• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ballymore redevelopment approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

chief said:
Rugby needs a boost, and this way Anna Bligh can honour one of her election promises by achieving new jobs. Although it won't create many but it will certainly help. I will remind Australia once again what Rugby can provide compared to the World Cup; tourists

-Many British and Irish Lions fans will head down under in 2013
-Over 50,000 people will come to Australia when we next host the RWC (2020-2030's)
-People will visit for major test matches, particurly NZ fans when Australia becomes more competitive.

QLD government should look at those things when creating this feature, and realise that this should just be the start of funding for rugby in QLD, which has been non existent.

Who funded the Gold Coast Titan's centre of excellence?
im not fully aware of how the Gold Coast Titans building has been funded, however as far as im aware it was somewhat a joint development between the Titans and another developer, however the part funded by the Titans was funded through bank loans.

C

chief

Kevin Rudd will never give any money to Ballymore yet alone Rugby ever. I exaggerate not, he hated Rugby and its message it had on Marist when he attended there, he absolutely detested it says a good source. I don't think he has a personal vendetta, but I do think it will prevent any source of money coming Rugby's way.

T

TOCC

chief said:
Kevin Rudd will never give any money to Ballymore yet alone Rugby ever. I exaggerate not, he hated Rugby and its message it had on Marist when he attended there, he absolutely detested it says a good source. I don't think he has a personal vendetta, but I do think it will prevent any source of money coming Rugby's way.
It doesn't matter whether Rudd is find of the Wallabies or not, decisions aren't made on personal opinion alone

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
TOCC said:
chief said:
It doesn't matter whether Rudd is find of the Wallabies or not, decisions aren't made on personal opinion alone
Are you not familiar with the Cult of Kevin? The committees are only there to take the fall when the schemes go all pear-shaped! ;)

C

chief

TOCC said:
chief said:

I'm aware of that, but Rugby will not recieve funding. 7's may receive some AIS funding as its an Olympic sport. But anything for a new academy of Rugby is simply not happening for Rugby Union.

C

chief

I even doubt this will happen. They need some sort of government funding, and Federal government will never chip in. If Australia wins the rights to a FIFA WC (unlikely) Ballymore could receive $$$ if it were to be a training ground. But that wouldn't be much.

Edit: Just found out $195 million will go to sport. Surely Australia's good showing at the 7's tournament on the weekend should secure some sort of funding. I'd presume though it would go straight to the AIS

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The extra budget funding seems to be mostly aimed at Olympic sports. Sports that generally don't generate any revenue in this country, just costs. They completely ignored the report that was commissioned (sound familiar - they are making a habit of that), and instead to increasing funding to grass roots, they went against the recommendations (which were to reduce funding to elite level olympic sports and increase grass root funding, and funding to commercial sports), and of course they chucked money at the elite level olympic sports. Another short sighted political decision.

T

TOCC

your right scotty, it does seem pretty stupid, the report recommended that high participation sports such as afl, league, union, netball and soccer all receive increased funding at grass roots because that is whats going to really keep our kids active, and cut funding for elite low participation sports like archery, shooting, etc

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone else send letters of support for the council application? Just got the letter from BCC that its all a goer. Those wishing to appeal have 20 days. Even when its fully through, I am not sure how set the QRU are to go ahead. Regardless, with the letter from council came a list of all the supporters. Almost 1500. You could make a couple of decent footy teams out of those who 'sent letters of support':

15 Blair Connor
14 Rod Davies
13 Morgan Turinui
12 Anthony Fainga'a
11 Brando Va'aulu
10 Quade Cooper
9 Richard Kingi
8 Leroy Houston
7 Jake Schatz
6 Scott Higginbotham
5 James Horwill
4 Rob Simmons
3 James Slipper
2 James Hanson
1 Ben Daley

with reserves from:

Ezra Taylor
Jono Lance
Dom Shipperley
Danya Edwards
Andrew Shaw
Charlie Fetoia
Jack Kennedy
Ben Lucas
Brendan McKibbon
Adam Byrnes
Berrick Barnes
Van Humphries
Greg Holmes
Laurie Weeks
Ant Sauyer
Ed Quirk

And an 'Old Boys' Team of:

15 Mark McLindon
14 Ryan Constable
13 Anthony Herbert
12 Tim Horan
11 Ben Tune
10 Michael Lynagh
9 Jacob Rauluni
8 Greg Cornelsen
7 Tony Shaw
6 Mark Connors
5 John Eales
4 Rod McCall
3 Andrew Heath
2 Sean Hardman
1 Dan Crowley

And then just some interesting other names:

Terry Doyle
Serena Herbert
Steve Wilson
Peter Myers
Leo Williams
Michael Glover
Stephen Partridge
Ken Freer
Paul Reid
Mark Bell
Steve Timms
James Holbeck
Ben McGahn
Ben Whitaker
Phil Mooney
Will Colwell

A few favours called in, but really in the scheme of things they still got close to 1500 names.

T

TOCC

yeah interesting list, in regards to the Ballymore Development, we wont be seeing any action in the next 6-12 months at least, there are a few other key issues which need to be negotiated first.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see they've already completed the aquatic centre:

Attachments

• Ballymore.jpg
    Ballymore.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 220
C

chief

It also looks like the Federal Government has given 10 Million dollars to NRL to build headquarters for the NRL.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
I was under the vague impression that this whole re-development would eventually lead to the Reds playing at Ballymore again. Looks like it's just pre-season games.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah that was never the case. It was to get the place used more for elite training camps.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
It also looks like the Federal Government has given 10 Million dollars to NRL to build headquarters for the NRL.

where the hell is our money?

the aleague central coast club has been given money for an acad. i want a rugby one!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rugby won't get money from a Labour Government because it is an elitist sport primarily played by those who attended private schools (who have plenty of money anyway so who cares).

That was K-Rudd's rationale and the ARU & QRU have not effectively dispelled that theory in the 3 years since. Therefore - no federal govt funding for the redevelopment.

If the QRU/Reds want this to get up, they just need do one thing - win the comp. Everyone loves a winner. Win the comp, bring the crowds (and media attention and votes) and the funding will magically appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.