• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't really disagree with any of this but what RA does with its own domestic products has little to no impact on WR (World Rugby), nor would they care what the competitive media landscape within Australia is like beyond which one is gonna pay them the most money for that 7 week tournament. What you've described there to me seems more like what mediaco's would be thinking about strategically, not WR (World Rugby).

The value of the rights are definitely influenced by each other but it doesn't definitely mean that's always going to be positive. And you only really need to look back to the Ashes away (broadcast on 9 rather than 7/fox) last year to see that going with a rival network doesn't diminish the product too much or create too many headaches. There are probably less hurdles there then we think.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I think what I’ve described there is why there’s value in negotiating as a bundle and how the broadcast rights influence one another, also why i find it slightly perplexing that the broadcast agreements were negotiated individually.

As for the value; i think negotiating products like the Ashes which are enshrined in the anti-siphoning list and required to be on FTA, are a slightly different scenario to the 2027 RWC will be heavily geared towards SVOD/Stan Sport, even the recent update to the anti-siphoning legislation saw the removal of quarter and semi finals, so outside of matches featuring Australia and the final itself, the rest can be parked behind a pay-wall.

It’s the pay-wall which shifts the business model from a one-off event designed to capitalise on advertising revenue in a condensed period, to that of a SVOD business model which works to attract new consumers into the subscription service, and retaining them as long as possible.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I’m sure they had their reasons, it might be related to how they view the Australian market/RA, or could be something entirely as simple as WR (World Rugby) having a deadline to lock in contract negotiations so they can forecast funding cycles which didn’t align to RA’s negotiations.

JRugby2

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think what I’ve described there is why there’s value in negotiating as a bundle
Well you haven't because you've described what benefit MediaCo's get from purchasing the rights to big events (more subscribers staying on post event) - and the impact this will have on Rugby Australias ability to negotiate with Fox/Kayo unlikely to bid (this only impacts RA). I can absolutely see that the value of the next Rugby Aus/Super Rugby broadcast deal is diminished by not packaging in the world cup, but I can't see how the inverse is true for World Rugby?

Why does Super Rugby's media value impact the media the value of the RWC, for World Rugby?

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Well you haven't because you've described what benefit MediaCo's get from purchasing the rights to big events (more subscribers staying on post event) - and the impact this will have on Rugby Australias ability to negotiate with Fox/Kayo unlikely to bid (this only impacts RA). I can absolutely see that the value of the next Rugby Aus/Super Rugby broadcast deal is diminished by not packaging in the world cup, but I can't see how the inverse is true for World Rugby?

Why does Super Rugby's media value impact the media the value of the RWC, for World Rugby?
It’s right there, what‘s of value to the broadcaster is also of value to the organisation selling the product
you've described what benefit MediaCo's get from purchasing the rights to big events (more subscribers staying on post event)

Paying a premium to stream big events on a SVOD is only worth it if they can leverage that to improve the subscriber retention rates long term, of which Stan Sport is currently a laggard in the industry. Maximising the value of the RWC(for Stan Sport) will be achieved through retaining those subscribers as paying subscribers, of which Super Rugby/Test matches plan an important role and complement one another.

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Without again explaining in detail. How we allowed a US media company to design a made for cable product and then adopted the cable concept as our main competition still annoys me how incredibly inept our leadership was at the time

Zonker

Frank Row (1)
one of the problems with Fox was some of the commentary team imo.

ppl are happy with Stan cause they nailed the commentary teams where as fans of rugby on Fox had enough of Kearns, Marto and Rod.
I am sure there is no truth to the rumour that Fox’s proposed lineup was Stephen Hoiles, Bryan Habana and Sonny Bill…..

Last edited: