• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
How is this sustainable? It'd just lead to the further weakening of the Wallabies as more players will give up their eligibility in order to earn 2 or 3 times as much money overseas.

I don't see how rugby can avoid becoming like soccer. There's too much money in European rugby - and it is increasing. SANZAAR and the ARU have completely stuffed up their attempt to compete financially, if they ever really had any chance to begin with.

The most sustainable solution in my view, post 2020, would be to allow Wallabies players to be picked from anywhere, end or substantially reduce central contracts, and work towards building as good a national or Asia-Pacific region professional tournament as interest and investment allows - while the ARU itself focuses more heavily on grassroots. Hopefully there's more money around for a proper competition than there has been for a test season preparation tournament. But at the very least it'd be a higher standard than the Currie Cup or NPC, and could be built around fan friendly scheduling and local rivalries.

One good thing about this model is it would give free reign to the organisers to simply set up a competition that aims to be the most enjoyable it can be for the fans and spectators. And if they aim for enjoyment, I'm sure it will eventually be better off financially in the long term.

One hurdle to overcome would be to be able to gain access to os players for the RC

T

TOCC

Fairfax Media has been told Forrest put an offer of around to $50million on the table to the ARU to help them out of financial trouble

The ARU rejected Forrest's offer at the meeting and made it clear they were committed to cutting the Force.

"We had a long discussion with Andrew today and have provided in detail the position of the ARU and the factors that have led to our decision to discontinue the Western Force Super Rugby licence," said Clyne.

"We were genuinely appreciative of Andrew's generous offer to back the Western Force and Australian Rugby, however, given the position we are in we are unable to work towards retaining five teams in Super Rugby."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...om-andrew-twiggy-forrest-20170822-gy1vqi.html

But, the ARU have also said they won't oppose any plans for the Force to develop a new comp backed by twiggy

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I have read that article a few times and all it screams is business incompetence on a mind blowing scale.

To be deep in the financial shitter and be so locked in to such a stupid position (talk about paint your self in to a corner!) where your own contract with the Rebels was used against you to save them from your threats, your promise (premature) to SANZARR is sill a ticking time bomb because you did not do the basic diligence work and you cant even accept the a $50mil hand out as it wont bail your ass out of the mess you got yourself in - staggering!

Good to see the future is now unobstructed (supported by the ARU) and in Twiggys hands. Fingers crossed he is a man of his word and act in the best interest of the game nationally.

One thing that is guaranteed is more obtuse explanations followed by the mandatory apologies from the chief ARU apologist Eales.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
TF will be spitting chips, he and Stooke, Welborn +++++ will be calmly plotting the destruction of that board. Clynes head on a Pike will be a key outcome imo, it will probably be cheered by most.

B

BLR

Good to see the future is now unobstructed (supported by the ARU) and in Twiggys hands. Fingers crossed he is a man of his word and act in the best interest of the game nationally.

Surely the ARU would be locking up anything East of South Australia from entrance from any new league?

So unfortunately you guys may be left to your fate perhaps?

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Surely the ARU would be locking up anything East of South Australia from entrance from any new league?

So unfortunately you guys may be left to your fate perhaps?

Or maybe waiting for the 4 east coast teams to join it in 2020?

B

BLR

Or maybe waiting for the 4 east coast teams to join it in 2020?

Why would we let them join? Not to be a jerk but who is to say if the other 4 teams were allowed into a new comp started by the Force the balance of power wouldn't shift once again and this comp will be ruined as well?

I am only talking for myself but I would be thinking this would be very much a 'you dug your own grave' conversation if the other 4 franchises rocked up in a few years wanting in.

EDIT: The powers that be, including the franchises abandoned us while we were making strides to do good with the Force, is it not a case of once bitten twice shy?

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Why would we let them join? Not to be a jerk but who is to say if the other 4 teams were allowed into a new comp started by the Force the balance of power wouldn't shift once again and this comp will be ruined as well?

I am only talking for myself but I would be thinking this would be very much a 'you dug your own grave' conversation if the other 4 franchises rocked up in a few years wanting in.

