• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reds are going in January

had me thinking after Aus A commitments if any of the reds players have the appetite to do some offseason backpacking around Europe during Xmas/NYE and just wait for their reds team to arrive
Will Reds players who go on Wallaby EoYT be able to turn out for the January games? Some will be subject to the off season requirements

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Will Reds players who go on Wallaby EoYT be able to turn out for the January games? Some will be subject to the off season requirements
It'll probably down to player choice. They'll likely be entitled to a break as per the CBA but will be able to waive it they want to tour - there have been a few turn up to pre-season early in the last few season, keen to get back into it. I imagine there will be a few who are only on tour for the two A games and don't get a lot of time that will be keen to.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Who do we want to see for Aus A this tour?

Probably needs to balance next best XV with developing potential future Wallabies, who may still be a bit green.

I would like to see:

1. Schoupp / Hoopert
2. Pollard / Vailanu
3. De Lutiss / Amone
4. Canham / Blythe
5. Amotosero / Swain
6. Hooper / Leota
7. Scott / Reimer
8. Uru / Talataina
9. Wilson / Werchon
10. Edmed / Bowen
11. Lancaster / Grealy
12. Henry / Feluai (Pasitoa if fit)
13. O'Donnell / Walton
14. Suali'i / Anderson
15. Campbell / HMP
Which Hooper Raytah? If Tom, won't he be in the main touring squad? Similar with Uru and possibly Feliuai?

Maybe a bit soon for Lachlan Hooper to be considered, but he'll likely make it there one day.

No place for Rhys van Nek at THP? I would definitely prefer Ben O'Donnell to Grealy on the wing.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
It'll probably down to player choice. They'll likely be entitled to a break as per the CBA but will be able to waive it they want to tour - there have been a few turn up to pre-season early in the last few season, keen to get back into it. I imagine there will be a few who are only on tour for the two A games and don't get a lot of time that will be keen to.
I didn't think it was.a choice. I seem to recall players having a mandated 5 week rest period.

(Of course, the non-Wallaby Reds players.may have already had there rest....some are on holiday at the moment I believe?)

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)

Probably needs to balance next best XV with developing potential future Wallabies, who may still be a bit green.

I would like to see:

1. Schoupp / Hoopert
2. Pollard / Vailanu
3. De Lutiss / Amone
4. Canham / Blythe
5. Amotosero / Swain
6. Hooper / Leota
7. Scott / Reimer
8. Uru / Talataina
9. Wilson / Werchon
10. Edmed / Bowen
11. Lancaster / Grealy
13. O'Donnell / Walton
14. Suali'i / Anderson
15. Campbell / HMP
Would be keen to see Harry Potter involved if he does well on the forces tour. Champion De Crespigny might be worth a look as well

And definitely edmed but I would put him with the main squad, just watched his last game for nth Harbour, was all class

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I didn't think it was.a choice. I seem to recall players having a mandated 5 week rest period.

(Of course, the non-Wallaby Reds players.may have already had there rest....some are on holiday at the moment I believe?)
I'd say most have already had it and they seem to be back in training in some capacity with their franchises. The Tahs definitely seem back at it.
Sides should love their players being involved in games. No better fitness. Of course injury is a chance but coaches get to do some early looking at their own talent.

Personally I'd prefer to see Aus A used as a Match fitness tool for extended genuine Wallaby options (Uru, Pollard, Campbell) and then a place to get games and test young prospects like O'Donnell, De Luttiss, Talataina. Those middle of the road guys like Anderson, Walton etc.. I just think for the betterment of the Wallabies take up a spot even though in the traditional sense of Aus A probably fit the team if that makes sense.

I think other sports like Cricket can be looked at for doing this. Let some guys play themselves into form and expose some kids who might be 2-3 seasons off being in actual chat for Test games.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
This could be a controversial strategy & I’m not saying it’s the right thing but maybe worth considering (caveat is Australia A and not wallabies jersey to still show some honour and earning of the green and gold wallabies jersey)

RA should use these extended team list of 64 player squads to invite some NRL prospects to come to Europe to trial/play with Australia A on a short 4 week contract.

Wasn’t Reece Walsh off contract with broncos and has signed a 5 million deal for next 4 years?

What if we told him to hold off on signing that NRL deal and will give him 50-100k to play 4 games with Australia A. (I guess most wouldn’t want to risk there next long term deal - but you never know)

we can evaluate and have better idea if he’d translate to unions.

european clubs are constantly signing medical jokers for couple weeks of services so I don’t see why we couldn’t do something similar with off contract league players and not have to make a huge long term commitment to them until we’ve seen if they have any chop.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
We probably would have a 'chance' with quite a few fringe rep squad league players. The big names I say not a hope in hell unless it lined up with an Olympics and we dangled a 7s jersey in front of a guy like Ponga or Walsh.

