• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently Zack Holmes is also interested in targeting the flyhalf role... and appears to be one of the standouts in the speed/fitness trials...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Judging from that squad I wouldn't be expecting anything for at east 2 years from the Brumbies. If injuries occur, which they will, that squad does not really have the depth to cover.

It doesn't have the width either - proven players in most positions. A team needs some youthful enthusiasm, but not too much of it.

Nor will the Brumbies field many players who have natural leadership, or have acquired some. The loss of Giteau, and even Chisholm, will be felt, and any unavailability of Moore will be a setback. Hoiles in front of Vaea would not happen in any Brumbies team I pick, but the recruitment of Mowen will counter that.

The strength of this team will be in the front row and the backrow if all 6 first pick players stay healthy. The second row worries me as does the whole backline as a unit.

The 9's are promising and White is arguably more than that, and although the flyhalves have been around a bit they have not made their mark. They both have to be on the park at the start of the season so Lilo will probably have to be the 15.

Unless the newcomers blow a few socks off at the trials I would start them on the wing until they learn the defensive geometry at the pro level. I would start Coleman, a class runner, at 12 and teach him to use the pass more, and have McCabe next to him at 13.

It sounds like gloom and doom but things are seldom like that. There will be serendipity from quarters we did not expect it from and some players will jump out of the woodwork and we will say "I always said he was a good player," when we didn't.

Not to the point of the Brumbies but I don't want to start a new thread: The Oz Schoolboys played NZ Schools a few weeks ago at Knox. Foxtel will be broadcasting a 1 hour replay of the game: Tues 2nd Nov. 2pm ... and again on Thurs. 4th Nov 1am. Have a look at a few of our up and coming players and if you have any comments make them on the relevant thread. There are some comments on the game and some of the players; so if you want to add to them use the schools forum:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/7436-Australian-Schools-2011-and-National-Championships?p=298790#post298790

But don't go to that thread if you don't want to know the result beforehand.

Reactions: Ash

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Apparently Zack Holmes is also interested in targeting the flyhalf role... and appears to be one of the standouts in the speed/fitness trials...

Saw him as a schoolboy flyhalf 4 years ago and he played in a Combined States team with DHP, Tala Grey and Justin Turner. He was bloody good but I thought he would be too small to play pro rugby. I see he's 87 kgs now; so that's how much I know. Mind you, I thought JOC (James O'Connor) was going to be too small too. For those who have only seen him on the wing, he knows how to use the ball, as he would as a 7s player. He's very quick and a pretty fair goal kicker too.

He could be one of those guys who jump out next season especially from the bench to cover 10 and the back 3.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some recent Crimes articles to get the anticipation building for next year:

Brumbies see Kuridrani as wrecking ball

BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
28 Oct, 2011 04:00 AM

He's the softly-spoken Fijian who Jake White believes can be the ACT Brumbies' midfield destroyer when the Super Rugby season begins in February.
Chances are Brumbies fans have never heard of Tevita Kuridrani.

But at 196cm and 100kg, the speedster could provide the backline punch and X-factor the Brumbies have been searching for.

The Brumbies have lacked a backline wrecking ball since injuries stunted Stirling Mortlock.

But with Kuridrani to battle fellow recruit Joseph Tomane and Andrew Smith to fill the Brumbies' No13 jersey next year, White is blessed with plenty of size and speed.

Kuridrani, 20, can also play on the wing and White hopes to turn his monster frame into one of the most feared ball-runners in the competition.

''And he's Fijian, there aren't many Fijians who don't like running with the ball,'' White said yesterday.

''The reality is that Tevita and Joe [Tomane] are going to be going for the same position and they offer the same skill sets.

''He can play anywhere, he can play at No13 or on the wing and at this point in time we're trying to get him to where we need him.

''He's quick, likewise with Joe, and what we're trying to do is get players who can complement each other.

''Joe and Tevita are big and they're strong, they offer another dynamic to the team which we probably didn't have.''

The Brumbies will finish their first week of pre-season training today.

New coach White has taken over and he has 12 new players in his extended squad of 35.

