• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kooga's latest threads

By Brumbies Media Unit

imageResize.ashx

Stephen Hoiles shows off one of his 2012 training shirts.

The Brumbies have slipped into their new Kooga kit after returning to preseason training on Monday last week.

The boys will train in canary yellow for 2012 having had the last few years in predominantly navy outfits.

Now in his sixth year with the Brumbies, Stephen Hoiles said he was looking forward to another season in the ACT’s colours.

“This is the sixth time I’ve been lucky enough to try on new Brumbies kit but every year it’s still exciting, it means we’re not too far away from the start of the season,” Hoiles said.

“I don’t often dress in canary yellow but I’m always up for a bit of a change.”

The Brumbies kit sponsor Kooga have been able to take strong control of the Aussie market and now supply the Force, Rebels, Reds, Brumbies and Wallabies.

Does this mean the Brumbies will be getting an improved playing kit? Or is it just the training and casual apparel?

I really do hope it's a new jersey, or at the very least Kooga have fixed the heritage kit which they turned into an abomination.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's tough because the Sydney clubs offer more money and exposure.

I know the Rebels implemented this but I seem to recall some of their players sticking with their Sydney clubs.

White does seem to be getting his way at the moment, so we might see an influx in the number of young Brumbies joining the John I Dent next year...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The odd thing though...

The Wallabies' "gold" is more canary yellow than that shirt... although it's probably just the lighting...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Sorry didn't attach, try this. http://www.rugby.com.au/FixturesResults/AustralianU20s.aspx
I'm not sure if any other under 20's are featured, this is all I found, but very impressive. I am looking forward to 2012

Nice to know a few of these lads have played together at rep level in the 2011 AUS U20s, Fainga'a, kuridrani, Siliva & Sitauti. This is what Jake White did so well with in the Republic building a successful team out of young rep players.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The club issue isn't going to be as much of a problem as it has been previously mostly because the season is going to go longer and even if players went back to Sydney, it would only be for a handful of games at most. The word is that players who are in the Brumbies squad will be aligned with a local club. Those who have had previous dealings with a club (i.e Coleman at Whites & Ben Alexander at Uni-Norths) will be allowed to go back - if they don't make the gameday squad.
The issue of players going back to Sydney is a it of a double edged sword - the players are playing club rugby because they aren't in the 22 and the Sydney club standard is much higher than Canberra, having said that, if a player is out to impress the coaching staff to get into the 22, then playing in Canberra is better because it allows the coaching staff to see the player in person and not via TV or on a recording.

If the Brumbies squad players do play in the local comp, can only make it a better standard.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm not sure about yellow/gold jerseys. But I seem to remember that a year or so ago (in 2010 I think) they wore yellow socks for a charity and thrashed the Reds at Bruce.

There were comments made at the time that the yellow socks should be part of the regular uniform.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not sure about yellow/gold jerseys. But I seem to remember that a year or so ago (in 2010 I think) they wore yellow socks for a charity and thrashed the Reds at Bruce.

There were comments made at the time that the yellow socks should be part of the regular uniform.

Can someone say "Fuck off I'm the Stylist!"

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think the Reds again in Darwin is one, usually the Tahs and one NZ team (not sure who, Canes?)

Was curious about who the Darwin game would be against. I heard gossip about eith the Chiefs or Blues but personally the Reds will do me.

Cheers.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Actually, I do...

But, I think the Brumbies should revert back to their heritage design, but fix it up so that the sponsor is in the white part, and not everything bunched up on the chest...

So essentially they have a mostly white jersey with the navy upper part, navy shorts and yellow/gold socks... has a nice tri colour look (kinda like the French before their atrocious RWC design)...

Example:

Super+14+Rd+12+Brumbies+v+Reds+E1-qI_rAKhal.jpg

But fix the jersey design so it's more like this:

9b6b7faa90fd74deb255eb30819af33f_resized.jpg

They also played one or two games this year with that look and I thought it was great, and it really stands out with there already being so many navy/blue teams in the comp...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Update on Palmer at the end:

All Power to the Brumbies

BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
02 Nov, 2011 04:00 AM

The ACT Brumbies want their forwards to get ''down and dirty'' next year and lock Leon Power hopes he can provide the mongrel required to become a successful Super Rugby pack.
And the New Zealand recruit is determined not to let a knee injury ruin his bid to impress coach Jake White and earn his debut Super Rugby cap early in the season.

The Brumbies are into their second week of pre-season training and Power is easing himself back into the main training squad after suffering a grade-three medial ligament tear while playing in New Zealand's ITM Cup.

He's the second 200cm second-rower in the squad and his combination with fellow rookie Sam Carter will be crucial at the set piece next season. He will also battle with Ben Hand, Peter Kimlin and Ben Mowen to be a vital cog in the lineout.

But while his height gives him an advantage, forwards coach Laurie Fisher said it was Power's work rate that caught the Brumbies' attention.

''What impressed me the most was he plays for the full 80minutes, he's got a good engine, he works away, makes his tackles and chases the play,'' Fisher said.

''The fact he brings a fantastic work ethic really suits us ... we just need people [in the forward pack] who want to get down and dirty. That's what we're asking Leon to do, you've got to put your head where most people don't want to go.

''You've got to work away and I think he'll be great value for us.''

At the ripe old age of 25 Power feared his Super Rugby opportunity had passed him by in New Zealand.

A phone call from White changed that and he decided moving to Canberra would give him the best chance of being a professional rugby player.

Having been born in Sydney before moving across the Tasman with his family when he was a child, Power is eligible to play for New Zealand or Australia.

Because he has not represented New Zealand, the Brumbies didn't need to use their foreign marquee player spot to add him to their roster.

Five minutes into his last game for Bay of Plenty before joining the Brumbies, he injured his knee and has only just started to ramp up his on-field workload.

But he said he was ready to test himself at the next level and add some grunt to the Brumbies' pack.

While French-bound Mark Chisholm was 197cm, his bulk and power made him the Brumbies' enforcer. Hand, Kimlin and Mowen all have ample Super Rugby experience, but are not known for their ruthless nature around the field.

That's where 116kg Power comes in.

''I guess it's part of any lock's duty, you've got to do a lot of the hard graft a lot of the time and set a good platform,'' Power said.

''I like to get involved in the physical side of things in the forwards, you just do as much as you can really.

''It's a step up from the ITM Cup, it's very professional and you're given every opportunity to be the best you can be.

''In [the last game for Bay of Plenty] I went out there to enjoy myself and have a bit of fun ... then five minutes in I smashed my knee. I screamed like a girl and dropped the ball ... I thought I'd made an idiot of myself on TV.''

Brumbies prop Dan Palmer is also easing himself back into full training duties.

He missed the end of last season as he managed an ongoing foot problem.

Despite admitting he would need to continue monitoring the plantar fasciitis injury, the front-rower was confident it would not hinder him during the season.

Palmer will form a tight-head prop rotation with Wallaby Ben Alexander next year.

Alexander is capable of playing on both sides of the scrum, but is keen to make a permanent move into the No3 jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.