• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At this stage the Brumbies's only lock signed on for next year is Ben Hand.

Chisholm is likely to head overseas.

Kimlin is also a local so it would be a nice touch to see him stay.

Otherwise, aside from hooker, the Brumbies' are pretty well covered in the other forward positions for next year with the following all signed on:

Hooker: Moore
Props: Alexander, Palmer, Ma'afu, Owen
Lock: Hand
Backrow: Fotu Auelua, Michael Hooper, Colby Fainga'a, Julian Salvi, Ita Vaea

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn't be too sure about Palmer staying if it is true that Alexander has been promised the TH position and it is likely to come to fruition. In that event I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he returns to the Tahs or goes to the Force. The Mules have no real LHP if Alexander does play THP next year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was probably silly of Fagan to promise Alexander the TH position...

I'm sure the new coach won't be too fond to play him there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Fagan is on record about Alexander - from the Australian 2nd Feb 2011

The Brumbies have made an extraordinary concession to Wallabies prop Ben Alexander to entice him to re-sign for another two years by agreeing to play him at tighthead next season.

Brumbies chief Andrew Fagan insisted yesterday that in negotiating with players he never guaranteed them a certain position nor selection.

"But there are rare exceptions," Fagan said.

I assumed that "next season" meant the 2011 season but maybe it meant 2012 because Alexander has started in every game this year at LHP.

News came out about Palmer signing in March 2010 but I haven't seen anything definite about the length of his contract. Maybe someone has a link that mentions the length of contract with authority.

IIRR the length of Baxter's contract was never in the public domain. If it is up this year and Palmer is available he could see more game time with the Tahs as more likely.

In that case: it's a pity that he left because Kepu is seizing a chance to prove himself as a THP - something I thought was unlikely at the start of the season.

PS: This is not the first time that I have been confused about the termination date of a Palmer contract. I thought his original Tahs contract expired this year and not in 2010.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You would think if Alexander is guaranteed time at THP then they need another LHP. I thought Jerry Y was leaving so they will be light

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They've also just upgraded Jono Owen's contract... and he's another tighthead...

Soooo... Alexander needs to suck it up and play LH because there's no one else left...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
They've also just upgraded Jono Owen's contract... and he's another tighthead...

Soooo... Alexander needs to suck it up and play LH because there's no one else left...

Didn't know that Jono had been upgraded to a Super contract. I had been earmarking him as going to the Force in one of my cunning, but unfounded, plans.

Ma'afu can play LHP and Palmer has played there for the Tahs, but they are not naturals.

They probably have too many props in their stable now but Tetera Faulkner would otherwise be a good LHP to have on the back burner. Eddie Aholelei is another possibility. Tetera has links with the Tahs and Eddie with the Rebels but it's first in, best dressed.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fagan is on record about Alexander - from the Australian 2nd Feb 2011

The Brumbies have made an extraordinary concession to Wallabies prop Ben Alexander to entice him to re-sign for another two years by agreeing to play him at tighthead next season.

Brumbies chief Andrew Fagan insisted yesterday that in negotiating with players he never guaranteed them a certain position nor selection.

"But there are rare exceptions," Fagan said

This report has left me bemused.

Could someone from Acapulco-by-the-lake please enlighten me? Your man Fagan, how many hats does he wear?

He is listed on the website as CEO and we all know about his role as chief executioner. But is he also chairman of selectors or maybe sharing the coaching duties with Bernie and the Git?

Perhaps being in charge of such a happy and contented organisation which ticks over like a Swiss watch he has time on his hands and just likes to help out where he can - a sort of odd job man.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Depending on which journo you ask at the SMH JOC (James O'Connor) has either signed on with the Rebels... or...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...late-play-to-sign-oconnor-20110416-1dinv.html

Brumbies making late play to sign O'Connor Chris Dutton
April 17, 2011

THE ACT Brumbies still hold hope of James O'Connor choosing Canberra over Melbourne, and their secret weapon is Stephen Larkham.

O'Connor wants to become a world-class playmaker and views Larkham as the kind of mentor capable of helping him reach that level. The Melbourne Rebels appeared to have snared the signature of one of Australian rugby's brightest stars on Friday when reports surfaced O'Connor had agreed to a deal with Super Rugby's newest franchise.

But O'Connor's manager - David Shand - called Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan on Friday night to assure him the 20-year-old had not discounted a move to Canberra.

Advertisement: Story continues below The Sun-Herald understands O'Connor has spoken with Larkham about a possible move to the capital and Fagan will meet with the whizkid and his manager early this week.

O'Connor and the Western Force will play the Brumbies today. ''From my understanding James is having some discussions with the Rebels and [the Force] and we're not sure where we sit,'' Fagan said.

''I think his aspirations are at No. 12 and to be a world-class playmaker and I think one of the reasons for him contacting us is because Stephen Larkham is here as a coach.

''His manager called to say the reports about the Rebels were incorrect and they were keen to continue discussions.'' He started the season at No. 10, but was moved to fullback last weekend struggling to display an influence against the Waratahs.

He will play at inside-centre against the Brumbies, taking on his former teammate Matt Giteau.

''If you get him more involved he's going to bit a lot more dangerous,'' Giteau said of O'Connor's move to inside-centre. ''When I was at the Force I played a lot with him at 12 so I know how dangerous he can be.''

And Force captain Nathan Sharpe insisted O'Connor's uncertain future would not be a distraction.

''There's not a lot of off-field stuff [going on], it's probably more about James O'Connor,'' Sharpe said.

''That's up to him to handle so for us as a team it's not a huge worry.''

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Isn't Larkham in charge of the Brumbies backs at the moment? That ain't no advertisement for slick backline play

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Would prefer we stuck with To'omua and let JOC (James O'Connor) go to the Rebels to play 10. Need to keep the 10s spread through the country.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn't Larkham in charge of the Brumbies backs at the moment? That ain't no advertisement for slick backline play

It certainly would've been interesting to see how the backline would've shaped up if they'd started the season with To'omua at 10 and Giteau at 12...

There have been times in the past couple of weeks where the attack has looked better, but the tri-halves concept can get a tad messy... and having a scrumhalf who clears the ball quickly in the second half would be nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.