Kuridrani played in the Australian Sevens team and was also included in the Australian under-20s side to play at the junior world championship.

The Melbourne Rebels chased his signature, but Kuridrani said the opportunity to work with White was the reason he decided to move to Canberra.

Tomane is also keen to make an impression at the Brumbies after leaving his NRL contract with the Gold Coast Titans to return to rugby.

The 110kg centre played rugby as a junior before switching codes to start a promising NRL career.

But after deciding to reignite his rugby career, Tomane hopes to evolve into a dangerous weapon in the Brumbies' backline.

''The transition has been really good, the coaching staff has helped me a lot and so have the players,'' Tomane said.

''It's going to be tough, especially for me learning the game again. I've got a lot of hard work to do to catch up but I'm looking forward to it.''

Pat McCabe's shoulder injury means White is starting with a blank backline canvas.

The only player who was a regular starter from last year's backline is winger Henry Speight.

The door is open for new players to fill the vacant spots and White hoped that would drive his players to work through a brutal pre-season.

''It's incredible the two boys I've got here [Kuridrani and Tomane] are vying for the same positions,'' White said. ''They both want a situation where they get a fair crack. I want to create a culture where everyone wants to be a part of the Brumbies and everyone wants to play.''

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Season starts now for Brumbies

BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
25 Oct, 2011 04:00 AM

They're young, they're excited and the ACT Brumbies' ''new generation'' doesn't carry the mental scars from this year's failed Super Rugby campaign.
But while Brumbies assistant coach Stephen Larkham is excited by the raw talent which started pre-season training yesterday, he admitted the new group's ability to turn potential into success was unknown.

The Brumbies began their official preparation for next year's Super Rugby season with a gut-busting fitness and agility session at the Australian Institute of Sport.

The squad - barring Wallabies Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander and Pat McCabe - was put through a series of sprint, speed and endurance drills to test them on day one of pre-season.

It was the beginning of the journey to erase the pain and embarrassment after this year's dismal season which yielded just four victories from 16 games.

With 12 new faces and an average age of 22, Larkham said the squad was capable of rebuilding the Brumbies.

''It's a new generation, certainly a younger breed and full of potential,'' Larkham said.

''We've only got three Wallabies coming back from the [World Cup] campaign so the pre-season's not going to be disrupted too much.

''We've got the majority of the squad and with the talent these guys have got and what we've seen, there's no reason why these [young] guys can't make the Wallabies in the next year or two.

''There's a lot of potential in this group, but we don't know when that potential is going to be realised or when it will be reached.''

It's the unknown talent the Brumbies hope will help them catch opposition teams off guard next year.

Most Brumbies fans wouldn't know the majority of faces doing the beep test or a series of sprints at the AIS.

New coach Jake White has recruited a group of players who have been untested at Super Rugby.

They'll replace Matt Giteau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Rocky Elsom, Mark Chisholm and Mitchell Chapman.

Rookie playmaker Zack Holmes wants to use the pre-season training to impress the coaches enough to give him a chance in the No10 jumper.

Holmes has spent the past couple of seasons in the Australian Sevens program and he's confident he can handle stepping up to Super Rugby level.

The 21-year-old was recruited because of his ability to play almost anywhere in the backline.

But with Larkham and George Gregan as mentors, Holmes has his sights set on the flyhalf role.

''There's no better place to learn, you've got two of Australia's greatest-ever players so if you can't learn here you can't learn anywhere,'' Holmes said.

''I'm really excited ... Jake's won a World Cup [with South Africa] and with Larkham and Gregan it was hard to say no [to the opportunity] as someone who plays 10 and fullback.

''There's no where else with opportunities like here.

''I'm hoping to have a crack at No10, that's where I played [for Norths] in the Shute Shield.

''That's where I want to play, but ... I'll play wherever."

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From the Brumbies last week:

10/24/2011
Holmes sets the pace

By Brumbies Media Unit

The Brumbies have kick started their 2012 Super Rugby campaign with preseason training at the AIS on Monday morning.

Minus Wallabies players, the squad assembled to test themselves through a range of disciplines.

One of the star performers of the day was new recruit Zack Holmes, who was one of the fastest, fittest and most explosive.