EDIT: The powers that be, including the franchises abandoned us while we were making strides to do good with the Force, is it not a case of once bitten twice shy?
Reading the article sounded more collaborative then your take. ARU assisting (yes noone needs that sort if help). My interpretation of why twiggy would say aru support it if they see it as a potential exit from super if it's decent.
Had the quotes been, aru said we better not set up a comp and I told them to get Bent then if have your take in it.

B

BLR

Reading the article sounded more collaborative then your take. ARU assisting (yes noone needs that sort if help). My interpretation of why twiggy would say aru support it if they see it as a potential exit from super if it's decent.
Had the quotes been, aru said we better not set up a comp and I told them to get Bent then if have your take in it.

Is this not just face saving media talk? Forrest telling the ARU he is doing it either way, they can either fight it and be destroyed or get on board and save face.

We have long memories over here and Twiggy would undoubtedly be very aware of just how much of our resource money went over to the East coast, I don't think he would be too keen to offer that olive branch considering the combative rhetoric going around here in the West.

The last deal we did with the ARU got us cut so you'd think giving the ARU such an easy way out with mostly upsides to them won't be too forthcoming.

L

Leo86

So, my read/opinion/hope. Ultimately 5 Aussie teams in super rugbys Australian franchise. If not Twiggys idea of another comp (think SA havin 6 teams between 2 comps). If there is one thing i hope to dear god is that TwiggysComp (TC) wont follow the ARU style and be inclusive of all states/territories, you will be judged on merit not boarders. Think about it Western Sydney can have their team, Queensland might be interested. Free-to-air would be the shit, hopefully more fans/sponsors/money, gone is this depth idea and money is here to retain aussies from goin to europe. Open the comp to a time zone that allows 3 games on at a time in succession maximum. Asia, Aus, Kiwis, PIs. I can get behind this comp, all it needs is the ARU to support growth of Rugby as in let players from either comp eligible for national duties.

As the El Paso adverts put it "why not have both"

This is an opportunity that should be embraced, id once again happily support the Wallabies, would dven stick my eye in on Super too if I still had my team to support.

State of origin ideas state V state, comp V comp, scratchies i dunno so many possibilities

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On couple of days ago we had Clyne saying this:

n a statement ARU chairman, Cameron Clyne confirmed the ARU had turned down the multi-million offer.​
“We were genuinely appreciative of Andrew’s generous offer to back the Western Force and Australian Rugby, however, given the position we are in we are unable to work towards retaining five teams in Super Rugby," he said. "We are at the final stages of this process and Australian Rugby’s constituents have voted to reduce Australia’s Super Rugby representation to four teams and we have made commitments to SANZAAR.​
We were asked about the possibilities of retaining the Western Force in a 16-team Super Rugby competition, however a 16-team competition was eliminated by SANZAAR during its review process based on a number of factors. These factors included the extensive cost and limited appeal of a 16-team round-robin competition, player welfare issues due to extra travel requirements, and the loss of popular home and away ‘derbies’ in each country.​

But today in the Supreme Court we learn this:
But the changes to the SANZAAR broadcasting agreement did not rule out five teams from Australia continuing to play in the competition and should not have triggered the termination of the contract with Western Force, he said.
"It used to say no fewer than 18 teams. It now says no fewer than 15 teams," Mr Newlinds said.
"It used to say at least five from Australia. It now says at least four from Australia.
"Well, five is at least four."

Reactions: dru

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
We have long memories over here and Twiggy would undoubtedly be very aware of just how much of our resource money went over to the East coast,
You mean Australia's resource money - it's a commonwealth and the crown owns the minerals. You were all well paid to dig it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BLR

You mean Australia's resource money - it's a commonwealth and the crown owns the minerals. You were all well paid to dig it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the ongoing arguments about funding allocations between Western Australia & the Federal government indicates that perhaps the Federation isn't quite equal as far as economic input, but that is besides the point.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
the crown owns the minerals.

Yeah, "the Crown" is not a single entity. This is not always understood.

There is "the Crown in the right of the Government of Western Australia" which is separate to "the Crown in right of the Commonwealth of Australia".

Guess which one generally owns the mineral rights. An exception is the offshore continental shelf and EEZ, where the Commonwealth has sovereign rights in respect of minerals.

I could go on and take in topics such as the MRRT but this place is for talking about rugby.

Reactions: dru