• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugby_man

The powers that be in Australian Rugby have published a flow chart which shows the pathway as they see it to NTS, Aust Schools, Aust 20's, S15, Wallabies. I agree with everything you say and also believe It should be Aust 18's not Aust Schools.

Having the Australian Schools side replaced by an Australian Under 18 side is the way to go. IMO there are far too many players picked for rep teams due to which school they go to. I just think that at club level, selections are much more reflective of players forms rather than which school side they play for. England seem to have gone that way and I think it's time we follow suit.

J

JJ

Another question on Browning, I saw that he is listed as a yr 11. Does this mean that he is 16 OR that he is doing senior over three years which would make him 18 and the same age as the NSW players next year? BSHS love that trick.

He was in Grade 10 last year. Grade 11 this year. Grade 12 next year. He will be 18 at the end of next year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lee,

I agree there is nothing wrong with staying at School an extra year, what I do think is odd that the QRU does is they have U19 colts, U20s is an international standard and we need QLD to acknowledge that.

R

rugby_man

I'm pretty sure Browning is 17 this year and currently in year 11. He made the Oz A side and then was called up for the Oz Schoolboys side to tour last year, all at the age of 16 along with Chris F'Sautia.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He was in Grade 10 last year. Grade 11 this year. Grade 12 next year. He will be 18 at the end of next year.

Do you mean that he will still be 18 at the end of next year or that his 18th birthday will occur then?

If he hasn't turned 17 yet that means he was only 15 when I saw him in the Qld Is 12 months ago. Wow.

I've seen a few ethnic Islander lads play above their age as tight five forwards but that doesn't apply here.

Most of us agree his future in senior rugby is as an 8 or 6 and I reckon he's going to big enough for pro rugby in what I think will be his best position - no.8

Does he have a NSW grandmother? :lmao:

PS Welcome aboard Tip.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
For what its worth, I heard today from a boy in the team that Sam Rieser although in final year, does'nt turn 17 unitll very late in the year. He could potentially repeat twice and still be only 18 for the 2012 schoolboys team.

Realisticly thats a waste of time and money if your only going to school to play rugby, especially at a GPS school.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I have deleted my post about the NSW HSC and why NSW players are older on average than Qld boys and that staying in school longer was not a bad thing, as some have taken it to be a NSW v Qld thing which is wasn't meant to be. I can see, in hindsight, why people would think that.

I have also deleted references to it. Cheers.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Lee,
I am sure it has been discussed before, but can someone explain to me how NSW beat QLD in the 16's last year. but yet this year in the opens QLD have available to them the 16's crop from last year only. Whilst NSW has last years 16's pluslast years 17's to pick from and we get dusted by QLD in the 1's & 2's?
This is a recurring theme, how can this be?

F

foxyloxy

Lee,
I am sure it has been discussed before, but can someone explain to me how NSW beat QLD in the 16's last year. but yet this year in the opens QLD have available to them the 16's crop from last year only. Whilst NSW has last years 16's pluslast years 17's to pick from and we get dusted by QLD in the 1's & 2's?

When will NSW people learn it's not about talent or ability thing.
To Queenslanders it's personal.
We won't beat passion. They love to beat us. It's been there as long as there has been 2 states.
Hasn't State of Origin shown us anything?

They didn't have a better team, they had better resolve.

C

chief

When will NSW people learn it's not about talent or ability thing.
To Queenslanders it's personal.
We won't beat passion. They love to beat us. It's been there as long as there has been 2 states.
Hasn't State of Origin shown us anything?

They didn't have a better team, they had better resolve.

You cannot just generalise QLD'ers like that. That's pretty poor form. As Lee said discussing which education system is more effective is far from relevant. Bringing State of Origin into it is just far from relevant. Sadly this is a OZ Schools Campionship Thread and not a QLD education system thread. If I wanted to read into this, I would use other outlets not on a Rugby forum.

P

PTB

9. Mark Bannon.
10. Sam Cox.
11. Ben Askew
12. JJ Purcell
13. Sean Cox
14. Lindsay Crook
15. Dillian Wallford

D

DEER HUNTER

Having the Australian Schools side replaced by an Australian Under 18 side is the way to go. IMO there are far too many players picked for rep teams due to which school they go to. I just think that at club level, selections are much more reflective of players forms rather than which school side they play for. England seem to have gone that way and I think it's time we follow suit.

