• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Will Kearns definitely be the replacement? Who chooses Castle's replacement? If it's the board, who has backed the reforms she's put in place, wouldn't they be inclined not to back him? The Kearns cabal can background news journos all they like, doesn't make him a certainty to be CEO. Could be anyone

With Covid-19 currently in place I wouldn't be in a rush either. The board can conduct negotiations for the broadcast deal without a new Chief executive. In fact, the finer detail of the negs were probably being done by a VP already. I'm sure they can be resumed soon.

The board also says the reason they wanted her to go was clean air - that could still mean clean air to pursue the incumbent agenda of an open tv rights negotiation. More info please

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Personally disappointed castle forced out as I thought she was doing the right things for the basket case she inherited. Going back to the car park north Shore inner circle ceo of Phil Kearns I don’t support and do wonder how the boys club made outsider for rugby always doomed.

Not convinced Phil Kearns can lead rugby forward with modern thinking....but pretty sure he is our next ceo and if his first thing is to sign broadcast deal with Foxtel it really shows nothing has changed and we have gone back to old school ways of thinking.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Highlights of Cully's 2p:

"Former Wallabies captain Phil Kearns was looking good to land the Rugby Australia job in 2017 – until the interview process actually started.

"Flailing, he was well beaten by a Kiwi called Raelene Castle, who went through seven interviews to get the job – getting progressively better – and had Wallabies coaching legend Rod Macqueen among her referees.

"This week Kearns was one of 10 former Australian skippers captains who signed a letter calling for Castle's dismissal.

"She had stumbles, of course.

"Trusting the immature Israel Folau to align his religious beliefs with an ounce of common sense was one, but even in that instance where were the voices telling her not to re-sign Australia's only superstar?

"There were none. In fact, when the history of Castle's two years in charge is written, it will show that her critics were full of self interest and amnesia.

"For example, the decision not to sack Michael Cheika was another Castle 'failing' (the decision to retain him was driven by a lack of quality alternatives, rather than the financial costs)."

EDIT/ addendum:

"But here is George Gregan talking about that very subject in 2017.

"There's no one who is going to be head coach if Cheika is not there. Michael Cheika has a true direction as to where he wants this team to go."

"Gregan even went on to get some coaching work with the Wallabies last year, but he was another of those former skippers who signed the letter calling for leadership change."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-job-never-stood-a-chance-in-australian-rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Highlights of Cully's 2p:

"Former Wallabies captain Phil Kearns was looking good to land the Rugby Australia job in 2017 – until the interview process actually started.

"Flailing, he was well beaten by a Kiwi called Raelene Castle, who went through seven interviews to get the job – getting progressively better – and had Wallabies coaching legend Rod Macqueen among her referees.

"This week Kearns was one of 10 former Australian skippers captains who signed a letter calling for Castle's dismissal.

"She had stumbles, of course.

"Trusting the immature Israel Folau to align his religious beliefs with an ounce of common sense was one, but even in that instance where were the voices telling her not to re-sign Australia's only superstar?

"There were none. In fact, when the history of Castle's two years in charge is written, it will show that her critics were full of self interest and amnesia.

"For example, the decision not to sack Michael Cheika was another Castle 'failing' (the decision to retain him was driven by a lack of quality alternatives, rather than the financial costs)."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-job-never-stood-a-chance-in-australian-rugby

Good article. And agree because the internal politics is so bad castle never stood a chance - moreso with such an inept RA board behind her. I personally found Raelene a breath of fresh air and made headway in difficult environment.

The old boys network that got oz rugby into the shit it’s in still thriving and keeping itself entrenched in rugby with the Alan Jones type toxic hyperbole behind it.

I think I have now concurred there is no hope for oz rugby as run by rugby politics not adminstrators

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not convinced Phil Kearns can lead rugby forward with modern thinking..but pretty sure he is our next ceo and if his first thing is to sign broadcast deal with Foxtel it really shows nothing has changed and we have gone back to old school ways of thinking.

I hope that Kearns does not get it. But whoever gets it might find that the Optus bid has vanished. It would not suprise me.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not really, the fact that RA rejected Foxtel’s offer to align with Optus seems to backup the reporting from more reliable sources that Optus was willing to fork out more for the broadcast rights.

I am gutted castle lost support of spindles and useless RA board. All of the board need to go as they are a complete disgrace

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am gutted castle lost support of spindles and useless RA board. All of the board need to go as they are a complete disgrace

Seems she didn't lose the support of the board, if Paul McLean is any indication, and he has really torn into the gang of 10!!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Seems she didn't lose the support of the board, if Paul McLean is any indication, and he has really torn into the gang of 10!!

He's said that he'll likely step down earlier than the planned 31 July so I'd suggest he knows he's next on the hit list. But, yes, he looked & sounded pretty gutted on the tv news tonight.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One of my greatest concerns with her was her welfare and how she was on a daily basis. A lesser person would have thrown the towel in ages ago, quite simply.
You forget that it's just a sport eh. I don't get why she bothered staying as long as she did given the abuse.

That Joker meme comes to mind if we end up with Kearns.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ i think that when you get to that level of anything, be it sport, politics, business, or any combination(s) thereof, you just believe in your ability to outlast/ defeat the cnuts trying to bring you down until one day you wake up, realise you can't anymore & quit.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Not really, the fact that RA rejected Foxtel’s offer to align with Optus seems to backup the reporting from more reliable sources that Optus was willing to fork out more for the broadcast rights.
I was actually referring to you basically saying ‘it was in the media so it must be true’.