• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Imports should be sensible for the state of the Wallabies player pool as a whole and individual squads.

Props for example you probably don't want more than 2 on each side across the 4 franchises who are imports: in an ideal world some of those are Thompson-Stringer types as well, where it's an experienced backup to a pair of younger bodies in Bell/Lambert rather than the best 23 Ravai/Toomaga-Allen/Medrano types.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I dont think it has to be marquee players for it to be a positive, Ravai has been a net gain for the Reds and fans over the past 2 years.

Although arguably, Toomaga-Allen shouldn't have been signed, rather under a better model Pone Fa'amausili should have been sent from Melbourne to QLD when Tupou went south.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
But we don’t get marquee players
We've seen before that they don't necessarily need to be a marquee to be a draw for fans
1719377834968.png

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The issue is its his idea, and his idea may not be what most want.
I do not give a stuff what most want, most haven't a clue what might work and it isn't their money that will drive it.
If you believe Dru's model will work and he is smart enough to have some idea, then he should send it to Phil Waugh and anyone else he thinks might be able to add thoughts and influence and see if they believe it has legs.
Personally, I have no skin in the game as I am old by many standards and therefore it will only be my rugby for a few years. Youngsters strike me as wanting to shout emotional ideas with little reason and logic but they seem reluctant to do anything like sticking their heads above the parapet.
I will have a read of it and give him my thoughts, I suspect he won't need them.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm going to start leaving some of this stuff alone as we are all to well aware of the cyclic discussion these considerations prompt. For now though...

With respect, I think another obscuration, PP. "Show my the money" is an issue for RA and pro rugby. If we opt to change what we are doing it is the same existing issuer, not something new or specific to a domestic comp.

That said I doubt any radical change can be progressed right now. Survival is pretty much front and centre. As we shift through the immediate to short term - there is simply nothing left, imo, in Super to justify continuation as we are.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, survival is the key criteria for Rugby going forward. However, a failure to address the current over spend by the Super Rugby teams will ensure that target will become gradually harder and harder.
It is purely a financial discussion for Australian Rugby now. Super Rugby must be sustainable because while RA depends upon the Wallabies to bolster the coffers the Wallabies do not make sufficient to fund a financially failing competition. We have a competition that in order to survive must do one of two things, increase revenue or cut costs. I simply cannot see where these sustained revenue increases will come from, outside of the sugar hits from the BIL and RWC. Therefore, cost cutting is a must and the biggest cost is player retention. That is purely controlled by salaries. We cannot compete in the salary market now with France and Japan and we are losing players every year to the draw of the dollar overseas. We are keeping players here by saying you want to play for the Wallabies then you have to remain in Australia but I believe that is actually to the detriment of the financial situation of the game in Australia.

I do not know whether a domestic competition is the way to go or whether we should continue in conjunction with New Zealand. I actually do not know which one would offer more from a revenue perspective. However, I am fairly certain that the status quo is not a valid option for Australian Rugby. If RA cannot improve the P&L then Rugby in this country is going to continue circling the drain which will result in further cuts to the competition.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll play devils advocate.

I reckon the model of a WC every 24 years, a Lions tour every 12, pretty good years when England and Ireland tour and losses in all other years actually probably is pretty sustainable, especially with the World League cash injection coming.

Status quo probably just about works out over the cycle (although I think scrapping Giteau rule is inevitable)

I think we probably don't get to the next (home) WC if we employ a lot more pro rugby players, coaches and admin, which is what would we be required for any domestic comps. We go broke quicker than we do currently

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is purely a financial discussion for Australian Rugby now. Super Rugby must be sustainable because while RA depends upon the Wallabies to bolster the coffers the Wallabies do not make sufficient to fund a financially failing competition.

Completely agree here. Noting firmly that the Wallaby income is not a sustainable income for a comp. 2 issues, 1) we are locked into shrinkage like it or not right now; 2) Super funded without sufficient content and sufficient income is a dead end.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Noting firmly that the Wallaby income is not a sustainable income for a comp.
Is it not?

I think we have realised Wallaby income isn't sufficient to employ 5 teams worth of pro players domestically (but may be in the future with lots of cash forecast at international level soon?)

If we can work out a way to keep Wallabies competitive, there is a lot more cash to subsidise the local pro players over the next cycle.

I can see why RA do it. The opportunity for the game remains far higher at international level than any other option

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
That is an obscuration. The amount of talent lost in droves is due to insufficient teams. Right now with the ex-Rebels seeking a home, there are few slots been taken that the Rebels could use, that are otherwise filled. Much bigger issue right now is salary cap, available funds, and general commercials on a club by club basis.
No, it’s not an obscuration at all.

It’s quite simple, there are a limited number of contracts that can be signed to play in Australia. using them on mediocre foreign talent is silly when the current setup demands players must play in Australia to be eligible for the Wallabies

Last edited:

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
My understanding from reading the article on roar - those players have no obligation to play at Waratahs and they’ll still get their salary next year but be forced to play club rugby wherever they choose
Don't want to play for Force, Brumbies or Reds either?