I think you will get politics whether its school rugby or club, I think an Australian 18,s would be better option because it more people opportunity.
Lee, I read your history lesson on the other thread and appreciate the contribution that schools rugby has made to rugby in this country. What do you reakon ?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lee,

If you look at the sidesw selected for NSW and Qld this year you will see that very few of the 16's from 2009 have been selected in the open sides this year. i don't know why the reason for this in Qld but in NSW a lot of the boys from that winning 16's side are playing 2nd XV due to them being in Yr11 and are not selected in the relative school rep sides some exceptions to this are Clarrie Moore (injured during school trials), Rhys Dombkins (NSW 1), matt hulme (NSW 1), JJ Purcell (NSW 1), Michael Wells (NSW 11), Sam Baraket (NSW 11). I think next year hopefully the 2009 under 16 side will mostly be reunited and will give the tournament a big shake.

U

Upright

Lee,

Dare I say it, but selection! My involvement with NSW teams has extended over six years and there has always been debate over the teams selected. It is worth noting that from the 2008 under 16 NSW Schools team Roach, Apo and Goodman have made Aus or Aus A this year. The Sydney U16 team that year selected from the club under 16 state c'ships contained Miller, Gillespie, Reid,Luani,Donlan, Killingworth and Whyllie all selected in Aus or A's last week. Also in that Sydney team were Sutton,Larkin,Satiu - Eastwood, Askew - Warringah and Carmichael -Gordon all of whom are now playing 1sts Colts for their clubs as under 18's. These boys were "young"(under 17) HSCers last year and therefore not part of the school system this year with their peer group. It came as no surprise that the Sydney team beat the NSW schools team quite comfortably at the under 16 championships. Did I see a parallel with this years NSW 1 and 2, I think so, and the Combined States team brought this even more sharply into focus. Maybe I should go and look at my 2008 program to see where the Queensland boys have progressed to.
After all these years my observation is that school boy rugby is just that. I will be looking closely at the weekly program next year to see where these boys are playing I suspect it will be Colts (if at all)!

O

Overseer

Originally Posted by PTB
9. Mark Bannon.
10. Sam Cox.
11. Ben Askew
12. JJ Purcell
13. Sean Cox
14. Lindsay Crook
15. Dillian Wallford

I am not too sure and it seems such a waste for my first post, but could he be referring to the fact that those kids maybe were born in NSW. Just a guess.

C

catchpole

en forcer er,

In another era you could be discussing Stephen Hoiles? Debut in 2001 in Australian 7's at age 20, Super 12/14 and Australia A in 2004 at age 23 with no Australian Schools on his CV.

Food for thought. Similarities in style and size are worth considering - running game v. impact at breakdown and physicality?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lee, I read your history lesson on the other thread and appreciate the contribution that schools rugby has made to rugby in this country. What do you reakon ?

Not sure which history lesson your were talking about as I get a bit carried away with the history of rugby sometimes having lived through so much of it. :D

Whichever one of these two posts you are talking about you may like to read the other one if you missed it. The first one relates to schools being important to the 2nd survival of rugby in Oz when 'end of days' was threatened, and that indicates how important I think schools rugby has been.

Schools rugby is still vital, but in carrying on for pages and pages of threads about this player or that being dudded by selectors and this coach/selector or that being too influential we should not think that schools rugby is the end all. And folks should not think we think that; it's only a pastime.

We have to grow the game more outside of the schools systems and discover more Robbie Horne types. Horne went to a school that had no rugby and was cherry picked for CHS and NSW Schools from his junior club.

But I digress. The two recent history posts I referred to are at the bottom of the page of these links:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5113-RUGBYS-CULTURAL-PROBLEM

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5427-Bob-Dwyer-on-the-Bok-vs-ABs

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
It might have been a good move for Gerard McCallum, Hills Sports High and NSW 2 to pullout of the National C'ships prior to going to Brisbane. He has just been selected in the Australian Schoolboys rugby league team to tour Wales, England and France. Not a bad effort for a bloke who didn't make the original CHS squad!

Like in rugby, Queensland have dominated the schools rugby league landscape for a while now. Thankfully NSW CHS beat QLD in the final today. See http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=27940&australian-schoolboys-announced

N

NorthernSon

Im sorry I started a fiesty debate on the varying styles and merits of some schoolboy flankers but I read with interest the positive attributes passed on about particular schoolboy flankers.

So without wishing to pull the pin on a hand granade how about completing a TOP 10 as a list of merit on 6 and 7's over the past 2 years that are either still playing for their 1st XV or in first year colts that have been selected or missed OZ schoolboys selection.

1. Hopper (NSW)
2. Quirk (QLD)
3. Hickey (NSW)
3. Killingworth (NSW)
4. Gill (QLD)
5. O' Sullivan (NSW)
6. Goodman (NSW)
7. Miles Mc Caffrey (NSW)
8. Connor (NSW)
9. ???
10.???

Status