• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
To go back to the original question - does anyone have news of Vaea's condition and whether he is expected to be available in 2014?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Most have said that The Brumbies will be fine in 2014 and beyond because Larkham and Fisher do most of the day to day coaching. White's role was bringing in systems and discipline. If that is the case, a very left field option would be Wayne Bennett. He's on the move from Newcastle apparently.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
And a massive kick up the arse for the ARU. That articles states he's happy with the deal from the Brumbies, but the ARU are playing stooge on the top-up payments. This is what happens when you bend the rules for League imports. If the ARU want to save money they should let JOC (James O'Connor) head off to the Bulldogs and free up a LOT of cash for these types of situations.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Would be a huge disappointment.

The issue is over the top 25 list that the ARU will give top ups to. Admittedly there's a few injured players from that list on there and apparently the top ups only kick in if you've been a Wallaby for 2 years.

I hope it's dealt with sooner rather than later because there's already enough BS going on down here at the moment.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
We should move to the England system of contacting, with a yearly squad being named.

I don't know the nitty-gritty details, but I like how it rewards current form.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just think stating you have a prerequisite you plainly ignored is stupid. If Mowen was never promised the money by the ARU then I think he's making a storm in a teacup, but given he was in the EOYT runnings last year, part of the 2013 Wallabies from the get go and has played in every 2013 test, I think it's reasonable to assume he was promised a top up earlier only to have it taken when Folau came it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We should move to the England system of contacting, with a yearly squad being named.

I don't know the nitty-gritty details, but I like how it rewards current form.

I agree with this.

ARU top ups should be for a single season only and should be based on the previous season's Wallaby performance (i.e. after the EOYT a decision is made on who gets a top up for next year).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's reasonable to assume he was promised a top up earlier only to have it taken when Folau came it.

I think that's a stretch.

Mowen was nowhere internationally in 2012, he certainly wouldn't have been on a top up radar.

For a man who was so willing to pay his dues, I think maybe his patience has run out.

D

daz

I agree with this.

ARU top ups should be for a single season only and should be based on the previous season's Wallaby performance (i.e. after the EOYT a decision is made on who gets a top up for next year).

Ah, welcome to my annual contract argument! :p

I agree though that it should be for for the National Squad and not for every S15 player in Oz.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ah, welcome to my annual contract argument! :p

I agree though that it should be for for the National Squad and not for every S15 player in Oz.

Absolutely.

The situation that you have multiple year Super Rugby contracts and single year Wallaby contracts would affirm the point that the Super Rugby sides are effectively clubs and the Wallabies is a representative team.

D

daz

It might even get rid of this "entitlement" crap that Oz rugby seems to be stuck in. Earn your Wallabies spot annually.

I do note in the Mowen article that match payments are set at $14K per game. On top of what I presume would be a decent S15 salary.

Now I am sure that the market sets the rates, but surely if someone plays 10 Tests @ $14K per game, plus (guessing) $300-$400K per year from S15 salary, plus sponsorship if you are lucky enough to grab a slice of that pie, you are doing ok. What other topups are needed?

The big problem is one that the ARU have created for themselves by effectively offering a "sign-up" fee to code switchers like Izzy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.