• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It is probably likely that some of the main squad members will turn out for Aus A when they're not needed for test duty. Someone like Nonggorr at THP, Lynagh at 10, one of Toole or Jorgensen on the wing or maybe Jorgensen at 15? That would appear to be consistent with your picks of Canham and Hooper who I expect to be named in the main squad.

If not, then van Nek at THP would be a good pick. Plenty of Super experience now and another member of the 2019 U20s standout team IIRC.

Ten will be an issue if Lynagh isn't in the mix. HMP and Bowen are both promising youngsters but inexperienced. My left field selection would be Declan Meredith from the Brumbies. He is 25 years old and has a couple of years on the other two playing top level club rugby and I think has tasted Super as well. More likely, though, that he won't get a look in not having come through the age groups like the other two.

Will be great to see the likes of Canham, Sua'ali'i, Ryan and Lancaster get good game time at this level.
Not sure how many will drop back from the main squad, Schmidt seems to like to have a fair few players in reserve at the warm up in case of emergencies. It may mean some shuffling of the squads initially to get the fringe guys more game time, while a few experienced reserves end up held in case of emergencies only to drop out of the squad once the A tour is done.

Either way, I think there are a fair few 10s in front of Meredith for the A side - Edmed, Creighton, Debreczeni, McLaughlin-Phillips, Bowen and Max Burey are all likely to get the call up first. Guys like Edmed, Creighton and Burey are of a similar age with a lot more experience, (Debreczeni older with a hell of a lot more) and even Bowen and McLaughlin-Phillips have significantly more minutes of super (and under 20s). The A squad probably only needs 2 of those guys (maybe a 3rd if they're happy to use them as a utility), but might also have emergency 10 coverage from Stewart, Campbell or someone else depending on selections that leaves them happy enough to leave it at 2.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes they do need to be careful they don’t fall into a similar position as they have in the past where the “A” team is getting plenty of game time, then Australia A is basically the “C” team and you end up with all these guys in the middle not getting game time anywhere as they are on fringe of main squad. Guys like Hooper, Nasser, feluai, toole etc

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Edmed would be the obvious Australia A ten wouldn't he? I'd imagine Lolesio and Donaldson will share the starting role, and Lynagh will come onto the bench to rest the one of those two "starters" for Wales and Scotland
You'd think so. Especially given he will be match fit. A few of the Force players might get a chance to put their hand up given they are in SA right now playing. Although I still think it's for youth and Wallabies so a guy like Burey doesn't necessarily fit my personal belief in who should be picked.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Not sure how many will drop back from the main squad, Schmidt seems to like to have a fair few players in reserve at the warm up in case of emergencies. It may mean some shuffling of the squads initially to get the fringe guys more game time, while a few experienced reserves end up held in case of emergencies only to drop out of the squad once the A tour is done.

Either way, I think there are a fair few 10s in front of Meredith for the A side - Edmed, Creighton, Debreczeni, McLaughlin-Phillips, Bowen and Max Burey are all likely to get the call up first. Guys like Edmed, Creighton and Burey are of a similar age with a lot more experience, (Debreczeni older with a hell of a lot more) and even Bowen and McLaughlin-Phillips have significantly more minutes of super (and under 20s). The A squad probably only needs 2 of those guys (maybe a 3rd if they're happy to use them as a utility), but might also have emergency 10 coverage from Stewart, Campbell or someone else depending on selections that leaves them happy enough to leave it at 2.
Will the Aus A games be played on the same day as the tests? I would have thought they would be mid-week games. If they are mid-week then it would seem to me to be possible for those main squad members not being used in the test matches to play for the Aus A Team and still be available for the test warm up.

Especially as Mr P says, those players really need game time too or they will suffer.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Will the Aus A games be played on the same day as the tests? I would have thought they would be mid-week games. If they are mid-week then it would seem to me to be possible for those main squad members not being used in the test matches to play for the Aus A Team and still be available for the test warm up.

Especially as Mr P says, those players really need game time too or they will suffer.
Aus A games are Friday 8th of November (Bristol) and Sunday 17th November (England XV). The wallabies are playing at Twickenham on Saturday the 9th and Cardiff on Sunday the 17th, So there maybe a little room for cross over on the first weekend but no chance of it on the second.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
There's only two games

The Bristol game is on Friday before the England game and the England A game on Sunday after the Wales game

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fixtures:

8 Nov: Bristol Bears v Australia XV @ Ashton Gate

9 Nov: England v Australia @ Allianz Stadium,

17 Nov: England A v Australia A @ The Stoop

17 Nov: Wales v Australia @ Principality Stadium

24 Nov: Scotland v Australia @ Murrayfield Stadium

30 Nov: Ireland v Australia @ Aviva Stadium

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Fixtures:

27 Oct: Warmup Match: Saitama Panasonic Wildknights vs Reds @ Kumagaya

4 Nov: Saitama Panasonic Wildknights vs Reds @ Kumagaya

8 Nov: Bristol Bears v Australia XV @ Ashton Gate

9 Nov: England v Australia @ Allianz Stadium,

17 Nov: England A v Australia A @ The Stoop

17 Nov: Wales v Australia @ Principality Stadium

24 Nov: Scotland v Australia @ Murrayfield Stadium

30 Nov: Ireland v Australia @ Aviva Stadium

31 Jan: Bristol Bears v Reds @ Bristol

7 Feb: Ulster v Reds @ Ulster

I included the Reds games as well; all of the above probably explains why the Reds took a Rd 1 Bye in Super Rugby.