• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
@ Garry

Nothing much meant by "Try on fulltime kept the scores close"

It was any teams game for the taking & Gold did just that.
As was the Game against NQLD which Gold lost by 3 & the week before when Gold beat Sunny Coast by 3.

Gold No.8 Stood out again & their outside backs moved up fast preventing the Ipswich players from reaching the open man. While the forwards may not have won the line out or dominated the Scum, the breakdowns were 50/50 & they did own the Defensive line. Ipswich didn't have many stand outs but the whole team played well, falling just short.

I will add that I saw something amazing from the Ipswich & Gold Spectators & players, When the Gold No. 9 Was replaced with 5 minutes remaining the Applause he received was what footy is all about, Sportsmanship & Appreciation for his efforts.

Ipswich should be very proud of their team & the sportsmanship they showed in defeat.

Two Dogs

Frank Row (1)
Good game this afternoon Ippie and Gold. First half score 0-0 with Ippie almost over again and again but concede defence too good. Need to finish it off boys! Ippie had all the weight trying to cross the line but the smaller Gold boys still kept them out with skill, passion and commitment outweighing the larger boy's strength and power.
Second half was Golds no question about it - that's not saying that Ippie handed it over - they fought valiantly but Gold had the points and the momentum. If I were honest I think Ippie might have been lucky to get points on the board with knock ons missed (?) but that's rugby. Decisions went both ways perhaps and both Ippie and Gold missed other opportunities for one reason or another.

Lemon head excellent (work rate ridiculous!). Gold 8 and 2 good again. Some thumping tackles that brought the big guys of Ippie down. Full back showed his class - made some great decisions - Hows that quick step!

Shout out to a number of Ippie boys. Good job lads Scrums good but lucky not to get pinned for a few little issues. Not sure about the lineouts - Gold might have made Ippie look good here! Did Gold win any?

Anyway best game Ive seen yet - great day at Rangers. Bring on next week - it sure is getting interesting!

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
Can anyone enlighten us to the injury toll that the Logan U15's have, was vaguely told that the game last week was played on atrocious grounds and Logan got hit hard by a couple of injuries.

Logan are now down 2 of their Forwards. 1 with a broken thumb in the Ippy trial game, and last week they lost their Loose head with a broken ankle. He is out for 10 weeks I hear. From what I understand the field was more like a horses pasture or maybe a racetrack.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Logan are now down 2 of their Forwards. 1 with a broken thumb in the Ippy trial game, and last week they lost their Loose head with a broken ankle. He is out for 10 weeks I hear. From what I understand the field was more like a horses pasture or maybe a racetrack.
Well that just horrid, injury like that are tough, chin up lads plenty of more rugby in the future.
It's a real test of depth for these teams, injuries and niggles are appearing everywhere.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
This is a thread I've never looked at, can someone please bullet point.
Number of teams, and where,
Target age groups,
Is it just one competition,
Players sourced from (club, public / private schools),
Next Step,
Cheers

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes huge Match up, but would want to see starting line ups before I would make a call on this one, Whoever wins this will be keeping a close eye on the last 2 Ipswich games to see who finishes top.

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Ipswich have one game left same as Gold.

Gold need to win with BP to wrap up pool
Blue need to win both games left to wrap up pool
Ipswich need to win last game and get bonus point relying on Gold and Blue to fail ( better for and against with Gold)

Exciting!!!!!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
No Dave, not necessarily .

It differs from year on year and depends on a number of factors.

But in the main ( in QLD at least ) it is a fabulous platform for boys from Central and North QLD to test themselves against their City peers.

In terms of the boys from the South East corner , yes , there are private school boys participating but it is also a platform for boys from lesser known private colleges and State Schools who may be playing both League and Rugby ( but where hearts and minds are probably more League aligned ) to test themselves in a more mixed competition .

In terms of the GPS and AIC boys .....probably 75% to 80% ( maybe more ) of the top end of GPS boys at that U15 age level are not doing it . Overall the GPS schools are not massive advocates of it . And I daresay a larger percentage of the best of AIC at the U15 Age Group are there and participating ( and doing well )

Interesting that ( as far as I can tell ) there are 16 x U14 Boys who are the top end of their Age Group at GPS and AIC ( at their respective schools and clubs ) in the year group below .There were 2 x more who had to pull out - and that spread is across 4 x teams , although 7 of these younger lads are on 1 x team .

This is just on the Brisbane and Greater Metropolitan Brisbane Teams - I don't know about the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast Teams or the Central Qld or North Qld teams but I would imagine every team has , on average , 3 to 4 younger lads

All of these boys have done well - with approximately half of these having a genuine impact in being able to bring it in a year up. This , no doubt , will fire the start of their Club seasons that hopefully they then can carry it with them into the start of their School campaigns .

Very interesting to note as well that these younger lads who have had genuine impact in games - had some of the highest athletic testing data ( compared to their older teammates ) - across the battery of tests run by the ARU and across all categories , despite not necessarily being super sized

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
So it looks like the GPS schools are saying from under 15 onwards it is GPS comp only?
Is that because of burnout or fear of injury ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So it looks like the GPS schools are saying from under 15 onwards it is GPS comp only?
Is that because of burnout or fear of injury ?
Probably both .

+ increased Acadamic loads and strong encouragement for boys to engage more fully ( and broadly ) within what the curriculum offers

Nearly all seem to be wired into this - some more than others

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
JGC would be much more competitive if we had the players with the most talent not the most money! Pappy's blog shows where the money grab is going!!

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/a-grassroots-perspective-on-the-arus-strategic-plan/

Fabulous read.

And 90% of it is bang on the money ( no pun intended )

The only things I would say from a Queensland perspective is that the Gold Cup doesn't interfere or take kids out of Clubs as he suggests , and further , it is likely a strategic response to things such as U15 Development Lists in all the League franchises and Cyril Connell cup come U17 in League

There are quite a number of dual Rugby / League boys doing Gold Cup and some " new to Rugby" types who are more heart and soul League types across a number of the JGC teams ( not sure about U17 but believe this is fairly accurate at U15 )

Without there being a comparable alternate in what league offers Club based comp for the ambitious young footballer and their fee paying parents is a bit ho-hum perhaps

That's all though - he's right on target with everything else

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Agree, this is spot on and counters the views of many on this and other threads about which players ultimately make it.

If you haven't read this link, do it now.

Well said Mr.Papworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.