I just don't think it provides value for money to have guys like Sinclair, Anderson potentially develop from sold 6.5/10s to 7/10s. I like these guys and you need a few in every squad but Aus A should serve to help the Wallabies and capture our elite young talent.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This could be a controversial strategy & I’m not saying it’s the right thing but maybe worth considering (caveat is Australia A and not wallabies jersey to still show some honour and earning of the green and gold wallabies jersey)

RA should use these extended team list of 64 player squads to invite some NRL prospects to come to Europe to trial/play with Australia A on a short 4 week contract.

Wasn’t Reece Walsh off contract with broncos and has signed a 5 million deal for next 4 years?

What if we told him to hold off on signing that NRL deal and will give him 50-100k to play 4 games with Australia A. (I guess most wouldn’t want to risk there next long term deal - but you never know)

we can evaluate and have better idea if he’d translate to unions.

european clubs are constantly signing medical jokers for couple weeks of services so I don’t see why we couldn’t do something similar with off contract league players and not have to make a huge long term commitment to them until we’ve seen if they have any chop.
I hate it, sounds like a waste of money we don't have and a quick way to piss off the existing player base. I really doubt we'd learn anything we don't already know about the leagues players over a few weeks on tour with a couple of games either.

There maybe some scope for holding a few places for 18ish year old guys to join the touring party as a way to keep them in the game, but bringing in established league players on the shortest of deals to play in games which are in and off themselves meaningless? That's an absolutely terrible idea for mine, and not at all worth considering.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I hate it, sounds like a waste of money we don't have and a quick way to piss off the existing player base. I really doubt we'd learn anything we don't already know about the leagues players over a few weeks on tour with a couple of games either.

There maybe some scope for holding a few places for 18ish year old guys to join the touring party as a way to keep them in the game, but bringing in established league players on the shortest of deals to play in games which are in and off themselves meaningless? That's an absolutely terrible idea for mine, and not at all worth considering.

I am also keen to invite 18 year old projects in a squad that size.. the Australia A isn’t just about development it’s also about scouting.

I would never consider my proposition for the wallabies jersey because it would be a huge slap in the face for all the blood sweat and tears the super rugby boys put in during the year to earn the cap… I look at Australia A as more a token cap

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I am also keen to invite 18 year old projects in a squad that size.. the Australia A isn’t just about development it’s also about scouting.

I would never consider my proposition for the wallabies jersey because it would be a huge slap in the face for all the blood sweat and tears the super rugby boys put in during the year to earn the cap… I look at Australia A as more a token cap
Since when?

What actual benefit do you think we'd get out of pulling these leaguies in short term? And at what cost?

Because the example you gave was that we spend 50-100k for the opportunity to then bid on a player earning over a million a year in league. This at a time when the game is under a fair bit of pressure from chasing those guys in the first place and the move is towards only going after those players with a significant grounding in union.

No league transfer into our game has ever shown to be worth it or worthless in such a short time period as to make much of a difference to the signing decision, that's going to be even less informative when you're talking about parachuting them in without any sort of prep. That money is enough spent over a year (instead of a few weeks) to keep a promising young player in the game when tossing up between league or union.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Since when?

What actual benefit do you think we'd get out of pulling these leaguies in short term? And at what cost?

Because the example you gave was that we spend 50-100k for the opportunity to then bid on a player earning over a million a year in league. This at a time when the game is under a fair bit of pressure from chasing those guys in the first place and the move is towards only going after those players with a significant grounding in union.

No league transfer into our game has ever shown to be worth it or worthless in such a short time period as to make much of a difference to the signing decision, that's going to be even less informative when you're talking about parachuting them in without any sort of prep. That money is enough spent over a year (instead of a few weeks) to keep a promising young player in the game when tossing up between league or union.

we actually have a talent pool problem in this country Wilson. It’s unfortunately associated with playing second fiddle to NRL.

it’s going to be a 1 way traffic in coming season of Union players going to league with the introduction of 3 new teams while our super rugby contracts.

I’ve proposed an idea to tap into new talent. not saying it’s perfect… but we need to start thinking out of the box how to improve because the current model is broken

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
we actually have a talent pool problem in this country Wilson. It’s unfortunately associated with playing second fiddle to NRL.

it’s going to be a 1 way traffic in coming season of Union players going to league with the introduction of 3 new teams while our super rugby contracts.