A West Australian native, Holmes was picked up by the Brumbies after strong performances for his club side Northern Suburbs in Sydney’s Shute Shield.

Holmes has also represented Australia on the Sevens circuit and joins the Brumbies with great anticipation.

“Testing today has been tough but exciting,” Holmes said.

“There are a great group of young guys here all around my age, 20 to 21, with plenty of enthusiasm.”

The lively utility back said he would be working hard throughout the Brumbies preseason.

“[I’m aiming to stay] injury free, get quicker, get bigger and work on my skills,” he said.

“With guys like Bernie [Stephen Larkham] and George Gregan I just want to learn as much as I can. There’s no better place to learn really, we’ve got two of Australia’s greatest players so if you can’t learn here you can’t learn anywhere.”

Larkham helped with speed testing on Monday morning, tracking times for pace men like Tom Cox, Tevita Kuridrani and Robbie Coleman.

He said Holmes stood out early in the Brumbies recruitment process and that he held high hopes for the promising player.

“Zack’s a very good trainer. I’ve seen him play a couple of times in the Sydney competition and we’ve recruited him as a utility back,” Larkham said.

“He’s certainly got a lot of potential. There are 12 new members of the squad with the average age being just 22, it’s a new generation and it’s a younger breed I guess but our squad is full of potential.”

Zack Holmes
DOB: 30/5/1990
Pos: Utility back
H/W: 1.75m, 87kg

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
To list the squad by sections:

Props: 1. J. Yanuyanutawa, 3. D. Palmer, 1/3 J. Owen, 1/3 B. Alexander
Hookers: S. Moore, S. Siliva
2nd Row: P. Kimlin, L. Power, B. Hand, S. Carter
6: B. Mowen
7: M. Hooper, C. Fainga'a
8: I. Vaea, S. Hoiles, F. Auelua (also centre)

Scrumhalves: N. White, I. Prior
Flyhalves: M. To'omua, C. Leali'ifano
Centres: P. McCabe, R. Coleman, A. Smith, J. Tomane, T. Kuridrani
Wing: H. Speight, K. Sitauti, T. Cox
Fullback: Z. Holmes, C. Crawford

EPS:
Prop: R. Murphy
1-2: S. Sio
Lock: D. Sigg
Lock/6: S. Fardy
Back 3: J. Mogg

Funny – Jake said he was going for a 17/13 split and he's got 16/14. ......[Mogg is listed as the 31st player, but it may be a mistake as he is also mentioned in the EPS.]

I just realised that the Brumbies didn't have anybody listed as a 6. Even Mowen was called an 8 but no doubt he will be first off the rank to play 6. Kimlin can play there and so can Fardy from the EPS but they are thin on the blindside flank.

They are also skinny in the hardness department. They will all put their bodies on the line but I would call only 2. Moore and 8. Vaea naturally hard men with Power, the Kiwi, and Palmer, close. I would be concerned about Jerry Y and Siliva because they both play loose. I can see Murphy taking Jerry's contract spot if things work out as I think.

One of the flyhalves will have to step up this year with Giteau gone. The only certainties I would have starting in the backs are 9. White, 12. Coleman and McCabe. I don't know much about Prior but if he is better than White, then he is bloody good.

It's going to be a lolly scramble for seven of the players who could wear numbers 11/13/14 and 15 and I'm like Sergeant Schultz about Tom Cox: I know nothing. Holmes from WA has had a top season in the Shute Shield, as has Crawford but I wouldn't be surprised to see McCabe at fullback when he is fit.

Come to think of it though, Lilo could have the 15 jersey and McCabe play elsewhere. They will need all their experienced backs on the park when the season starts until the best of the new guys put up their hands.

Just a few thought s about the Brumbies preseason and looking to 2012........

S. Siliva really needs to stand up with Moore being the only super rugby experienced hooker. Set piece will be fine with Moore, outside that I'm waiting to see what Silvia has to offer for now. The Brumbies haev a good set of props.

I'm expecting Leon Power to surprise, he had a solid ITM campaign and has already built a match fit locks body, and he’ll be ready to go.

