• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

All Blacks Non-Bledisloe Matches 2024

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Are some players almost contractually obligated to be chosen (Ardie BB Flappers etc) and it becomes a bit awkward from a financial standpoint if theyre on the big bucks but not playing?

Speaking of BB

Scott Barrett said in his captain's run speech that BB was disappointed to be benched

A couple of thoughts

1. BB was awful last week.

2. How is this attitude that the bench is somehow lesser still prevalent in 2024? Our bench sucks. The move to strengthen the bench makes sense. Beauden of all players should recognise the importance of the bench - he was a brilliant bench player early in his career and his only decent appearance this season came from the bench came from the bench at Eden Park.

How about as a senior leader he take some responsibility and lead a strong bench performance.

Beauden also gave some comment at the start of the season about how he agreed with not starting but being on the bench in the England series - as if he is owed the starting jersey.

Early career BB is one of the most entertaining players i've ever seen but he's an example of everything wrong with senior ABs at the moment - they rock around with this air of self importance, go missing when it counts and then defer to this notion of 'well it's only sport' when they inevitably lose/get criticised.

ABs would be far better off with a cleanout and start again. Certainly didn't hurt the Blues this year not having Beauden around.

It would help if the media had a clue but half of them think Beauden should be starting 10.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I'm still hoping that this season will follow a 2004 trajectory where the EOYT will see more of a cleanout and shakeup of the squad.

As for the Blues, hopefully Cotter ignores any potential requests from Robertson and does what's best for the Blues, which would entail having Barrett competing for the bench spot against Perofeta. i.e.,

10. Plumber
15. Sullivan
22. Perofeta/Sullivan

If he demands to play 10 then he can enjoy the cotton wooled view from the stands or jog on off to Christchurch, or somewhere that needs a 10.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Speaking of BB

Scott Barrett said in his captain's run speech that BB was disappointed to be benched

A couple of thoughts

1. BB was awful last week.

2. How is this attitude that the bench is somehow lesser still prevalent in 2024? Our bench sucks. The move to strengthen the bench makes sense. Beauden of all players should recognise the importance of the bench - he was a brilliant bench player early in his career and his only decent appearance this season came from the bench came from the bench at Eden Park.

How about as a senior leader he take some responsibility and lead a strong bench performance.

Beauden also gave some comment at the start of the season about how he agreed with not starting but being on the bench in the England series - as if he is owed the starting jersey.

Early career BB is one of the most entertaining players i've ever seen but he's an example of everything wrong with senior ABs at the moment - they rock around with this air of self importance, go missing when it counts and then defer to this notion of 'well it's only sport' when they inevitably lose/get criticised.

ABs would be far better off with a cleanout and start again. Certainly didn't hurt the Blues this year not having Beauden around.

It would help if the media had a clue but half of them think Beauden should be starting 10.
Absolutely shits me blind.

Been reading the Blues thread archives this arvo and right from the start - 2020 ffs - Beauden was driving us all apoplectic with his garbage. Aside from some phantom-limbed flits he was basically washed up years ago.

The 3 Barrett brothers seem so utterly sure of their magnificence but check their AB win/loss %: they've brought SFA to the AB legacy. I'm guessing 60-70% win ratios following on from the dozen or so 80/90%er legends that preceded them.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
.....or jog on off to Christchurch, or somewhere that needs a 10.
OMFG.

Imagine if Beaudy joined the Cantabs.

LLZ-QWMm97Kq-b_Hd5DvkG6FGXmi7ycxkGw2mKtyNRk.gif

I would be diagnosed with the first-ever case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Of The Stiffy.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I'm still hoping that this season will follow a 2004 trajectory where the EOYT will see more of a cleanout and shakeup of the squad.

