• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

The other factor is the types of players they are.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a more silky skilful type player but he still lacks the distribution at a Conrad Smith type level. It's much better than it was, but for a player that looks to run first by instinct every time, he doesn't have the bulk to get it over the gain line. He's an extremely reliable defender but lacks the physicality of a Kuridrani.

There are a lot of similarities in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Giteau really. Both very good defenders, but not extremely dominant. Both better with the ball than distributing the ball but more so tackle beating, than tackle breaking type players. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) obviously doesn't have Giteau's penchant for lateral running looking for a hole though.

But ultimately, both their values to the team and their best position are really determined by who is around them. If Kuridrani was a 12 in the Nonu mould AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be perfect beside him.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Its great exercise to boot

I was at the first game played at ANZ (Telstra Stadium) between Aus and England. Our seats were in the second last row, and I was stunned at how steep it was. Halfway through the first half a guy is struggling up the stairs with a tray of beers, and he stops and looks around in dismay. Someone yells "come up the wrong aisle did ya mate?" and his head dropped, his heart sank, and he trudged mournfully back down to do it all again in the next aisle

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Going from reports on Twiiter

McCabe on the wing Carter at lock and Charles at hooker.

So team should look something like this

1 Slipper
2 Charles
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Carter
6 Fardy
7 Hooper (C)
8 Palu

9 White
10 Foley
11 McCabe
12 To'omua
13 Kurindrani
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 Izzy

and the bench could look something like this

16 Hanson
17 Cowan
18 Alexander
19 Skelton/Horwill
20 McCalman
21 Phipps
22 Beale
23 Horne/Tomane

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and whether there are any changes.

I'd be surprised if Link had absolutely picked his first test side and will run with the same team at each training session until the team is announced on Tuesday.

I'm guessing we might see a few switches over the next few days to test out a few options.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
McCabe on the wing makes sense and I'm happy with that. He's got enough pace, can handle the ball and has plenty of starch in defence. I reckon that back line would be one of the more physically robust that we've fielded in a good long while.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McCabe on the wing makes sense and I'm happy with that. He's got enough pace, can handle the ball and has plenty of starch in defence. I reckon that back line would be one of the more physically robust that we've fielded in a good long while.

Absolutely. I think 2014 has been easily his best season and he should never have been dropped to the Brumbies bench.

Just saying that I'd be surprised if the team they ran with today is the same team they run with for the next four days.

It would mean that McKenzie had settled on his team selection before camp had even assembled which I think would be unlikely.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd be ok with McCabe playing on the wing for the badge. Similar type of player and could be useful as an option to slot in and defend at 10 for Foley (or beale) later in the game like the warpaths do. McCabe, To'omua, Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is fairly robust defensive set up from 1st phase.
To be fair Horne could do the same job

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is Higginbotham at training? Haven't seen him in any shots.

Agree, don't care either way if it's Horne or McCabe they're both very similar, very good, dominant defence and run straight and hard with good lines.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been the better 13 but I'd have Kuridrani at 13 too for the betterment of the team.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Is Higginbotham at training? Haven't seen him in any shots.

Agree, don't care either way if it's Horne or McCabe they're both very similar, very good, dominant defence and run straight and hard with good lines.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been the better 13 but I'd have Kuridrani at 13 too for the betterment of the team.
Yes, he is, saw him in a shot yesterday.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Just on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and his attention to detail: whenever his side lines up for a penalty kick, he ALWAYS chases the ball hard towards the posts in case there is a rebound. Often, he's the only one; always, he's first and fastest off the line. IIIRC, he has scored two tries for the Waratahs like that in the last three years. I love it.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It could well be the team that runs out on Saturday week, but knowing link, for the first full and very public training run he would likely have exhibited the team that had the least surprises in it.

They did a few drills and then moved into some semi-opposed sessions but didn't work any fancy moves, etc so it was all pretty routine. During the drills only 6 backs were sporting the fluro vests but before the semi opposed and after a bit of a discussion Tevita eventually slipped the 7th one on.

Yes Higgers was there and I didn't notice anyone sitting the session out.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Some interesting calls for Hansen to make at 1, 13, 14 and 15.

Which way would you fall?

1. Hopefully Crockett is fit, but I'm fine with Ben Franks. I actually quite like his game - he's not as strong a scrummager, but everything else is good.

13. Not sure I want Fekitoa in a Bledisloe just yet. Smith might be a little under-cooked after his thumb injury, but I still want him out there.

14. They'll pick Jane. Which I would too.

15. Ben Smith.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So no Dagg even as a Crusaders fan? Smith has been the best NZ fullback this year but just like the Wallabies I'd move the better player to the wing to better suit the team. Smith's carved up on the wing in TRC before and Jane was awful in the 1st two England Tests although much better in the 3rd.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'm a huge Dagg fan, but he's looking a bit gun-shy. I think he needs an extended stint out of the top side to regain top form - I'd like him to go play ITM Cup, ideally, and rip up Southland and Counties a few times. Get the scent of blood back.

I also think Savea and Jane provide a really nice balance on the wings.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
An interesting development. Seems the Waratahs win has done wonders.

Untitled.png

Has now been amended to Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.