• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
From a quick glance, it seems there are quite a lot of players in the Brazilian league with the foreign quote being lifted a couple of times.

The trend seems to be moving towards more international players.

Might be, but traditionally aka the last 100years it’s been very nationalistic and a huge football nursery

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If selection is opened up to include overseas there's no reason that whatever competition comes next has to be restricted. While the remuneration might not be great, no reason that NZ or PI players (or the hordes of UK backpackers etc.) play here "increasing standards".

Dirkgee96

Frank Row (1)
They're talking about the Lions tour generating as much as $100m for RA. Probably at least double that for the RWC. Then at the moment it's likely an extra $40m every second just from the mooted Qatar deal from 2026 onwards. There's the broadcast end of that as well. Which should be multiples of the sponsorship deal. Or at least you'd hope. And then there's the local broadcasting deal. They should be able to cover their commitments regarding the loan and then some.
Have RA released any financial modelling on how they will apparently make that much money?

The French Rugby federation only made $5 million from hosting the 2023 World Cup. World Rugby takes a much bigger share of the profit than they used to as their expenses even adjusting for inflation are much higher now.

Article in French but Google translate gets the gist of it

I'm going to assume I'm missing something or maybe the French Rugby federation stuffed up hugely to only make $5 million, because surely RA haven't just looked at the profits of the 2003 World Cup, adjusted the number for inflation and think thats around what they will make.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
So is the soccer model what the domestic-league proponents seems to be where Australia becomes the dominant sport in the country, produces a lot of talent for the rest of the world and the bulk of the national team plays outside of the country?

Perhaps it's a workable solution but I think it would take a long time. Soccer is the biggest, most popular sport in those countries with considerably larger population bases.

I personally can't see how it will work for rugby here but I quite enjoy Super Rugby so I'm biased :)

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah but again... every country has a football league. What conclusion are we supposed to draw from Brazil being good at football and also having a domestic league?

England have the richest league (don't buy 'the best') and that hasn't translated to success. I'm not sure there is a whole lot to learn here.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The point of a domestic league is that its actually entertaining to engage with as an Australian. Super Rugby is short and sucks.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah but again... every country has a football league. What conclusion are we supposed to draw from Brazil being good at football and also having a domestic league?

England have the richest league (don't buy 'the best') and that hasn't translated to success. I'm not sure there is a whole lot to learn here.
I'm not sure LOL

It's hard to find a sport that compares with rugby in Australia which perhaps is what makes finding a solution so hard.

No-one else has done it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Have RA released any financial modelling on how they will apparently make that much money?

The French Rugby federation only made $5 million from hosting the 2023 World Cup. World Rugby takes a much bigger share of the profit than they used to as their expenses even adjusting for inflation are much higher now.

I'm going to assume I'm missing something or maybe the French Rugby federation stuffed up hugely to only make $5 million, because surely RA haven't just looked at the profits of the 2003 World Cup, adjusted the number for inflation and think thats around what they will make.

They offered overs on the required guarantee which was £120m. Paying £150m. Also took the rights to the operational costs in partnership with Societe Generale for around £236m. I suspect a lot of the the profit generated went to covering that. The fee to host the event has been guaranteed by the Govt. for 2027. I doubt we'll take on the same level of involvement around operations and hospitality as the French.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)

RWC profit sharing model has changed since France as did the RWC bidding process which allowed countries like France to bid more then they should have, Australia bid during covid when expectations were a bit more frugal... Also the number of teams/matches has grown.

2023 RWC - 48 games
2027 RWC - 62 games

Host union typically makes most of the money from matchday income whereas WR (World Rugby) take sponsorship and broadcast rights, so the number of games directly correlates to profit. But the profit-sharing model hasn't been made public.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The point of a domestic league is that its actually entertaining to engage with as an Australian. Super Rugby is short and sucks.
Super Rugby has been around for almost 30 years and has far from 'sucked.'

This competition has been the launching pad for the greatest players and teams in the modern era and where all but 2 of the RWC winners have come from during that time.

It isn't perfect and it needs to be re-imagined perhaps but there were very few Aussie fans saying Super Rugby sucked when the Brumbies, Red or Tahs were winning.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
RWC profit sharing model has changed since France as did the RWC bidding process which allowed countries like France to bid more then they should have, Australia bid during covid when expectations were a bit more frugal... Also the number of teams/matches has grown.

2023 RWC - 48 games
2027 RWC - 62 games

Host union typically makes most of the money from matchday income whereas WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) take sponsorship and broadcast rights, so the number of games directly correlates to profit. But the profit-sharing model hasn't been made public.

Even if the projected earnings is just the 2003 earnings adjusted for inflation considering the current cash strapped position of RA that is still a net positive.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

This competition has been the launching pad for the greatest players and teams in the modern era and where all but 2 of the RWC winners have come from during that time.

It isn't perfect and it needs to be re-imagined perhaps but there were very few Aussie fans saying Super Rugby sucked when the Brumbies, Red or Tahs were winning.

Well, I've thought that it has needed reimagining for a very long time.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
ugh... adding teams didn't create the issues and pressures that Super Rugby faced, it only accelerated the deficiencies that exist within the structure. People need to recognize that correlation doesn't equate to causation.. blaming the number of teams misses multiple elephants in room.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Its sucked for Aus fans for nearly 10 years now I'd say. All that historical bullshit is great but, yeah, was a long time ago now. It simply is not a good product for Australian fans. This is basically irrefutable given how few fans still actively engage with it and how many of those remaining fans have significant issues with how its formatted.

Also, your last point only really equates to four years where people supposedly were not complaining (doubt that though).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not here to dispute whatever the super 12 looked like and if it had been better for SH rugby.

But it always felt like the two conference models were never actually developed in a way that makes sense for a non-seppo audience. For all it's foibles and failures, and chaos, both URC models have ensured:

(a) You play every team at least once, and
(b) You play every team from your home nation at least twice.

Those feel like pretty basic things to get right.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The challenge being maintaining a window for Currie Cup and NPC for the SANZAAR partners....

Ironically enough it looks like both of those might be in trouble

Reactions: dru