• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
To be fair Strewth, this Lions team is a different quality altogether than the Wallabies, they are good enough to pressure the ABs in the wet, so made them struggle!

The Wallabies are a festering pile of incompetence and poverty. Not a fair comparison.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
The Wallabies are a festering pile of incompetence and poverty. Not a fair comparison.

C'mon Two, they not that bad, I only used them as a comparison because Strewth had mentioned them , think the Lions are in a different class to almost any other team wth perhaps the ABs and maybe England etc n the same bracket. I honestly believe that is why most kiwis(and meaning proper rugby fans, not internet warriors) have not been too upset at the loss last week. In fact it real good to see ABs really tested, as no team no matter how good are unbeatable and should be thought of as such!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Always amused me when people use that one too WOB, if any one act on a rugby match is changed it can mean everything following is then different to. Still it helps to keep the hacks employed I suppose!

Actually I been reading a few of the writers from home really rating this Lions team, as they should I personally think it one of the best I have seen since 71, well that is what I reckoned early in tour, and seen not too much to change my mind.

Glad to hear I must read online only the ratbag NZ tabloids....as usually found NZ'ers will give credit where due e.g. when Ireland defeated AB's last year for their maiden win. I think AB's do themselves proud on that front in how they handled that defeat which keeps their brand strong....just not been sure on media side....but take note you have read NZ press rating this Lions side.

Most of us are in awe of AB's where they are at skill wise at present as just gone to another level over last 12 months...and shows to me how Northern Hemisphere rugby really is on the improve (as many pundits have stated) to offer such competitive and entertaining matches against ABs.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Dagg back to wing, JBarrett at 15, recall for JSav & run-on debut for Laumape. RIoane appears to have gotten lost en route from Wellywood back to Auckland, no doubt Dismal has all the info on that..........

New Zealand: 15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Israel Dagg, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read (c), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Samuel Whitelock, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Joe Moody. Replacements: 16 Nathan Harris, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Charlie Faumuina, 19 Scott Barrett, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Aaron Cruden, 23 Malakai Fekitoa

Also it's Read's 100th (25th as captain) & if they get on Cruden & Faumuina's 50th.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Geez a big call starting Jordie, but Shag and Co have never been afraid of these kind of calls!

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Pressure on the forwards now. That backline doesnt exactly have defensive rigidity stamped across it......

ps sounds like Hansen is sky fucking high on his own Kool-Aid:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/05/steve-hansen-all-blacks-lions-auckland-third-test
“Whatever happens on Saturday is going to be great for us,” Hansen said at one point. “If we win it’ll be good, because we’ll have come through a moment. If we lose, we’ll have to look at ourselves again and say: ‘Righto, what can we take and learn from that?’ Yes, it will go down in history we lost the series, or that we won the series, but it’s really irrelevant in the long term of a player’s career. Because he’ll have to move on to the Rugby Championship. And there will be an expectation that we will play well in the Rugby Championship. Whilst in that moment it will hurt, we’ll let it go pretty quickly.”
That last line sounds like he's given up already.

LOSE THIS AND ITS A NEVER ENDING STAIN YOU HIPPIE NUTJOB. wft. "Really irrelevant", tell that to Kaino who left half a million on the table in Japan to come back for this. Players have structured their careers around this match.

“The coach’s job is not just about winning, it’s about maximising the talent and then making sure in the rest of his life that person has the tools to be able to be a decent person. If you can do that, that’s success. Doesn’t matter what else you do. Winning things, great, that’s a bonus. But the reason I coach is because I want to see your smile on your face when you can do something you couldn’t do before.”
Luxurious insanity. He sounds like someone who's never been fired from a coaching job. Your not paid the big bucks to see smiley faces with wins as a bit of a "bonus". Good God, he sounds like some sort of tenured ivory tower professor who's lost touch as to why he's there.
"Dont worry about that old once-in-a-lifetime Lions tour series thing, did, you grooooowwww as a perrrrson, thats allll that matters."

FFS. Is it too late to bring back Grizz Wyllie?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Shit, we did okay with 14.
15 players will be luxury if we can keep them on for the full 80.

Wonder if any Lions replicated Tindall's escapades in Queenstown.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Gatland has retained the same 23 from Wellington:

British & Irish Lions: 15 Liam Williams, 14 Anthony Watson, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Owen Farrell, 11 Elliot Daly, 10 Johnny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Sean O’Brien, 6 Sam Warburton (c), 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola
Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Jack McGrath, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Courtney Lawes, 20 CJ Stander, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Ben Te’o, 23 Jack Nowell

zer0

John Thornett (49)
FWIW, out of the recent three test NH tours, the second test is typically the closest and the third the most lopsided.

2012 NZL vs IRE II: 19-3 (+16)
2012 NZL vs IRE III: 60-0 (+60)
2014 NZL vs ENG II: 28-27 (+1)
2014 NZL vs ENG III: 36-13 (+23)
2016 NZL vs WAL II: 36-22 (+14)
2016 NZL vs WAL III: 46-6 (+40)

2013 France are the anomaly in that their first test was the closest (23-13), while they got pantsed slightly more in the second test (30-0) than the third (24-9).

While the Lions are obviously stronger in depth than any of those individual sides, it does suggest a general trend in All Black performances, and NH fatigue, over a series, I think. Guess we'll find out for sure in a little over 48 hours.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Interestingly, the last time the ABs lost to the Lions (1993) the Lions win was at Athletic Park in Wellington. The Lions also lost the Eden Park test in 1993 30-13.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Pressure on the forwards now. That backline doesnt exactly have defensive rigidity stamped across it..

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/05/steve-hansen-all-blacks-lions-auckland-third-test

LOSE THIS AND ITS A NEVER ENDING STAIN YOU HIPPIE NUTJOB. wft. "Really irrelevant", tell that to Kaino who left half a million on the table in Japan to come back for this. Players have structured their careers around this match.

Luxurious insanity. He sounds like someone who's never been fired from a coaching job. Your not paid the big bucks to see smiley faces with wins as a bit of a "bonus". Good God, he sounds like some sort of tenured ivory tower professor who's lost touch as to why he's there.
"Dont worry about that old once-in-a-lifetime Lions tour series thing, did, you grooooowwww as a perrrrson, thats allll that matters."

C'mon DP, to be fair , you maybe taking just bits and pieces from the interview, he said it would hurt to lose a game of rugby but it not as bad as losing someone, had been talking about his days as a cop. He also said the winning or losing you move on quickly, ie after winning the 15 WC, the ABs thought we have won it, now it's irrelevant so move on! Just goes to show if you leave out parts of interview you can make it sound however you want. and why we should take most newspaper write ups with a huge grain of salt1

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
And best news is apparently Ben from accounts has actually had no concussion this year, seems he has an inner ear problem that was causing the symptoms!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pressure on the forwards now. That backline doesnt exactly have defensive rigidity stamped across it..

*BREAKING NEWS*
Hansen has emergency plastic surgery and is now this guy!
Tony-Robbins.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
It's stopped raining in Auckland & MetService are saying it may stay dry until late Saturday or early Sunday, if theyre right i guess we'll find out tomorrow if the last drainage upgrade was money well spent.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Looking forward to a good clean match and the BIL to win the series.

Much will depend on the Refs interpretations and him not being intimidated by usual AB tactics or crowds. Would love to see more Y/C for continual AB infringements - some would call them continual professional fouls