• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
If you want to say that the period between 2011 and 2015 doesn’t count because we can’t measure the full effect of increasing playing numbers (which is strange thinking because why is the depth quality having to disperse into a new team any different to the time period beyond?), if that time period doesn’t count then the 1999 World Cup period doesn’t count as it’s within the same time period after Australia took on Super Rugby as a primary competition for players to play in. You could argue the same amount of years you are saying the inclusion of a 5th team saw Australia struggle on the world stage, the same amount of years post Super Rugby as a professional competition Australia has failed to win the Bledisloe and basically lose continuously to kiwi teams in any form. Because apparently it takes around 4-5 years to properly see the effect of a decision.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think we've reached the zenith of this discussion...

30rock-shut-it-down.gif
I think you have nothing.

I have asked repeatedly where this domestic model you guys are clamouring for currently works and how do players get better in this domestic only comp.

Not even an attempt at an answer.

But you know better than the players :)

Screen Shot 2024-07-10 at 9.06.22 am.png

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you have nothing.

I have asked repeatedly where this domestic model you guys are clamouring for currently works and how do players get better in this domestic only comp.

Not even an attempt at an answer.

But you know better than the players :)

View attachment 19885

No, I have not attempted to an answer a question for a separate topic that you and I have not discussed in our exchange?

I have addressed this hollow argument regarding the number of teams within Super Rugby, and provided you with sufficient evidence that it's not that relevant to Australia's decline over the past twenty years...

But, yes... talk to the player.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As we hit page 1039, everyone has surely expressed their opinion on whether we should go domestic or stay in Super, no-one seems to have any inclination to change their opinion, and now we are starting to degenerate into insults. Can we please ban this discussion until something actually happens, or move it to a tailor-made thread and let those of us who wish to discuss other matters RA avoid it?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If you want to say that the period between 2011 and 2015 doesn’t count because we can’t measure the full effect of increasing playing numbers (which is strange thinking because why is the depth quality having to disperse into a new team any different to the time period beyond?), if that time period doesn’t count then the 1999 World Cup period doesn’t count as it’s within the same time period after Australia took on Super Rugby as a primary competition for players to play in. You could argue the same amount of years you are saying the inclusion of a 5th team saw Australia struggle on the world stage, the same amount of years post Super Rugby as a professional competition Australia has failed to win the Bledisloe and basically lose continuously to kiwi teams in any form. Because apparently it takes around 4-5 years to properly see the effect of a decision.
I didn't say it doesn't count. I'm saying that adding a new team today doesn't mean that tomorrow every team will be crap. I don't know if there is an exact science around how long it takes to have an effect but there is, I don't know what it is.

The reality is that there wasn't and isn't enough talent to support 5 Super Rugby teams in Australia.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As we hit page 1039, everyone has surely expressed their opinion on whether we should go domestic or stay in Super, no-one seems to have any inclination to change their opinion, and now we are starting to degenerate into insults. Can we please ban this discussion until something actually happens, or move it to a tailor-made thread and let those of us who wish to discuss other matters RA avoid it?
That would be great....be good to stop hearing dumb shit like 'Super Rugby is dead'

The Rebels are gone, centralisation is starting to take shape - I'm hopeful that RA is slowly turning the corner.

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
how do players get better in this domestic only comp.
You feel like Australian rugby players are getting better playing super rugby?

it’s a weird rational to be honest, and one I’m sure you wouldn’t agree with if the shoe was on the other foot and it was the NZ teams getting embarrassed weekly

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
New RMWilliam collab. $169 jerseys.

Where are the historians, what's the significance of the chevron in the jersey design, obviously NRL have adopted it as key aspect of their logo so i'm just wondering whether it's a shared history from the time the codes split?
ecc92fac-200b-45b4-859b-e54b5a057a19.png
Wallabies

There were certainly plenty of these in the crowd on Saturday night.

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You're not answering the question.

Would you have the cross-over games and do you think results would stay the same?
I personally have no interest in cross over games, but if we had them and results stayed the same, how exactly is that worse than the current model?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

There was another thread. The thread that would not die.

If you close it here it will return somewhere else.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

it’s a weird rational to be honest, and one I’m sure you wouldn’t agree with if the shoe was on the other foot and it was the NZ teams getting embarrassed weekly
People like Laurie Fisher know the importance of playing tough competition regularly.

I personally have no interest in cross over games, but if we had them and results stayed the same, how exactly is that worse than the current model?
The 'current model' is changing.

Which is what I have said a number of times. The Rebels are gone and the Brumbies are joining the centralisation push - I'm hopeful these are steps in the right direction and away from the current model.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

NZ went 5 years without the Bledisloe from '98 - '03 and also went over 20 years being called chokers for not winning a RWC. Gregan famously reminded us of this with his 'Four more years!'

Australia is in a worse position than we were but still...I don't think NZ ever looked to play lesser competition to get better over that time.

BTW, I am also a Blues fan, a Moana Pasifika fan and a NZ Warriors fan. My teams have been getting embarrassed for a long time.

Tomthumb

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NZ went 5 years without the Bledisloe from '98 - '03 and also went over 20 years being called chokers for not winning a RWC. Gregan famously reminded us of this with his 'Four more years!'

Australia is in a worse position than we were but still...I don't think NZ ever looked to play lesser competition to get better over that time.

BTW, I am also a Blues fan, a Moana Pasifika fan and a NZ Warriors fan. My teams have been getting embarrassed for a long time.
Because NZ was still winning 75% of their games during that period

How is that in any way comparible?