• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The paper while interesting points to a need for more analysis. I'd be curious if there is variance between this English data and Australia where we've typically had harder, faster tracks than up north.
Again without being a scientist, I would have thought weather factors would be at play as well - longer to warm up in the NH and get the muscles firing, whilst down here especially in summer pre-season there is a higher chance of working your body to exhaustion without proper hydration.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Doesn't this align with the protocols world rugby released around the number of hours of contact training? or was that solely predicated on concerns around concussion?

The paper while interesting points to a need for more analysis. I'd be curious if there is variance between this English data and Australia where we've typically had harder, faster tracks than up north.
The systematic review incorporates study samples from across the globe - it does seem as though the English comps have lower incidence/hours, but probably too many factors at play to say conclusively.

1657674622665.png

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
ask and you shall receive https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31755824/
Edit: two more https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33046453/ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28525884/

In sum, the jury's out a bit still as the data isn't great, but it looks like incidence is remaining pretty stable, but severity is increasing. By nature, more training/game time = greater likelihood of injury

And some users want more games for Aussie players cause they think the Aussie season is short

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Lord Dudley, Jersey Road, Paddington
The Bellevue, Hargrave Street, Paddington
Woollahra Hotel, Queen Street, Woollahra
The Light Brigade, Jersey Road, Woollahra
Watson's EQ or Urban Winery in Fox Studios next to the SCG.

On the way home try the London Tavern in Underwood Street, Paddington, about the cutest pub in Sydney.

Next day, you MUST try the in house brews at the Lord Nelson in The Rocks.
You forgot The Paddington, Paddo Inn and the Imperial along Oxford Street after leaving the Light Brigade, but then I suspect he wouldn't make it to the SCG.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I was in Spain a few years ago, the hotel had a small gym. A youngish fella came in, he did the most incredible workout. Everything was done full pace, on the treadmill for a few minutes, ran to a weights station, then did some jumps. Rinse and repeat. I got dizzy just watching him. When he slowed down for a breather I asked him whether he was a pro rugby player (he had a rugby motif on his t-shirt). Turns out he was, but he had an injury of some kind.

The pro players are on a different planet.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Of course players are doing a lot more. In my day we trained twice a week, no gym work. The keener of us did some running in our own time. The players are valuable assets and professional trainers are supervising their workload. You are welcome to your opinion, but I think I will wait to hear what the experts say. If anything.
Did you wear the purple shorts then? ;)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was in Spain a few years ago, the hotel had a small gym. A youngish fella came in, he did the most incredible workout. Everything was done full pace, on the treadmill for a few minutes, ran to a weights station, then did some jumps. Rinse and repeat. I got dizzy just watching him. When he slowed down for a breather I asked him whether he was a pro rugby player (he had a rugby motif on his t-shirt). Turns out he was, but he had an injury of some kind.
Don't be fooled so easily!

Funny story, I was travelling through the USA years back, got changed into some gym kit to go for a walk around Anaheim as we were on holiday at the Disney Parks. I happened to put on a Reds training shirt and a pair of Wallabies shorts, both purchased from Rebel sport. A pommy fella and his wife came up and asked me if I played for the teams, I said no, we kept chatting for a bit, they were nice.

Once they walked away I was accosted by about 5 different groups of Japanese tourists asking for photos with me, the language barrier was terrible but I could just assume they recognised the logos and saw another couple had come up to talk with me so assumed I played rugby professionally.

To this day I hope there are some Japanese rugby fans still trying to google Phil Clinton Wallabies but nothing appears.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You forgot The Paddington, Paddo Inn and the Imperial along Oxford Street after leaving the Light Brigade, but then I suspect he wouldn't make it to the SCG.
Yer right GT....., I drew a rough line from Darling Point to the SCG and listed my favourites accordingly. Oxford Street's a pub crawl for another day, as is the line of pubs between Central and Moore Park. The bloke's gotta get to the test eventually.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)

The pro players are on a different planet.
HIIT (high intensity interval training) - pretty popular even in non-pro sport circles. Particularly good for cardio fitness and muscle endurance

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hopefully we’ll see Harry Wilson finally rewarded for his super rugby form with a starting spot this week
Harry might make into the starting side but not necessarily on the basis of his Super Rugby form imo. Rob Valetini was the standout player in both SRAu and SRP (Super Rugby Pacific), and there is no way Harry will displace him on form. Injuries might open up an opportunity for Harry, but I reckon he is a bench option only at this stage, and that could be a long shot too if Michael Hooper is persisted with despite ordinary form.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Harry might make into the starting side but not necessarily on the basis of his Super Rugby form imo. Rob Valetini was the standout player in both SRAu and (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific), and there is no way Harry will displace him on form. Injuries might open up an opportunity for Harry, but I reckon he is a bench option only at this stage, and that could be a long shot too if Michael Hooper is persisted with despite ordinary form.

Wilson can play 6 & Leota can play lock I think is what everyone is suggesting. Valentini has done nothing to lose his spot.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think start Leota at 6 with a 6-2 bench carrying both Wilson and Samu. Wilson comes in at around 50 minutes and Leota can either move to the row or come off. Valentini and Hooper start.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Harry might make into the starting side but not necessarily on the basis of his Super Rugby form imo. Rob Valetini was the standout player in both SRAu and (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific), and there is no way Harry will displace him on form. Injuries might open up an opportunity for Harry, but I reckon he is a bench option only at this stage, and that could be a long shot too if Michael Hooper is persisted with despite ordinary form.
Wilson won the Qld players player award and was arguably the best Oz back rower in Super Rugby. No one is suggesting Bobby V. gets replaced but Wilson could easily be there on form.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Wilson can play 6 & Leota can play lock I think is what everyone is suggesting. Valentini has done nothing to lose his spot.
I'd say Rob Leota is in the same boat. His form in Tests 1 and 2 has been excellent and surely he doesn't deserve to lose his spot.

The injury problem in the locks could see Rob Leota move of course, and I agree that Harry could be next cab off the rank in the 6 spot, but if that occurs it will essentially be as a result of injury not because Harry's form has forced the issue. That is the point I was attempting to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.