• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

and so onto France

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

yes, I couldn't help myself. Isn't unuesd a word. Sorry, been watching too much league. It was only one game, promise.

R

rugbywhisperer

v France

Half time and I guess most of us are calling for Cordingly. It's not what I would want as IMO he is past it but Burgess is having a shocker and needs to go back to school and work on some basics.
Sharpieand Moore having blinders and thankfull Mitchell is at 15. If we fix the penalty haemorrhaging a good win is assured. The breakdown a big worry though.
See yawl in 45.

R

rugbywhisperer

Re: v France

Totally agree with Rod Kafer, MOTM Craig Joubert.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Wallabies win it 18-13.

One of those games that makes you wonder why you follow the game. Referee Craig Joubert was appalling but determined to dominate the game. He was brutal on the attacking side which meant it was a stop start affair and difficult to obtain any momentum. He's as pedantic as Stu Dickinson but he doesn't actually get the calls right.

We essentially won because Giteau knocked over his kicks while Skrela had a shocker. Nothing else really worth talking about. The French never looked like breaking our line. Their sole try was a ludicrous penalty try, awarded despite the scrum having been detatched. Scrum should have been re-set.

R

rugbywhisperer

As a referee and a referee coach, I look at performances like Joubert's and Alan Lewis in HK and shake my head. I cannot fathom what is going thru their head. These are test matches, a true spectacle and all they can do is become officious dictators ruling on anythin inconsequential to the game.
It appears they either forget or ignore any and all referee edicts and briefings and just go about the game in their own little world.
If they continue in this vein it won't be long before we have US style refereeing or refereeing by TMO and the ref is simply a whistle acting instructions from above.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Yes Kafer was right the Ref turned the game into a kick fest no one wanted the ball and you had more chance of scoring off the penalties you got defending!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Merged!

So anyway Joubert was a fucking pillock on the attacking team - he called us for sealing off the ball a couple of times when the French were doing exactly the same. His failure to reset the scrum was forgiveable seeing as how the French totally dicked us.

Burgess once again had what would have been a pretty good game, marred by a couple of spectacular fuckups, but yet again he got bugger all protection at the breakdown and no options when Giteau wasn't there. Contrast his situation with the French half who had at least three Froggy forwards putting themselves into a long ruck triangle formation to give him a couple of metres' room. Our guys were going in three abreast and leaving him exposed. Still, Burgess did a lot of good things and his passing (bar that awful clearance which did NOT require a dive-pass) was improved over the England game I thought.

Our backs at least started to show a bit of flow, while our forwards appeared to go backwards in composure and commitment. Once we got the short runners hammering the line ala Hynes' try, we looked slick. Other times we looked ponderous, and I include everyone in that.

The scrum was a big step down from last week - Chisholm showed just how important his strength is at TH lock, and to Spooky I must apologise: you said some time ago that Chisholm was one of the stronger scrummagers in the Wallaby training camp, and I doubted you. Watching MMM in that Froggy penalty try I was wishing the big lug could be there. Of course that scrum was also the result of Smith just not caring about pushing from the flank, and Alexander allowing himself to be driven sideways. Hope they both learned something.

Still, its sort of a good sign that we can win games while playing like utter shit - if the opposition flyhalf can't kick further than 22 metres. It was good that he had an off night.

The commentary from the whiny Pom was pathetic, again. He thought Hynes was Cross and Mitchell was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And hopefully with our forward pack back at full strength we use the same backline - I thought it was very effective to use Morty and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in bach n barge mode and then put Quade on with that good passing game to pry open the gaps.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Geez, I'm happy we scraped that win, but Burgess would have (and should have ) felt sick if we didn't. The shocking pass that led to that scrum / penalty try was awful, and demonstrated poor technique on the pass. The merits of the penalty try may be debated due to the scrum technically being not a scrum anymore (I though the French deserved it TBH, our scrum lost concentration on that one badly), but it would not have been if not for that shocker.
Otherwise the scrum was pretty solid, although I stick to my earlier opinion that we should be trying to keep the front row combos settled and not start mix 'n match just yet.
I though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looked better at 13 (who'd have thought) and Mitchell at 15. Hynes good. Giteau kicked aimlessly at times again, sometimes good though. Ioane looked threatening - pity that pass from Smith was forward, as Digby had just planted the big left foot step and looked to be away.
Sharpe good and tight again, Moore good, Mumm and Smith solid.
Joubert - no bias to complain of, other than against the game of rugby! Some of those breakdown penalties when ball was clearly won were just ridiculous. At least he evened it out, but destroyed any chance of a spectacle as the players all realised it was safer to just kick it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I thought Smith was pretty ineffective most of the game. Giving away the penalty try was unforgiveable, though it wasn't all his fault. The way Skrela was kicking it might have only been 5 points if they'd scored wider. That said, the French technique at the breakdown showed us what we SHOULD be doing, and Smith can't always win with only Mumm for support. Probably Smith's least significant game against the French.

