• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia A - Back on the Cards

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Similarly to Kiap's point: for a number of years there were a substantial number of Welsh aligned but English Qualified players who were part of various academy set ups in the English premiership (primarily Bristol and Bath, but some across Gloucester, Worcester & others) who would turn down Welsh selection to remain English Qualified and hence provide the clubs with an RFU incentives when they were retained.

EDIT: Nobody asked, but this is one area I would be keen to see FIFA rules applied to the U20 Championship, Trophy and qualifying tournaments thereof: whereby selection at one of these events doesn't lock you in to that country, but it does prevent you from obtaining new eligibility through residency.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Similarly to Kiap's point: for a number of years there were a substantial number of Welsh aligned but English Qualified players who were part of various academy set ups in the English premiership (primarily Bristol and Bath, but some across Gloucester, Worcester & others) who would turn down Welsh selection to remain English Qualified and hence provide the clubs with an RFU incentives when they were retained.

EDIT: Nobody asked, but this is one area I would be keen to see FIFA rules applied to the U20 Championship, Trophy and qualifying tournaments thereof: whereby selection at one of these events doesn't lock you in to that country, but it does prevent you from obtaining new eligibility through residency.
It’s an interesting one.

there’s a few PI players who live in Australia who don’t make the Junior Wallabies but then elect to represent Fiji/Samoa/Tonga etc at the JWC for the experience.

Emosi Tuqiri is one who comes to mind for this.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
It’s an interesting one.

there’s a few PI players who live in Australia who don’t make the Junior Wallabies but then elect to represent Fiji/Samoa/Tonga etc at the JWC for the experience.

Would they not already be qualified for Aus? Is Emosi part way through residency qualification for Aus at time of of JWC?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would they not already be qualified for Aus? Is Emosi part way through residency qualification for Aus at time of of JWC?

Emosi was born in Australia.

EDIT: That is wrong sorry - but he's been in Australia since at least 2002 I believe, born in 2000 in Fiji.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s an interesting one.

Yes, so I think the important part would be about "gaining" new eligibility. If they've been somewhere for the 5 consecutive (or 10 total) years required, I wouldn't want that to be lost by turning out for an alternative, the goal would be preventing talent that has been sufficiently "identified and developed" avoid being acquired by someone else through residency.

Maybe some PI players might not turn out hoping to gain Aus/NZ/Japan eligibility, but I can't imagine it would have as drastic an impact as the previous lock in requirements.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I’d support opening the eligibility up further by not locking players in for junior and A teams, however it would need to come at the expense of the ludicrous grandparent rule.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I took this way off topic and that's my b.

The situation I would like to change is that for example, a player like Mosese Tuipulotu could represent Samoa or Australia at the JWC, and not be tied to either one of them: he could go play for Samoa, the Wallabies, or Scotland by current rules around birth/heritage.

But he could not however go to Ireland, or Japan for 5 seasons and turn out for their National teams as he had been identified and selected for another National Union.

There was a situation like this about a decade ago involving Adama Traore (not the one you're thinking of) who played for Gold Coast United then Melbourne Victory (at the time) who had indicated that once he'd gotten his citizenship he'd like to represent Australia instead of Cote D'Ivoire, declining selection in a couple of squads. But because he'd played in U17, U18 & U20 tournaments he was ultimately ineligible.

It's not something that "fixes" anything in the system: but it does start to standardise an approach that's being taken across a number of high level leagues with things like JIFF.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
So what’s the timeline looking for in terms of an Australia A’s European tour squad announcement?

Imagine the A’s will still be playing club rugby in coming weeks.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sounds like Brad Wilkin will be racing against the clock to get fit for the Australia A tour due an ankle injury he suffered yesterday in qpr playoffs.

As he plays a very niche position (strictly open side flanker) who would be the next cab #7 off the rank

Fraser McReight
Brad Wilkin
Michael Hooper
???

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sounds like Brad Wilkin will be racing against the clock to get fit for the Australia A tour due an ankle injury he suffered yesterday in qpr playoffs.

As he plays a very niche position (strictly open side flanker) who would be the next cab #7 off the rank

Fraser McReight
Brad Wilkin
Michael Hooper
???
Not sure how his shoulder is going, but Liam Wright could be in the mix (at either 6 or 7)

Agent

Darby Loudon (17)

Fraser McReight
Brad Wilkin
Michael Hooper
???

What is Charlie Gamble up to? Is he injured?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
This was the last Australia A squad that went to Tonga. Will be interesting to see the ins and outs.

Definite outs: Pone, IFL

Gibbon and 9Lonergan would be who I think are coming in as replacements.

Lachlan Anderson (Melbourne Rebels)
Jock Campbell (Queensland Reds)
Josh Canham (Melbourne Rebels)
Pone Fa’amausili (Melbourne Rebels)
Folau Fainga’a (Western Force)
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa (Western Force)
Bernard Foley (Kubota Spears)
Josh Flook (Queensland Reds)
Jake Gordon (NSW Waratahs)
Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)
Tom Lambert (NSW Waratahs)
Lachlan Lonergan (ACT Brumbies)
Cadeyrn Neville (ACT Brumbies)
James O’Connor (Queensland Reds)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (Melbourne Rebels)
Ollie Sapsford (ACT Brumbies)
Blake Schoupp (ACT Brumbies)
Lachlan Swinton (NSW Waratahs)
Sam Talakai (Melbourne Rebels)
Corey Toole (ACT Brumbies)
Seru Uru (Queensland Reds)
Rhys Van Nek (ACT Brumbies)
Joey Walton (NSW Waratahs)
Brad Wilkin (Melbourne Rebels)
Harry Wilson (Queensland Reds)

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
This was the last Australia A squad that went to Tonga. Will be interesting to see the ins and outs.

Definite outs: Pone, IFL

Gibbon and 9Lonergan would be who I think are coming in as replacements.

Lachlan Anderson (Melbourne Rebels)
Jock Campbell (Queensland Reds)
Josh Canham (Melbourne Rebels)
Pone Fa’amausili (Melbourne Rebels)
Folau Fainga’a (Western Force)
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa (Western Force)
Bernard Foley (Kubota Spears)
Josh Flook (Queensland Reds)
Jake Gordon (NSW Waratahs)
Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)
Tom Lambert (NSW Waratahs)
Lachlan Lonergan (ACT Brumbies)
Cadeyrn Neville (ACT Brumbies)
James O’Connor (Queensland Reds)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (Melbourne Rebels)
Ollie Sapsford (ACT Brumbies)
Blake Schoupp (ACT Brumbies)
Lachlan Swinton (NSW Waratahs)
Sam Talakai (Melbourne Rebels)
Corey Toole (ACT Brumbies)
Seru Uru (Queensland Reds)
Rhys Van Nek (ACT Brumbies)
Joey Walton (NSW Waratahs)
Brad Wilkin (Melbourne Rebels)
Harry Wilson (Queensland Reds)

Only person to go "up" is Pone cant even think who the next to replace him is with Holz at La Rochelle