• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australian Rugby / RA

half

Dick Tooth (41)
The only constant in the game of rugby in this country is about every 3-4 days an article bemoaning the structural set up of the game here turns up and off we go, endlessly debating it until bingo! the next article turns up and we start again. It’s been rinse and repeat for 20 years now.

The problem I see with the so-called global approach for Australian rugby is that it will endlessly suck up any revenue you ever earn in a never-ending cycle to reach the summit of a mountain you will never end up being able to climb.
A RWC every 4 years but wait now there’s gonna be a Nations cup in between. All with the promise of more & more revenue, but all that is happening is the top end is just self-funding itself, and along with that will come an ever increasing appetite for more revenue to ensure that everyone associated with that pathway to the top is equally funded you can’t avoid it, the more you feed it the hungrier it will get.

That promise to fund the grassroots will be that a never-ending promise, we just need to climb a bit more of that Mountain first, promise I’ll feed you once I get to the top.
hoggy

Sad but true and as the revenue falls a greater percentage is needed for the head office.

The problem with the global franchise approach is it needs to be very well managed, because they struggle unless very well managed to create tribalism, and local heros.

Best recent example is on the Central Coast, the reaction at Gosford stadium and the region in general is priceless to that grand final win. Similar to the Cowboys in Queensland, Geelong in AFL.

A big issue I see, is the falling player quality at junior levels given our lack of engagement and small number of teams. Following on from that is the lack of fan replacement so as say 1, 000 leave only 500 come and watch. Maybe the WC can turn that around a bit.

Just hope Phil and Co are up to the job.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The only demographic you could market that to would be NRL scouts, another tier to fix the tier above to fix the tier above that and so on.
If some of them go to NRL then so be it. At least it keeps them in our game longer and provides them with a proper pathway. It's not to fix the tier above it, it's to provide a professional pathway to it, but it does need fixing mind you. Upon reflection you are correct, we need to look at rugby in this country from a top down perspective as it's the Wallabies that is the goal for our players, and the focus of most interest for the supporter. Which is why I say we can't nor want to emulate the NRL, players have similar skill sets but there is a different set of goals.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
If RA is planning for life after super rugby with potentially only one season left why cut the rebels now. The damage done to the game and the loss of faith in RA is huge

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I refer you to the Kiwi expats part of my comment.
But I thought Australians just love these local derbies?

Guess what game had the best attendance for the Reds in 2023? Reds vs Crusaders. The 3rd best game for the Reds? vs the Hurricanes. The 2nd best attendance at GIO Stadium? Brumbies vs Hurricanes.

There are not THAT many Kiwis living in Canberra. But where are all the Australian fans who are apparently just dying to see the Reds play the Force but not the Crusaders?

People want to watch good rugby.

BTW - is expat money worth less? Do the Brumbies ask which team you're supporting before taking your money? Does Stan care which Super Rugby team I support? Apparently we turn up to watch rugby while Aussies don't.

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
If RA is planning for life after super rugby with potentially only one season left why cut the rebels now. The damage done to the game and the loss of faith in RA is huge
Because they are not planning for life after super, and an objective minded person would have cut the rebels 7 years ago.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because they are not planning for life after super, and an objective minded person would have cut the rebels 7 years ago.
It has been reported and even Phil Waugh has said they are looking at life after super rugby. A 4 team comp will be pretty boring

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Easy tiger, beginning to get a bit repetitive

It could be everyone is seeing Super Rugby coming to an end as it is currently
Just shows how much of a shit show the current administration is. The pointed to a lack of detail about the long term viability of the club in the consortium’s proposal yet themselves aren’t able to tell stakeholders what the game will look like here post 25.

They are losing a whole squads worth of players when depth is already an issue here, some will be lost to the game. Gordon would have stayed in Melbourne if the Rebels stayed.

Four teams is in no way viable for a competition, so we will have to spend money to start new franchises from scratch