• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
So we have an 8 team comp? That’s not enough teams for a proper competition nor is it enough content for broadcasters.

We have to face reality and leverage our strengths; Trans- Tasman is the best we have. We just need real commercial people in change of the Australian teams and managing the competition.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
So we have an 8 team comp? That’s not enough teams for a proper competition nor is it enough content for broadcasters.

We have to face reality and leverage our strengths; Trans- Tasman is the best we have. We just need real commercial people in change of the Australian teams and managing the competition.
We have leveraged our strengths for 25 years now and look where we are, you are never going to get those commercial people managing the competition or we would have had them by now, the structural limitations of the set up are the reason we,re in this mess.

An 8 team home and away competition with finals plus cross over games will get you between 20-23 games for the season, more content than you have now.

Last edited:

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know this is all just going to keep going around in circles, but I genuinely don't think it matters whether you have SRP (Super Rugby Pacific), a fully domestic comp or some sort of hybrid, unless you get buy-in from the public we aren't moving forward. Buy-in from the public requires a successful (not necessarily number one but competitive) Wallabies, kids playing the game at junior and school levels, and supporters invested in teams, whatever they are. I also don't see how lowering the standard of competition helps the Wallabies, which I think is one of the pillars for growing the game.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it is obvious that we would use the existing 4 teams, They could easily be rebranded, I mean surely the Waratahs would become the Sydney Waratahs. The issue you have is where do the other teams come from, you would hope that the Rebels could be resurrected , potentially add the Drua, you then have to come up with 2 other teams and common sense would dictate one each from NSW & QLD.

If one of those happens to be a Randwick then so be it, if they can come up with backers, maybe Sunnybank from QLD. or maybe you create two teams, who knows.
Play a domestic league and then look to cross over games with NZ and maybe Japan, but base it around your domestic product.

The issue is after 25 years of Super rugby were pretty much broke, a competition that was supposed to deliver untold riches and conquer foreign markets, has delivered pretty much the exact opposite a code on its arse.
I love the way rugby in Australia is still yet to come to the realisation that no matter what you do with the deckchairs, it won't stop the ship sinking. We have moved them so many times. The issue is far more structural; the current vessel is crippled and can't be recovered.

Every piece of what's being suggested to build a solution has been in play and available for years. If there was an obvious solution it would be an easy fix. The Club comp ideas are just fanciful. The Shute v Hopital shows that. There has been limited wider interest at best over the last few years even with Stan broadcasting. The key here is appealing to a new audience which means creating something new that will attract them. Entertaining a captive audience is no solution at all. Thats where we are at now and the central issue we are struggling to fix..

At some point maybe people need to accept that the existing pieces are the issue. They simply don't work together to build a viable solution. We need a lot of new pieces and a new creative solution.

Using the Brumbies as an example, they attract a consistent crowd of 8-9K (over the last few years) and get reasonable rating,. But is not enough and we have nothing available that is attracting extra supporters. So we we need a new product that keeps the existing audience but mainly attractive a new bunch of supporters.

If we keep to the logic that people follow teams, then that limited following will just transition to a new competition does not mean it will grow the supporter base. So likely if you include a Randwick you will just end up with that randwick limited supporter base. If you rebrand current team, you will likely lose supporters so you may as well start afresh with new teams. You could however use the current Unions based Super Rugby teams by creating new teams under or affiliated with them like what happened with the NRC which helped establish a supporter base quickly.

What needs to be avoided is the fact that Unions like to kill off National competitions to keep the Clubland status quo and powerbase. Thus far they have killed off the ARC and NRC. So the critics and press will be writing and saying on day one of anything new that it just a matter of time until the unions put it to the sword to the new competition. History will support their arguments which will put people off or slow growth.

So again, if you want credibility in anything new, it needs to be out of the grasp of the current structures and legacy issues. That means out of reach, control and influence of RA, the Unions and the entrenched establishment. It need to be under new, professional competent independent management. That means it won't be a Wallaby feeder or support product so won't be supported.

I believe Stan is willing to pay us half the current rate if we want to try different colours or styles of chairs.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If that's the case, then the idea of making SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) independent of the unions and have it run from Feb/March to September and including the test window is probably the right way to go.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If that's the case, then the idea of making SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) independent of the unions and have it run from Feb/March to September and including the test window is probably the right way to go.
Possibly. But how do you disconnect RA and NZRU from it and remove their influence? In Europe they can have squads with international players etc. SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) is heavily restricted to suit the objectives of the Wallabies and All blacks which IMHO what is dragging it down.

I believe we took a step backwards going back to the regional based identifiers in AU. In AFL, NRL, A-League, Netball, and Cricket where players come from is secondary and the national team conversations are a separate conversation. We need to get its back to a my team against your team. The day conversations like if they were an ex QLD pathway player or anything Wallabies related is a separate conversation while out teams go at it will be a huge improvement and I think will attract a new audience as it will be a genuine competition (not just 4x paid squads that are essentially for opposed Wallabies training).

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The difficulty we have is that test footy is the pinnacle of the sport, like it is for cricket, netball and several other sports. I love my club, but I want Australia to win just as much. I don't think we ever get away from that, unless we decide to prioritise the domestic game over internationals, like the AFL and NRL have (they don't have a choice obviously, practically nobody else plays those sports).

What we can do is to make SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) an all in comp and test eligibility can come from playing for any of the clubs. It'll make for a better comp in general.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Some mail today regarding the Rebels player movement from a fairly reliable source.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) signing with the Reds (will play club rugby for GPS from next week)

Mafi going to Japan (will play club rugby for GPS from next week)

Taniela staying in Oz. Has been given open slather to choose his team - likely Force or Tahs but possibly Reds.