As for the Blues, hopefully Cotter ignores any potential requests from Robertson and does what's best for the Blues, which would entail having Barrett competing for the bench spot against Perofeta. i.e.,

10. Plumber
15. Sullivan
22. Perofeta/Sullivan

If he demands to play 10 then he can enjoy the cotton wooled view from the stands or jog on off to Christchurch, or somewhere that needs a 10.
Did you watch the Aucklnd/NH game last night ? Kid was holding a sign, Auckland leaking games, they need a Plummer!! Thought it was quite good actually!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Love how lazy our press/tv news etc is! I have heard on news read in paper how this is first time ABs have lost to Boks for 75 Yyears oh woe is us and how Rassie has shrugged his shouders and said it no big deal?
If they actually followed the game for longer than 5 seconds they would know the Boks have had at least 4 losing streaks of 4 or more matches , and thats just since 2000 that I can remember. I think we had 8 in a row about 2002-3.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ardie Savea. Ardie FUCKING Savea. Fuckign sick to death of this guy and his zero impact defense.

He'll probably look a million bucks in 1 of the 2 matches vs the shattered remnants of Australia and goldfish memories will prevail.

Heyy these guys all seemed to go really well! I thought it was supposed to be "won and lost up front"? Well, it wasnt. It was lost by the stupid lazy backs failing to successfully contest a single kick, stupid Dmac spraying his shots at goal and MONUMENTALLY stupid Wifebeater Reece deciding to have a chat to the ref instead of laying a hand on Malcolm Mawx as the munter strolled in untouched for the winning try in the corner.
I don't know why you hate Savea.

Yesterday he was the 2nd highest tackler with 15 (top AB was lomax with 18) and no missed tackles as opposed to 3 missed by Lomax and 2 missed by Cane who also had 15 tackles.

I saw a stat before the game stating that Savea has the most carries and most post-contact meters by any player in the RC.

He looks a million bucks because he is fucking good...

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
I don't know why you hate Savea.
We all have our favourites. I dont know why you love him.

It's pointless arguing with you on this cos you only end up in these match day threads as they trail off (like Marce) to bicker and argue so I won't.

Yes, yes, he wheels out his "crazy horse" party trick battling for an extra 2 metres twice a game and it goes on youtube.

The whole backrow has to get adjusted because he wants to play 8, when he's sized like a 7, presumably cos #7 is too much like hard work and he's a glory boy who doesnt really like tackling, just trying to "hold them up" while someone else does the snotwork.

At #8, he makes SFA dominant tackles cos he's too small there to stop shit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
We all have our favourites. I dont know why you love him.

It's pointless arguing with you on this cos you only end up in these match day threads as they trail off (like Marce) to bicker and argue so I won't.

Yes, yes, he wheels out his "crazy horse" party trick battling for an extra 2 metres twice a game and it goes on youtube.

The whole backrow has to get adjusted because he wants to play 8, when he's sized like a 7, presumably cos #7 is too much like hard work and he's a glory boy who doesnt really like tackling, just trying to "hold them up" while someone else does the snotwork.

At #8, he makes SFA dominant tackles cos he's too small there to stop shit.
Yeah....the guy who doesn't want to do hard work was the 2nd highest tackler on saturday with no misses. The idea that he doesn't make dominant tackles cos he is too small is not only strange but also rather trivial. The most dominant tackler on Saturday was Ox Nche with 2. It's not like there are players who go out and just smoke every player they tackle. It just doesn't happen.

Also the claim that he just holds players up while someone else to do the 'snotwork' doesn't hold up as, again, he had the highest 'Tackles Completed' stats with 15.

The reality is that Savea is an 8 because once he became a regular AB, the captain was also the established 7. So when you say he plays 8 'presumably cos #7 is too much like hard work' you would be 100% correct in that it your presumption.

And playing as an 8, he is the current Rugby World Player of the Year. I guess he won that for his "crazy horse" party trick.

I don't mind that you don't like him - people do have their favourites and Savea is one of mine. I just wondered if there was any actual substance to your dislike, hence why I provided actual data. I'm sure you have a hilarious meme or diagram that will provide better insight :)

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Yeah....the guy who doesn't want to do hard work was the 2nd highest tackler on saturday with no misses. The idea that he doesn't make dominant tackles cos he is too small is not only strange but also rather trivial. The most dominant tackler on Saturday was Ox Nche with 2. It's not like there are players who go out and just smoke every player they tackle. It just doesn't happen.

