• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure what is tone-deaf about it, headline reflects quotes made:

“Initially I wasn’t too happy. The first couple of years were quite a bit tough being thrown into the deep end and definitely some seasons where I wish I wasn’t there but I’m glad it all worked out,” he remarked. “I’ve still got a long way to go but I’m glad I stuck it out.

It's a positive article?

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)

“Initially I wasn’t too happy. The first couple of years were quite a bit tough being thrown into the deep end and definitely some seasons where I wish I wasn’t there but I’m glad it all worked out,” he remarked. “I’ve still got a long way to go but I’m glad I stuck it out.

It's a positive article?
I think the complaint is about the "magical Melbourne return" part so close to the end of the Rebels, but given the content of the article it's still a pretty accurate representation of what it means to him:
“My dad is my biggest supporter and when I started to string some good games together at Super and the Wallabies schedule came out at the same time, my dad had this game circled saying ‘you’re going to make your debut on your birthday here in Melbourne.’ “I’m lucky it happened a week earlier but definitely very exciting to have a game here at home and potentially play in front of my family.”

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Brumbies getting bailed out to avoid administration.
I'm assuming the Brumbies don't owe $20m though.....

I'm sad we've lost the rebels but the reality is that RA couldn't take on that level of debt.

Taking over the operations of a side who's just getting by is different to taking over one who was trading whilst insolvent for years

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I'm sad we've lost the rebels but the reality is that RA couldn't take on that level of debt.

Taking over the operations of a side who's just getting by is different to taking over one who was trading whilst insolvent for years
They shouldn't. Didn't they sell their only major asset within the last few years?

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)

It's a positive article?
It's tone deaf for the Melbourne fans who have been watching players like Isaac , Leota, Pone develop, start finding their feet only to have their team closed and they have to leave home to ply their trade in another state - whilst we're left without a super team.

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)

Been consistent reports that the Brumbies have been facing voluntary administration. They had to beg the Vikings for pokie money at the start of the year.

All this does is highlight that super rugby is no longer viable financially. We need to get out of it before the remaining dominoes fall

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Been consistent reports that the Brumbies have been facing voluntary administration. They had to beg the Vikings for pokie money at the start of the year.

All this does is highlight that super rugby is no longer viable financially. We need to get out of it before the remaining dominoes fall
You mean the Vikings group, who's been a major partner of Rugby in the ACT forever and a day and would have a vested interest in keeping a team in Canberra, which also is one of the most wealthy and respected club teams in Australia?

I don't think they are begging anyone; they are working to make sure the team is solvent and able to continue, you know, like responsible management should. Not like the Rebels, who 5 years late and 20 million in the hole, with 2 Datsuns and 17k in the bank.

It's not a good place, but at least they are dealing with it.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
It's tone deaf for the Melbourne fans who have been watching players like Isaac , Leota, Pone develop, start finding their feet only to have their team closed and they have to leave home to ply their trade in another state - whilst we're left without a super team.

isn't it positive for players like Kailea that they're getting a bit of exposure and recognition though?

A similar article about Kailea was in The Courier Mail today up here in QLD

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
You mean the Vikings group, who's been a major partner of Rugby in the ACT forever and a day and would have a vested interest in keeping a team in Canberra, which also is one of the most wealthy and respected club teams in Australia?

I don't think they are begging anyone; they are working to make sure the team is solvent and able to continue, you know, like responsible management should. Not like the Rebels, who 5 years late and 20 million in the hole, with 2 Datsuns and 17k in the bank.

It's not a good place, but at least they are dealing with it.
Just keep ripping off pensioners and problem gamblers to keep the club afloat. Outstanding corporate citizens. That is going to help you get the fans back

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Outstanding corporate citizens. That is going to help you get the fans back

f3dead62bf0411d1b4f1a8bd8a8eed40

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
The point is, the Tahs and Brumbies required a bail out, the Force’s solvency is dependent on one benefactor. The rebels went bankrupt and no longer exist.

If this proves that Super Rugby Pacific is not a financially viable competition and is not in the best interest of the game in Australia. That is putting aside all state based rivalries.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
The point is, the Tahs and Brumbies required a bail out, the Force’s solvency is dependent on one benefactor. The rebels went bankrupt and no longer exist.

If this proves that Super Rugby Pacific is not a financially viable competition and is not in the best interest of the game in Australia. That is putting aside all state based rivalries.
Not necessarily. All it really proves is that most of our teams have been making poor financial decisions and choosing to live beyond their means

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
Not necessarily. All it really proves is that most of our teams have been making poor financial decisions and choosing to live beyond their means
So we cut the budgets spend less become less competitive, see less interest in the comp resulting in less revenue. That’s going to work. Super Rugby is dead

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

I agree, :) I think we should can it and go it alone, and have a cross over championship. But its not were we are at the moment.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Just keep ripping off pensioners and problem gamblers to keep the club afloat. Outstanding corporate citizens. That is going to help you get the fans back
Im guessing the 20k odd Raiders fans that turn up each week suggest that it has nothing to do with Pokie money and everything to do with the game.

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
I agree, :) I think we should can it and go it alone, and have a cross over championship. But its not were we are at the moment.
Always have somewhat of a soft spot for the brumbies as they were the team I supported pre the rebels. So I never want to see them go badly. Just don’t see a way forward in super rugby