• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Is it bot a risk with trying to rely on Billionaires etc. Remember what happened with Gold Coast soccer team when Clive Palmer got pissed off? He just folded team. Not suggesting that would be norm, but really concerns me when a heavy reliance of a moneyman etc.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thanks Adam. That $1m was a typo!

Rebels were between $2 and $3m over the last three years (from the administrator's report) - and just to add the Waratahs inc have been significantly less than NSWRU whenever we see it split out like in 2022 - $1.6m for tahs)
2022 was not exactly a normal year for that - the tahs went without a major sponsor form that season, so you'd expect to see the number be significantly lower than other years for Waratahs inc.

I do agree they have done a very poor job of engaging what should be a relatively friendly sponsorship market though, they look to be leaving millions on the table every year.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
You can have a discussion about cutting costs and fiscal responsibility for player's wages without needing to completely change their income to an incentive/bonus scheme.

I work in an industry where we're competing in a highly competitive market for talent; incentive and bonus schemes are part of the solution for recruitment and retention, but finding quantifiable and measurable KPIs for bonus payment makes it a highly subjective topic. We cap bonus schemes at 30% of their base salary, with most sitting less then that.

For Wallabies, most would be on about 20% incentive/bonus loading from matchday payments if they're playing a full season. I really don't see how cutting the base wage to less then that would assist, or what quantifiable metric you would use to assess/justify further.
When I was working it was a highly competitive and lucrative group where the guys were expected to earn 350- 450k (~100k base + 200-300k+ if they hit or exceeded their targets - 20 years ago), they got moved on if they failed to get their numbers.
Rugby is a VERY competitive market both for players and for performance. In that environment, winners drink champagne and losers are expected to learn from their losses. Not sure we are learning from our losses.
I suspect a base living wage + incentives to win might be a better model than the current one where nothing is changing apart from losing disillusioned players to a larger market.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Is the move to performance/incentive based contracting coming with an open selection policy for the Wallabies or are we staying domestic only?

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
When I was working it was a highly competitive and lucrative group where the guys were expected to earn 350- 450k (~100k base + 200-300k+ if they hit or exceeded their targets - 20 years ago), they got moved on if they failed to get their numbers.
It's all relative to norms though - that type of remuneration package may have been typical for employers in your industry, but it is not the case for employers of rugby players (i.e. across other competitions and codes). We have to remain competitive and realistic (in terms of both player expectations and sustainability) if we want to keep anything resembling talent.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Exactly what state are they in now?

No super success outside of wooden spoon’s, and a national team that can’t get past the pool stage of a World Cup and hasn’t sniffed the Bledisloe in 2 decades

Can’t risk losing that wonderful success

If you want to be Wales, be Wales.

I'd prefer to they try and be Argentina if you're heading down this path.

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's all relative to norms though - that type of remuneration package may have been typical for employers in your industry, but it is not the case for employers of rugby players (i.e. across other competitions and codes). We have to remain competitive and realistic (in terms of both player expectations and sustainability) if we want to keep anything resembling talent.
100%

We cant compare being a professional athlete with the corporate world, they just aren’t comparable. I might not be the worlds best at it, but I could basically guarantee given the resources, education and patience I could just about do any job of anyone on these threads, to a satisfactory level and you be able to do mine. I might never get to an exceptional level but I could be competent.

Now as an athlete, no matter how many resources, education and patience my employer had, I could never be even a satisfactory level pro athlete. It’s why unlike 99% of the professions out there, they are essentially in a position of power when it comes to contracting.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Exactly what state are they in now?

No super success outside of wooden spoon’s, and a national team that can’t get past the pool stage of a World Cup and hasn’t sniffed the Bledisloe in 2 decades

Can’t risk losing that wonderful success
We can get even worse which is all your idea will achieve.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
For the last 20 years each player already has ~$200k per year incentive based payment at risk through each year based on match payments available for Super Rugby and tests.

If you perform well enough to get a Wallaby jersey you get it, if you don't, then you don't.

Under the CBA the player pool has to be spent on players. Whatever incentive you setup, a pro rugby player is going to get the money

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Rugby is a VERY competitive market both for players and for performance. In that environment, winners drink champagne and losers are expected to learn from their losses. Not sure we are learning from our losses.
I suspect a base living wage + incentives to win might be a better model than the current one where nothing is changing apart from losing disillusioned players to a larger market.
what kind of quantifiable metrics are you placing on players in order for them to qualify for these bonuses which are now supposed to make up large chunks of their salary, around 70% in some cases.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I read an article once that analysed every rugby stat and it found almost every one had no predictive power at all as to which team won the game, except one.

Which ever team kicked the most was the only stat correlated with victory.

So I propose all pro rugby players in Australia get paid per kick. Let's do it

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
OK, but then you are picking TT for the Wallabies from OS because he isn't staying here on a NZ or Australian Super Rugby salary.

Which seems a bit counter-productive
That’s the point
You are eligible for nz and aus as long as you are in super
Why would the top up be any different? We want you to stay in super and play for country - here is your top up to do so.