn't a great 6 or 8.

BUT that is just as I remember him, so who knows :p

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Brumby Runner Vaea played 7 in 2011, it was under White that he was a 6/8. But at his best you could see some of the things that make Gill and Hooper so good, while he wasn't a great 6 or 8.

My recollection is the complete opposite - he was smashing blokes while playing 8 in 2011, and then White tried to convert him into an SA style openside with mixed results

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Well my memory is quite different. Iirc Ita only played 7 under Jake. I clearly remember talking with Jake before the start of the 2012 season when he said that Ita would play 7, but at the time I thought he meant in the SA mould, ie fetcher at 6 and big strong runner at 7. But it turned out he meant Ita playing the fetcher role at 7. And I think that was when the Reds gave us a bit of a hiding because they played 2 fetchers (Robinson and Gill) against us and completely dominated possession. Didn't take long for Ita to revert to 8 until his injury/illness intervened. That at any rate is how I remember things.

Status
Not open for further replies.