• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

ARU moves to kill off club player payments: A 3rd tier, club rugby and the $60k persuader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He could well be referring to area, in which case the sole junior club servicing the above four mentioned locales would indeed be the largest in Sydney, although I think he is referring to one nearer my back door.
Judging by your stag I'd reckon your spot on

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I initially looked at the 4 rep team model as QH is promoting, and I'm a huge fan of that.

Recently I've talked up the 4 x Super Club model, whilst I think it can work, the one aspect I'm truly concerned about is the gap it would create with the other clubs. We should all be in it together to make it work.

Someone just mentioned the Western Wanderers or something similar - I do like that concept - Uni will frown on this. But the Tah's insist on some of their Uni players be involved with the Wanders. Didn't Dave Dennis, Izzy, Beale and some others play their grass roots at that way?

Lastly - players brought up through the Shute / Premier return to there clubs or teams post Super, and the Force, Reb's & Brumbies use this as an opportunity to develop their local talent in the 3rd Tier comp.

Belly also just made reference to playing grounds, I'd like to see the games played at club grounds and clubs benefit - I think it is the clubs that have the vested interest in making it work and this would provide incentive and supporter base.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Belly also just made reference to playing grounds, I'd like to see the games played at club grounds and clubs benefit - I think it is the clubs that have the vested interest in making it work and this would provide incentive and supporter base.

Loving this discussion. Some brilliant ideas coming out of it...thus will never see the light of day at Moore Park or St Leonard's.

I agree that Club grounds would be ideal, but they're just not appropriate. With so many grounds having turf wickets the surface would be unsuitable for this level. Hell, it's unsuitable for U12's

Can you imagine the complete embarrasment as TV broadcasts, advertising and crowds fail, if on a Friday night the Council closed the ground becasue of a downpour. Anyone who has ever dealt with councils would know this is not only possible, but very probable - and don't think for a minute they wouldn't do whatever they could to extort benefits for themselves.

Unless the Clubs own the grounds or can afford drop-in pitches, the competition would become the laughing stock of professional sport as Councils exercised their power

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What I want to know, if having clubs like Sydney Uni alligned themselves with junior clubs in the Cambletown area is mutually beneficial, why hasn't it happened already..

Many of these ideas could be implemented today at a shute shield level but they aren't, and there must be a reason for it. Is it because they aren't practical at this level, they haven't been thought of or the return isn't worth the investment?

So why hasn't a club as professionally run as Sydney Uni done some of the things people on here are suggesting like renaming themselves to appeal to a wider demographic, aligning themselves with junior clubs to secure development pathways, played games out Western Sydney to tap into that pool.. As far as I'm aware Canterbury Juniors approached Sydney Uni about affiliating themselves with the club, not the other way around.
Couold be any number of reasons why no-one's thought of it, possibly at Shute Shield level it's not as attractive as SU are completely dominant so for them it's not necessary. Gives them a chance to show their grass roots credentials and provides them with a bigger market. Maybe they might just pick it up because it's in the long term interest of rugby to do so.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I have always said that a significant portion of any ARU funding for SS clubs should be based on the number of village clubs / rep teams that the club supports.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The thing is though, club funding is for elite programs not development. The ARU might be better off providing 70% for elite rugby and 30% for development. Not sure it would work though as they are short of coin.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure I agree with funding being linked to how many village clubs/rep teams that a Shute Shield team support. Some Shute Shield teams are very active in the village clubs, others are non-existent in their village clubs.

But the main problem is, how does this promote development of Rugby outside of the heartlands. i.e. We want to develop district clubs in the Parramatta (5 clubs), Penrith (3 clubs) or Wests (2 clubs) areas but due to the small number of village clubs, the senior clubs get less money which will only be spent on keeping their club afloat and not on any development activity.

I agree with Jets above, have a portion of funding for their own operations and a portion to be spent on Development. In utopia the ARU could then co-ordinate their own development officers with the Shute Shield clubs development funds to target areas where it is needed.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Judging by the Pulveriser's statements on Fox last night, he's modified what was previously attributed to him.

1. Anything has to be affordable
2. Favours a super B style matches which provide a pathway from school to elite rugby
3. Eventually wants 3T
4. Mentioned the phrase "logical pathway" more than once
5. No mention of the return to shamateurism

Gentlemen, I think he's got it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Judging by the Pulveriser's statements on Fox last night, he's modified what was previously attributed to him.

2. Favours a super B style matches which provide a pathway from school to elite rugby
3. Eventually wants 3T

So what was all that about?
I will have to watch it at some stage over this weekend.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What I found interesting was that he alluded to the cuts that are currently underway and possibly still to come could be to make the goal of achieving one or another more accessible financially. That and he mentioned they were working on strengthen the U20 pathway.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)

3. Eventually wants 3T

Is there a link to this. Couldn't find it on the Fox web-site. Thanks

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Quick, I was very impressed with what Pulver had to say also. Must admit I don't watch HQ all that often, so have probably missed him being on before, but he struck me as an intelligent man, with some very sensible ideas on where he sees rugby going.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quick, I was very impressed with what Pulver had to say also. Must admit I don't watch HQ all that often, so have probably missed him being on before, but he struck me as an intelligent man, with some very sensible ideas on where he sees rugby going.
It was so refreshing to hear someone in rugby authority talking like a normal rugby person. No management jargon, no b/s, none of the stuff we've heard so often before. Just some common sense realism, with sensible, achieveable ideas.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
but it sounds like he's backing away from the title of this thread
No even alluded to. I liked the way he kept coming back to the need for a logical pathway for the boy in the 7s to elite rugby. He reconised the lack of anything between elite schools and super rugby and was aware that the U/20s league compe was quite attractive to many of our elite schoolboys.

I' hoping that he's seen what he's inherited, has formed a realistic view of what needs to be done and is looking for long-term solutions. I couldn't really fault anything he said last night.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
He was giving an overview of his first year in charge. No grandiose schemes, no false hope, he sounded like a G&GR contributor.

It was very, very encouraging.

The Pulveriser does spend time on the sidelines watching his boy play (for Uni Colts 2), like many other thousands of proud Mums and Dads do week in week out. For all the Uni bashers out there, perhaps the Uni associated parents have got in the ear of the Pulveriser in a simple conversational way about basic grass roots stuff, while he has been watching Angus play.

I am concerned that I have not seen him working the BBQ at one of his Angus's game (before or after but not during, as is the usual rule). In the games I have seen, Uni Colts 3 and Colts 1 parents seem to have done the graft on the BBQ.

He has his faults.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
You'd be be surprised how much Pulver gets around. I saw him at the Shute Shield and the Subbies Grand Final. Happy to chat with whoever. You get the feeling he genuinely cares about the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.