I think Coleman may be in trouble winning a starting spot at 12 more due to size not ability. To'omua will need to do a lot of work to win the starting flyhalf jersey. Coleman could play at 10 as he has played with scrum half Nic White before with success. I think Coleman could bring out the best in To'omua in preseason training.

F. Auelua will be a revelation at 8, like Power they bring size and outside experience to the Brumbies and Hoiles may have to play some blindside with Mowen to get game time. I'm not sure Hoiles still sees himself as a footballer as he has spent more time in the stands with the players wives, he can prove me wrong or go home. I'm sure he realises now he doesn't have a starting jersey.

However Ben Mowen was a great signing, I'd have him over Rocky any day, the Rock already looks out for the start of the 2012 Tahs season due to injury. Vaea will be even better this year under Jake White. Sam Carter needs to put a few more kegs of muscle on in the gym, 3-4 kgs would do it, but he has plenty of talent. He may be well on his way to doing this as I write.

Openside flankers Faingga and Hooper will push each other again to start. I think Jake White may favour Hooper as he is more of a fetcher but I think Faingga will really show his full potential this coming season, he is more like a George Smith with all round ball skills and reads the game well.

Backs need to be able to defend or the Brumbies will have little to offer in 2012. Cam Crawford has to fire and at least one other new outside backs Kuridrani, Sitauti or Holmes need to fire as well. Speight played some good rugby in 2011 and will be better for it in 2012, he needs to get more involved, go looking for work and don't be so conservative on the field. Tomane, Sitauti, Cox all will have opportunity to show what they can bring to the game. Over the past few years the brumbies have signed a lot of backs who haven’t come through. They've trained a lot of guys who were just taking up space in the showers, but this wont happen in Jake Whites tenure. Lets hope all these guys work hard to lift and don’t take it for granted as I don’t see Jake White putting up with under achievers on his return to coaching. As for the scrum halves the brumbies are lucky to have 2 new very talent young guys covering the role and they both will give much needed quality service to the forwards and backs. And unforunately we'll have to wait for McCabe to return.

In regards to Dave Wessel’s, Getting in a defensive coach early is a great idea, with such a young team defence is of the upmost importance. It they fail to learn, they’ll get a beating weekly against more experienced teams in 2012. But they have enough offensive talent to worry any team.

I have spoken with a SA republican about Wessel’s and he is well known but wasn't this years Stormers defensive coach but was at coaching a (Cape Town?) college.

If Jake White can lock down a solid team defensive structure the Brumbies will be in for a very exciting 2012. But that’s what South African coaches do, build strong defence. Gregan will look after the scrum halves and Larkham really needs to create a standout flyhalf and understudy out of this playing group. He has got some good lads to work with.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Thanks for posting those articles Slim.

This is a chilling quote: The only player who was a regular starter from last year's backline is winger Henry Speight. It's kind of what I was referring to earlier worrying about the backline as a unit.

Some of the new lads will jump out - but which one - or two? I hope Tomane is as good as he was when I last saw him play rugby union - at the pro level. He was the best player in the 2007 Oz Schools tournament - playing for Qld in a handy team that included Slipper, Schatz, To'omua, Morahan,Tapuai, JOC (James O'Connor) and Toua.

The mouth waters.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
mudskipper - good post - some comments.

Siliva - It will be good for him to have Moore as a model because he lacks Moore's hardness. Have seen him for Oz U/20s, but more importantly for Force A when they were back east before the Super season this year. He's skilful with the step and the pass, but he has to run over folks and bash them when they have the pill or maybe even when they don't. Gifted though.

Power - I like him a lot: hard, skilful at the lineout and a pain in the arse.

Coleman - I fear that with Coleman that you have a flyhalf with the Gits - a runner who will under utilise his 12 or anybody else he is on the run with. Maybe not - let's see.

Aulea - I've seen quite a bit of him for Toulon including at 12 and 13. I don't think the Brumbies will need him in the backs, yet he didn't strike me as one who earned his pay in the forwards. He never looked fit but he was effective in the centres and surprising deft in the lineouts. Good football brain. Let's see how trim he is when he arrives.