I’ve proposed an idea to tap into new talent. not saying it’s perfect… but we need to start thinking out of the box how to improve because the current model is broken
But what do expect the return on something like that to actually be?

I don't see how it's going to lure anyone over or make much difference to recruitment decisions on these players, certainly not at the cost you're talking about. Absolutely include league players who've signed in the touring party as a way to speed up there conversion to the game, but handing out inflated short term salaries to guys who more likely than not will be back in league a week later sounds like a massive waste of money that could be so much better spent retaining the age grade talent we have coming through or the pros already in the game.

I get that you're looking for out of the box ideas, but I can't see how this helps us one iota. Even in a best possible version of it where we get a few guys out of league each year and sign them up we've just end up paying for the opportunity to then pay overs to bring them in when we could've got them cheaper by signing them before touring. That's before you consider the impact it has on our wider professional talent base and their desire to stay in Australia or even Union.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)

I would like to see:

1. Schoupp / Hoopert
2. Pollard / Vailanu
3. De Lutiss / Amone
4. Canham / Blythe
5. Amotosero / Swain
6. Hooper / Leota
7. Scott / Reimer
8. Uru / Talataina
9. Wilson / Werchon
10. Edmed / Bowen
11. Lancaster / Grealy
13. O'Donnell / Walton
14. Suali'i / Anderson
15. Campbell / HMP
I'd be curious if they'll try to get any of the European based players in a for a game either in the A's and/or Wallabies. I'm not sure if any of the o/s clubs would be open to releasing their players unless its in the window and for the Wallabies. Assuming for the A team it'd need the clubs ok-ing it?

Steve_Grey

Bill Watson (15)
Australia A is also a good (cynical) way of 'capturing' players who have multiple 'passports' to different countries - once played for A you are blocked from representing any other country (subject to the usual time lapse rules).

It used to be U20s that 'captured' but was changed in the last few years.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd be curious if they'll try to get any of the European based players in a for a game either in the A's and/or Wallabies. I'm not sure if any of the o/s clubs would be open to releasing their players unless its in the window and for the Wallabies. Assuming for the A team it'd need the clubs ok-ing it?
The Australia XV game would need a release, but the Australia A game is part of the window

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Australia XV game would need a release, but the Australia A game is part of the window
I'd be curious who'd people would like to see outside Skelton who's name is perpetually put forward.

I wouldn't mind seeing where some players like Scott Sio and Ollie Hoskins are at, at a level above the Prem. Some of the Saints boys like James Ramm and Angus Scott-Young would be worth a look, even if we're not really struggling for backrowers. Felt like Ramm left just as he was starting to find some form .. or even Charlie Savala would be interesting. I'm still sad no Super team picked up Josh Kemeny.

And do you look at some of the boys over in France, like Richie Arnold, Folau Fainga'a or Pete Samu (who always seemed to step up at international level) to see if they could add any value to a Lions campaign. Irae Simone is another I wouldn't mind seeing where he's at. Another who left just as he was playing some of his best rugby.

If they can't work out what to do with that Melbourne Lions test, they could make a pretty handy Aus. Barbarians side from all the the players abroad.

Last edited:

dusk

Vay Wilson (31)
Predicted (mainly wishful) XV for the Australia A games
1. Schoup
2. Vailanu
3.?
4. Canham
5. Swain
6. Hooper
7. Remier
8. Uru
9. Lonergan (would perfer Wilson but...)
10. HMP/Bowen
11. Tim Ryan
12. O'Donnell
13. Sua'ali'i
14. Lancaster
15. Campbell

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It is probably likely that some of the main squad members will turn out for Aus A when they're not needed for test duty. Someone like Nonggorr at THP, Lynagh at 10, one of Toole or Jorgensen on the wing or maybe Jorgensen at 15? That would appear to be consistent with your picks of Canham and Hooper who I expect to be named in the main squad.

If not, then van Nek at THP would be a good pick. Plenty of Super experience now and another member of the 2019 U20s standout team IIRC.

Ten will be an issue if Lynagh isn't in the mix. HMP and Bowen are both promising youngsters but inexperienced. My left field selection would be Declan Meredith from the Brumbies. He is 25 years old and has a couple of years on the other two playing top level club rugby and I think has tasted Super as well. More likely, though, that he won't get a look in not having come through the age groups like the other two.

Will be great to see the likes of Canham, Sua'ali'i, Ryan and Lancaster get good game time at this level.