• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Boks v Blecks match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Not convincing from either side really but worryingly enough the ABs still managed to put 40 points on them and not hit top speed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So I have to ask the question: what the hell has De Villiers achieved and/or learned from the last two weeks? His boys have copped a couple of hidings and we've only seen a few of them look like top line players. The last two weeks have been a waste for the Boks I would suggest.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So I have to ask the question: what the hell has De Villiers achieved and/or learned from the last two weeks? His boys have copped a couple of hidings and we've only seen a few of them look like top line players. The last two weeks have been a waste for the Boks I would suggest.

Not if the "best" players are getting in better shape at home, I guess. Not that I excuse sending a makeshift team, but given that only a few of these players are in the best team, have they really lost much? I don't know.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Not convincing from either side really but worryingly enough the ABs still managed to put 40 points on them and not hit top speed.

Dissapointed with the ABs at times, i thought we took the foot off the throat too often and some of the passing was wayward with wrong options taken at time. We really needed someone to straighten up on attack and it is noticeable that we don't have as much pick and go from the forwards yet. Carter had a fantastic match but is still a worry with the boot, of course the swirling wind at the caketin didn't help but his accuraccy has dropped and he is not the kicker he once was.

It was a step up from the Fiji match and with another 5-6 players to come into the side next week, I think we are building quite nicely.

It is a big challenge next week for a number of reason so I think we will see a very good All Black performance at Eden Park (as we normally do).

At time, I thought the Boks did pretty well. Thought they were better than the Brisbane match

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not if the "best" players are getting in better shape at home, I guess. Not that I excuse sending a makeshift team, but given that only a few of these players are in the best team, have they really lost much? I don't know.

I believe in continuity in selection and building patterns, match fitness and combinations over a number of games is important and for mine PdV has blown that chance. We'll see though I guess. I'll make the call now, however, that the AB's will go over and flog the Boks in the Republic.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
A couple of positives for the Bokke I thought were Russouw has some real impact at 8 and Johnson is quite a handy bench player. The ring in lock played well, Steyn is a woeful fullback and Stegman was just plain ineffective.

I think the Bokke will look better when their first strength team is back but the other possibillity is they may just be exposed as not match fit.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Pretty horrible by the Boks in that second half. Blecks all over the wrong side of the breakdown etc. but what can you expect?

Bok players: Thought Mostert was alright on debut (despatched John Afoa anyway). Rappelle and Johnson made a positive impact when they came on. Danie Rossouw, as ever, toiled all night and would be my best Bok player on park. Corey Jane's ineffectual little jump at him was my favorite moment of the match.

All Bleck players: Corey Jane had a good night, other than the aforementioned hop at a charging Rossouw. Colin Slade looked alright when he came on too. Sonny Bro nervous at first, but some nice touches towards the end. Jerome Kaino was a bit quiet.

Overall I'd say the Blecks won by a big margin without being convincing. Says a lot about where the Boks are at the present moment.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I believe in continuity in selection and building patterns, match fitness and combinations over a number of games is important and for mine PdV has blown that chance. We'll see though I guess. I'll make the call now, however, that the AB's will go over and flog the Boks in the Republic.

I think you're right, I'm just playing Devil's advocate a bit, trying to see what they might take from it. Ultimately, if they win the RWC, and that's a big if, who would really remember this match? Or care?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ian Jones saying the Wallabies will be all "unstructured" next week - citing Genia and Cooper. I think it's a mistake to see their play as unstructured. Cooper actually plays to a predictable plan - he only wants the ball to attack when he is good and ready. The fact he is hard to read, doesn't mean he's unstructured. Now if he was talking about our breakdown being unstructured...

G

GC

Still watching the match. All Blacks constantly off side and McCaw's cheating whilst remaining invisible is a sight to behold. Still, ABs the much better side and their wings + Carter outstanding.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Kept expecting the ABs to absolutely destroy the Bokke but it didn't happen, despite the scoreline. The Boks kept fighting and the ABs didn't always turn set piece and back line dominance into points. It often felt like the ABs were in second gear, which is fair enough given their scoreboard control, but it didn't feel as dominating as 40-7 suggests.

Biggest difference between this week and last, to my mind, was that the ABs were able to keep their foot on the throat in the last 20. The Wallabies need to learn this mental aspect of the game. As already mentioned, part of this is simply better bench play. But it's also just overall focus.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Not trolling, I am very worried about how the 50/50 calls all went NZ's way.

The Saffas were hard done by, for sure. There were some pretty inexplicable calls. At best, the Blecks got the reward for overall dominance.

T

tranquility

If I could invest in rugby players, I would invest a large proportion of my measly savings into Patrick Lambie. Great talent / composure.

Status
Not open for further replies.