Vaea - Stood next to him when he was yellow carded for Southern Districts against Randwick at the end of the season. He was as mad as hell and I was scared shitless in case I looked at him the wrong way. You look up his weight and it's not big booper stuff but it looks like his shorts are covering two bowling balls in the back. He has a powerful arse and wide hips which means a low centre of gravity and that's why he can run over folks after a few steps with his leg drive.

Mowen - good acquistion. Was surprised the Tahs didn't keep him but IIRR some of the posts in the forum said it was about what length of contract was involved. It was all the more surprising because it turned out, in hindsight, that Rocky wasn't committed to the Tahs when Mowen was released.

Carter - more hardness will benefit this promising young player more than added weight which will come naturally in being in a pro environment provided it can take. Has to be encouraged to knock people over even if they don't deserve it. Very talented though.

Hooper/Colby - I thought that Hooper got ahead of Colby by the end of the 2011 season when it was fairly even in 2010. I saw these two play left and right flanker for the Brumby runners before the S14 last year and they were a dynamite pairing. With the lack of 6s in the squad I wonder if they will both start in some games this year against horses for horse s opponents?

As for the backs we are all whistling in the wind and no amount of hopeful sentences will matter. We have to watch this space.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I heard Aulea got serious and a lot fitter... He has a massive motor in him, physically fit he could do a lot of damage to any Super rugby team.

Brumbies will have an exceedingly large pack next season with, Power, Kimlin, Hand, Carter along with Mowen, Aulea, Vaea, Moore, Jerry, Carter and Siliva. The largest pack for a very long time, perhaps ever.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just hope White will make the tough decisions.

Despite Hoiles supposedly still being the 'captain' for now, he has no place in the starting XV ahead of Vaea, or possibly even Fotu...

I would have him fighting out for a bench spot with Fainga'a, who is the up and comer...

And then there's the prop situation.

Alexander has signed on with the promise he'd be considered a TH, but Palmer is their scrummaging messiah at TH.

If I was White I would say to Benny: "Sure, I will consider you to be a TH, but you're going to sit on the bench. However, there's a LH spot up for grabs if you're keen to work on your technique?"

I think he needs to realise that it would be better to be the first choice LH replacement for Robinson at the Wallabies, then potentially being the 3rd TH behind Kepu or Slipper... or possibly even Palmer and Ma'afu on form...

Does Power call the lineouts in the ITM? Hand has been a solid performer from the Brumbies, but it's time to advance and find a good lock partner for Kimlin.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Let's hope they play big as much as they weigh big.

Jake likes big packs. He also likes to see them sweat bullets on the training paddock. Must be a schoolmaster thing.

You expect the Brumbies to have serious conditioning programs, no?

Anyway, looking forward to the season. Will be headed to Canberra for a game or two for sure so there you have it. Jake's already brought more value. One more ticket sold ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
White has appointed Dean Benton, who was a former Wallabies S&C coach, and more recently the Brisbane Broncos' former performance director.

The Brumbies have started their pre-season long before everyone else, and with only a few Wallaby players not available during that time they should hopefully be a pretty tight unit by the time the season comes around...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Must agree here with Slim... the more time they work together in the off season the better...

referring to other blog comments, as for Alexander at Tight Head I think Jake comes as his own coach... Ben will have to earn his spot just like Hoiles... Power if he works hard in the off season should be a starter in 2012... here's to having no more passengers at the Brumbies in 2012... been there done that, no joy for anyone, players, coaches, management or fans. It just goes south... if the brumbies are building a new squad, build it on worth and hard work... the others are pretenders and can go home... or work harder for a starting spot...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Word around the clubs is that the Brumbies are starting to divide players amongst the local clubs - either as potential players or as something along the lines of mentoring.

Increased community engagement and fostering local rugby - lets hope Jake White et al come good on this..

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Word around the clubs is that the Brumbies are starting to divide players amongst the local clubs - either as potential players or as something along the lines of mentoring.

Increased community engagement and fostering local rugby - lets hope Jake White et al come good on this..

Sounds like a great idea... wish someone else had thought of it earlier.... :fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.