Daugunu going to France or Japan.

Bonus mail - Kerevi looking to come to come home. Already talking to Kiss about a short term Reds deal for 2026-27.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bonus mail - Kerevi looking to come to come home. Already talking to Kiss about a short term Reds deal for 2026-27.

That’s a long way away.

Considering his form at last years World Cup i wouldn’t be making any commitment to the gentleman until closer to the date.

getting a bit long in the tooth Kerevi is…

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
That’s a long way away.

Considering his form at last years World Cup i wouldn’t be making any commitment to the gentleman until closer to the date.

getting a bit long in the tooth Kerevi is…
Ehh it's only 16-ish months until preseason for 2026 - I believe Kerevi's current contract covers '25? If so, it's understandable some chats are happening now. I doubt anything would be signed for some time.

I too was not overly pleased with Kerevi's WC form, but the same could be said about basically the whole team in hindsight. Considering what we now know went on, I don't think it can be used as much of a yardstick.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
How old is Kerevi? He was one of the OGs in the NRC comps… if he’s still playing 2027 that’s roughly like a 13-14 year window of professional rugby and not getting any younger.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The difficulty we have is that test footy is the pinnacle of the sport, like it is for cricket, netball and several other sports. I love my club, but I want Australia to win just as much. I don't think we ever get away from that, unless we decide to prioritise the domestic game over internationals, like the AFL and NRL have (they don't have a choice obviously, practically nobody else plays those sports).

What we can do is to make SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) an all in comp and test eligibility can come from playing for any of the clubs. It'll make for a better comp in general.
That maybe the shift in thinking that Rugby needs to do to survive.

Aside from the AFL and NRL, all the others have national teams but without the compromising heir domestic competitions like rugby does. Just look at the Top 14 or other European competitions or even the Japanese competitions. .The amount of teams with mixed nationalities says you can have the international players, big names mixed with other players and have a really good competition and still feed the national team.

Bottomline is the game is financially unsustainable so we either change or be content with clinging to the National team emphasis as we go under. We are almost at the adapt or die point. The less $$ the less we have for a National program and the Wallabies will slowly slip lower in rankings and ratings and the revenue with it. So ironically, yes, a domestic competition might need to be the priority is it brings in the revenue we need to fund the development of a strong National team.

GPSlads

Ward Prentice (10)
I know this is all just going to keep going around in circles, but I genuinely don't think it matters whether you have SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific), a fully domestic comp or some sort of hybrid, unless you get buy-in from the public we aren't moving forward. Buy-in from the public requires a successful (not necessarily number one but competitive) Wallabies, kids playing the game at junior and school levels, and supporters invested in teams, whatever they are. I also don't see how lowering the standard of competition helps the Wallabies, which I think is one of the pillars for growing the game.
Exactly if the public aren’t interested what’s the point ..?
We already had a NRC and no one cared about it

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
To be fair, the main reason people aren’t interested is we suck. It’s essentially become an NZ domestic comp with how badly Australian teams have been the last decade

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Exactly if the public aren’t interested what’s the point ..?
We already had a NRC and no one cared about it

there was some flaws with the NRC which RA needs to address… for example.

lack of night games. The competition was being played Sept/oct thru to November. This time of year is peak outdoors weather. Lot of people holed up during winter and absolutely keen to get to the beach and the great outdoors

if the NRC is to be reinvented. Put the games under lights in timeslot which has no competition from NRL/AFL regular season. You would absolutely do numbers if rugby was being broadcasted on a Friday or Saturday night on free to air with the big codes nowhere in sight.

obviously if the NRC was to become the new super rugby season than going H2H with NRL/AFL becomes problematic

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
there was some flaws with the NRC which RA needs to address… for example.

lack of night games. The competition was being played Sept/oct thru to November. This time of year is peak outdoors weather. Lot of people holed up during winter and absolutely keen to get to the beach and the great outdoors

if the NRC is to be reinvented. Put the games under lights in timeslot which has no competition from NRL/AFL regular season. You would absolutely do numbers if rugby was being broadcasted on a Friday or Saturday night on free to air with the big codes nowhere in sight.

obviously if the NRC was to become the new super rugby season than going H2H with NRL/AFL becomes problematic
There was no local connections to the clubs too

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
There was no local connections to the clubs too
The ARC concept was better aligned for that in Brisbane club comp.

north of the river clubs were the Tornados
South of the river were the aces.

I found it very difficult in the nrc model as a wests man to figure out who I should cheer for in the city or country rivalry because the bulldogs were alllocated to both teams.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
A lot of my peers have sons who left school in the last few years and are now either playing grade or colts at the Shute Sheild clubs, and the common phrase when they are describing the club scene in Sydney is 'out of control'. So I can see there is certainly some merit in trying to leverage off this. I'm not sure if this is replicated in the QPR comp as well. Also the majority 1st grade players are semi professional already, so it wouldn't quite be an 'expansion of the amateur comps' as some people like to refer to it.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
A lot of my peers have sons who left school in the last few years and are now either playing grade or colts at the Shute Sheild clubs, and the common phrase when they are describing the club scene in Sydney is 'out of control'. So I can see there is certainly some merit in trying to leverage off this. I'm not sure if this is replicated in the QPR comp as well. Also the majority 1st grade players are semi professional already, so it wouldn't quite be an 'expansion of the amateur comps' as some people like to refer to it.
What does Out of control mean?