Also the claim that he just holds players up while someone else to do the 'snotwork' doesn't hold up as, again, he had the highest 'Tackles Completed' stats with 15.

The reality is that Savea is an 8 because once he became a regular AB, the captain was also the established 7. So when you say he plays 8 'presumably cos #7 is too much like hard work' you would be 100% correct in that it your presumption.

And playing as an 8, he is the current Rugby World Player of the Year. I guess he won that for his "crazy horse" party trick.

I don't mind that you don't like him - people do have their favourites and Savea is one of mine. I just wondered if there was any actual substance to your dislike, hence why I provided actual data. I'm sure you have a hilarious meme or diagram that will provide better insight :)
tl-dr-didnt-read.gif

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)

There's more to hard work than just making tackles

He's ineffective and quite frankly lazy at ruck cleaning - watch him - he hangs back waiting for a ball run.

He poaches in defence where he hangs back and tries to time ruck turnovers.

I believe he did get one steal on the week but I also believe he gave away 2 or 3 penalties with poorly timed ruck challenges.

He's not especially effective at lineout time either - he absolutely butchered a lineout on the weekend by being sloppy bringing the ball down to ground.

He's supposed to be a leader but he is nowhere to be seen in minutes 60-80 when we keep getting pumped in matches.

At his best it's worth the trade off but his form in 2024 is well off his 2023 RWC form.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
There's more to hard work than just making tackles

He's ineffective and quite frankly lazy at ruck cleaning - watch him - he hangs back waiting for a ball run.

He poaches in defence where he hangs back and tries to time ruck turnovers.

I believe he did get one steal on the week but I also believe he gave away 2 or 3 penalties with poorly timed ruck challenges.

He's not especially effective at lineout time either - he absolutely butchered a lineout on the weekend by being sloppy bringing the ball down to ground.

He's supposed to be a leader but he is nowhere to be seen in minutes 60-80 when we keep getting pumped in matches.

At his best it's worth the trade off but his form in 2024 is well off his 2023 RWC form.
The guy who makes just about more tackles than anyone else and carries the ball for the most post contact meters doesn't work hard enough. It's hard to see how someone who 'hangs back' as much as you guys claim is also completing so many tackles.

He might not be at 2023 form right now but the criticism of him being lazy just isn't supported by any data. In today's game, you only really want 2 players cleaning out at a ruck. Savea plays to the system the ABs are playing and that seems to be having him carry the ball a lot - not cleaning out rucks.

Again, the reason Savea is at 8 is because of Sam Cane. He just became so good at it that he is almost stuck there now. I'd like to see him at 7, with another strong ball carrier now coming through in Sititi at 8. I'd like to see Papali'i at 6.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Again, the reason Savea is at 8 is because of Sam Cane. He just became so good at it that he is almost stuck there now. I'd like to see him at 7, with another strong ball carrier now coming through in Sititi at 8. I'd like to see Papali'i at 6.

The issue is we have an unbalanced loose forward trio.

Savea hasn't played much 7 for a long time now. He's basically been an 8 for 5 years.

Papalii has been tried at 6 before and found really wanting.

Sititi made a good fist of 6 - given that Savea is unlikely to be moving from 8 I'd like to see him more there.

Ideally we'd have a proper 6 and not a makeshift one but right now we have to make do.

I'd like to see Peter Lakai come in soon - none of our loose forwards seem to do much from the bench - could be a good avenue for Lakai.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
"The guy who makes just about more tackles than anyone else and carries the ball for the most post contact meters doesn't work hard enough. It's hard to see how someone who 'hangs back' as much as you guys claim is also completing so many tackles.

He might not be at 2023 form right now but the criticism of him being lazy just isn't supported by any data. In today's game, you only really want 2 players cleaning out at a ruck. Savea plays to the system the ABs are playing and that seems to be having him carry the ball a lot - not cleaning out rucks.

Again, the reason Savea is at 8 is because of Sam Cane. He just
lalalala.gif

Left-to-right; D.Ismal, K.Iwim & B.Ullrush.