• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Bullrush, Have you just seen the incident or just the still?

DUkaOGW.gifv

Left arm wraps around before the right shoulder makes contact.

And the right forearm makes contact with the chest: the shoulder never touches, and Barrett's head stays still until his back hits the ground and whiplash comes into play.

I've reassessed, and it's definitely worth a yellow, but that's the full extent.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Also:

If Mako gets suspended, so should Barrett (52 minutes):

No arms shoulder charge on a Furlong rolling away and nowhere near the ruck.

Where's the off field yellow?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jordie Barrett into the ABs 23 this week. Perhaps a start at 15 with Dagg out to the wing. ABs need to deal with the high ball better, Jordie's the guy to do it.
Either that or the Beauden Barrett to 15 and Cruden to 10 like they finished the first test and Jordie to the bench

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am looking forward to a deciding match between the ABs and the Lions as lets face it the Lions are bigger threat to AB's then the sides they will face in the Rugby Championship.

What sometimes annoys me is how many people underestimate the challenges from Lions side of integrating players from 4 countries who have not effectively in most cases played with each other.....and compete against the best side in the world on home territory. Credit where it is due for Lions to get this to a decider which to me shows how much Northern Hemisphere rugby has improved.

I am actually disappointed NZ media has not given Lions a bit more credit for what they are offering to the AB's as a competitive game / challenge. Poor form personally.

Bullrush

Geoff Shaw (53)
Also:

If Mako gets suspended, so should Barrett (52 minutes):

No arms shoulder charge on a Furlong rolling away and nowhere near the ruck.

Where's the off field yellow?

Yeah I have seen it and yes - Vunipola makes contact with Barrett's head.

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 8.16.58 pm.png

And if this is "nowhere near the ruck" then it's little wonder Australian team struggle to beat the ABs at the ruck area.

(arrows added for @cyclopath - LOL)

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 8.01.06 pm.png

I'm not too upset by the whole thing - judiciary has gone the AB way at times and hasn't this time. That's sport.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
The only real difference between those two incidents is which side of things Barrett's physicality (or, lack thereof) is on.

I'm not going to go any further on the Refereeing and judicial system, because it's been overwhelmingly in the All Blacks favour for well over a decade, and that's really against the Spirit of the celebration BILs tour.

All three incidents in this game have received appropriate punishments, and I'm looking forward to the decider, when hopefully the team can overcome its awful coaching and pinch a series win.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
What's the forecast for the weekend?
Thought the ABs didn't handle the conditions well last week, which is pretty suprisingly given the touch ups they've given us in the wet over the years

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
The only real difference between those two incidents is which side of things Barrett's physicality (or, lack thereof) is on.

I'm not going to go any further on the Refereeing and judicial system, because it's been overwhelmingly in the All Blacks favour for well over a decade, and that's really against the Spirit of the celebration BILs tour.

All three incidents in this game have received appropriate punishments, and I'm looking forward to the decider, when hopefully the team can overcome its awful coaching and pinch a series win.
Easily the worst post I have ever read on this website.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
It’s like a slew of semi-deranged opinions trussed up as factoids and dumped no-fucks-given on the main Forii Generalis boardwalk, at high noon, in a see-through body bag.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Jordie Barrett into the ABs 23 this week. Perhaps a start at 15 with Dagg out to the wing. ABs need to deal with the high ball better, Jordie's the guy to do it.

Gotta do something, our exits were shite. Like I said a coupla weeks back, we just can't afford to have two of Naholo, RIoane & JSav on the park at the same time unless one of them develops a decent exit kick. So yeah, Dagg back to the wing & either JBarrett or DMac at 15, please.

Thought the ABs didn't handle the conditions well last week, which is pretty suprisingly given the touch ups they've given us in the wet over the years

Forecast is rain developing & fairly heavy by kickoff. But as I've said before, you just can't pick Auckland's weather esp this far out. If MetService are stil saying rain developing come Saturday morning I'll believe it but until then it could be anything, really.

I'm amazed that someone like Brian Smith has fallen for the old "Barrett missed three kicks therefore AB should've won" fallacy. Obviously, if the first kick goes over it's a restart on halfway & maybe we don't get back down the other end for the one that went over in the 20th (& maybe SBW doesn't get sent off in the 25th :)). Likewise both the ones he missed in the second half were followed by a successful kick within 2-3 minutes so I really don't see how his argument stacks up. It's what I'd call smoko table analysis.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/brian-smiths-analysis-barretts-boot-bigger-factor-than-red-card/

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Always amused me when people use that one too WOB, if any one act on a rugby match is changed it can mean everything following is then different to. Still it helps to keep the hacks employed I suppose!

I am actually disappointed NZ media has not given Lions a bit more credit for what they are offering to the AB's as a competitive game / challenge. Poor form personally.
Actually I been reading a few of the writers from home really rating this Lions team, as they should I personally think it one of the best I have seen since 71, well that is what I reckoned early in tour, and seen not too much to change my mind.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Auckland will be some form of wet, so there'll definitely be two fullbacks in play for the AB's. I'm also not a fan of playing two low skill wingers in tandem, so will not be at all disappointed in the return to the sensible, and successful, dual fullback model.

As to who that second fullback will be, Mckenzie is deemed too small, so it'll be a Barrett. The question, then, is which one? Jordie is the least disruptive change, but Beauden the more experienced candidate. The selection may also depend on whether or not Cruden pays the price for that brain dead 79th minute kick. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

EDIT: Crotty is also supposedly set to start in the midfield, so that's a big bonus.

Cameron McConaughey

Frank Row (1)
Rain forecast on the weekend and that plays enormously into the favour of the BIL. The All Blacks are dynamite in dry weather as their ability to throw it around and play adlib football is unquestionable. BIL want to get into the battle, as they did last week. I predict this to be close, very close.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Jordie was favoured at 15 during the June tests as I recall over moving Beauden there and starting Cruden at 10. If consistent with selections, that is what will happen.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Auckland will be some form of wet, so there'll definitely be two fullbacks in play for the AB's. I'm also not a fan of playing two low skill wingers in tandem, so will not be at all disappointed in the return to the sensible, and successful, dual fullback model.

As to who that second fullback will be, Mckenzie is deemed too small, so it'll be a Barrett. The question, then, is which one? Jordie is the least disruptive change, but Beauden the more experienced candidate. The selection may also depend on whether or not Cruden pays the price for that brain dead 79th minute kick. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

EDIT: Crotty is also supposedly set to start in the midfield, so that's a big bonus.

McKenzie is definitely way too small. The guys brilliant and still super young but he has poor tackling technique and can't compensate with size or force. Won't see an AB jersey until he changes something. See below:

Couldn't stop a prop with a full 30 meters of space.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

To be fair Strewth, this Lions team is a different quality altogether than the Wallabies, they are good enough to pressure the ABs in the wet, so made them struggle!