Must say the French defense was mostly good. When we put pressure on through the forwards it showed significant cracks, and I wonder why we didn't hit it up off the short runners more often.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nick, he could have pinged 2 or 3 others for that penalty try besides Smith. I blame him no more than the rest of the pack, and Burgess for the stupid pass.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Who was man of the match apart from Craig Joubert?

I thought Skrela was MOTM for Australia but perhaps that is a bit cruel.

The Wallabies have played little better than they have on previous EOYTs but the only difference is that we've won 3 games in Europe whereas previously we would have lost a couple of them.

Their redeeming attribute to make them a 'little better' was never giving up and keeping on keeping on like a blowfly at the window. I'm sure our blokes are absolutely stuffed as I write this, but as against England they lasted physically whilst in the same condition. I was thinking against England that our blokes were fronting up whilst tired and then I read afterwards that Deans had flogged them in the 2 camps they had because they hadn't played in a while.

Well done that man, but get the lads doing a bit of counter rucking during the week and countering the counter-rucking of the other mob. As Dingo knows: the key is to get there early and start the counter-ruck, or defence of same, earlier, because momentum of a push is tough to beat late.

A pity about the scrum. I thought it was going well until that penalty try, which is a bit like the captain of a ship saying to his crew at the end of a voyage - you were well behaved apart from the mutiny.

It was like that infamous scrum at HQ 2 years ago. 3M was the TH lock in both but it may have been all the players losing their concentration and waiting for the ball to come out.

I'm waiting to see the spin from Foley.

Well done to Cordingley when he came into the cold, and cleared the ball well. He should start next week as, flu or not, Burgess had a shocker and for the 2nd week in a row I have to say that he had the worst game of his professional career.

S

Spook

I thought Palu looked underdone (not match fit yet..understandable) and Burgess was brutal in patches and decent in others. Problem with Burgess is that his timing of brutality could not be worse (5 metre scrum, sacked when Oz is on the boil, etc). I don't buy into this talk of Burgess not having options. He got caught several times when available forwards were near him. Deans has a difficult decision to make..does he stick with the young erratic bloke or go back to the reliable but slower player. For me, reliability is required on this tour as we need to breed a winning attitude in the side. We are close to a bit of history.

I thought the Ozzie forwards were very good in the loose. Scrum was terrible with Alexander still learning his trade and 3M not really a lock. Problems areas for Oz were the penalty count and I thought we were really poor when contesting high ball. However, I also thought the 2 tries we created were top draw well and we looked clinical when required.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Agree Spook - Palu was absent for large portions of the game, but then I think our forwards were playing a bit individually bar that try to Hynes. When we operated in pods we nailed it, when we ran one out we didn't. Simple stuff, really.

cyclopath said:
Nick, he could have pinged 2 or 3 others for that penalty try besides Smith. I blame him no more than the rest of the pack, and Burgess for the stupid pass.

Yeah, but he DIDN'T ping 2 or 3 others. He pinged the guy standing right in front of him, not bound to the remains of a scrum. Sure, Burgess fucked up - but that was the previous play. You have to move on and prepare for the scrum - something our forwards clearly didn't do. If your scrum is getting beaten and you're standing right in front of the ref, you take your medicine - especially if you're not binding properly and helping push your side of the scrum when its clearly getting buttfucked. We'd be debating this along another line if the French had won by a point because the conversion was assured, being in front. Smith conceded the penalty, Smith takes the blame. Of course, I'm the only one here who thinks Smith isn't a demigod and dares to criticise him for a poor game ::)

Smith did himself no favours by drawing Joubert's ire several times previously that half.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
NTA said:
Agree Spook - Palu was absent for large portions of the game, but then I think our forwards were playing a bit individually bar that try to Hynes. When we operated in pods we nailed it, when we ran one out we didn't. Simple stuff, really.

cyclopath said:

Yeah, but he DIDN'T ping 2 or 3 others. He pinged the guy standing right in front of him, not bound to the remains of a scrum. Sure, Burgess fucked up - but that was the previous play. You have to move on and prepare for the scrum - something our forwards clearly didn't do. If your scrum is getting beaten and you're standing right in front of the ref, you take your medicine - especially if you're not binding properly and helping push your side of the scrum when its clearly getting buttfucked. We'd be debating this along another line if the French had won by a point because the conversion was assured, being in front. Smith conceded the penalty, Smith takes the blame. Of course, I'm the only one here who thinks Smith isn't a demigod and dares to criticise him for a poor game ::)

Smith did himself no favours by drawing Joubert's ire several times previously that half.
Poor old Nick fighting the good fight all alone! ::) I concede Smith didn't have his best game, but my point about the penalty try is valid. Yes, he pinged Smith. Had Smith not dived in, he should and probably would have pinged any of 2 or 3 others who were offside and interfering with the ball at the end. So the penalty try was coming any which way. Hence my point. They all take the blame - as you say the scrum got taken apart (my version's less anatomical than yours!).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Generally, yes.

Look at it this way: had it been Waugh in the wrong, we'd have had a thread all to itself on him by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.