• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ali Williams - haka

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay

There was an article on Stuff.co.nz about this - the Wallabies have raised the issue.

It did say that the fine might only apply during the WC, but we'll see what happens.

As a kiwi I'm rather sick of hearing about the haka, as it's a bit overdone. I'd quite like it if it was only done on special occasions, though realistically I can see that this would only add fuel to the claims that it gives the AB's an advantage.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
similar to the wallaroos, i really dont see what the issue is in a player who overstepped the line by 1-2m in a action which had zero influence on the game...

There's no issue at all, other than in the fevered minds of the IRB. But if they are going to slap one side with a fine for advancing, let's see some consistency.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
As you are aware, there is a Last Post ceremony conducted every night at Ypres in Belgium. Occasionally there are dignitaries or groups who are invited to lay wreaths at the ceremony. A few weeks ago, a platoon of Kiwi soldiers participated, and at the end performed a Haka. The considerable crowd typically in attendence were obviously not Rugby fans because at the end when the Kiwis advanced with agressive facial contortions, many of the crowd scattered in fright. It was the talk of the town for the next couple of days.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
As you are aware, there is a Last Post ceremony conducted every night at Ypres in Belgium. Occasionally there are dignitaries or groups who are invited to lay wreaths at the ceremony. A few weeks ago, a platoon of Kiwi soldiers participated, and at the end performed a Haka. The considerable crowd typically in attendence were obviously not Rugby fans because at the end when the Kiwis advanced with agressive facial contortions, many of the crowd scattered in fright. It was the talk of the town for the next couple of days.

Although I know this haka talk is getting repetitive, I can't help but continue to bite. Bottom line, I don't mind the Blacks doing the haka before the rugby, even though I'm a bit annoyed at all the new regulations. However, the silly way the kiwis are doing it all over the place now does seem pretty daft to me.

The Haka (and sipi tau etc) is appropriate for rugby, because it is, in many ways like war. There are elements of physical aggression, tactics, teamwork, blood, sweat and tears. Wtf are they doing it at a remembrance ceremony for? And stuff like their basketball team doing it is also a joke.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry that I don't have any photos, etc. I mentioned the matter to a friend who works at the Aust. War memorial in Canberra. He says that the Maori Brigade waas reputed to have performed the Haka (or similar) before battles. Perhaps that is reason enough to perform after a ceremony at the Menin Gate. Anyhow, I am off topic!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the haka was fantastic. There is nothing more traditional to the original land owners of NZ than a traditional war dance about rugby. Its all about tradition and the NZ natives often used to sing and dance about it before they discovered what it was.

Just ban it, it's over, SBW would agree unless it can get corporate sponsorship it shouldn't be seen.

I can see it now...ground announcer: "ladies and gentlemen, we now present the "Hungry Jack's Haka"!

B

Braveheart.

Maybe we should just advance on it and pay the fine. The publicity and the vibe would make it money well spent.

Imagine all the whinging from over the ditch about "dos-re-spuk-t"

N

Nooj

Although I know this haka talk is getting repetitive, I can't help but continue to bite. Bottom line, I don't mind the Blacks doing the haka before the rugby, even though I'm a bit annoyed at all the new regulations. However, the silly way the kiwis are doing it all over the place now does seem pretty daft to me.

The Haka (and sipi tau etc) is appropriate for rugby, because it is, in many ways like war. There are elements of physical aggression, tactics, teamwork, blood, sweat and tears. Wtf are they doing it at a remembrance ceremony for? And stuff like their basketball team doing it is also a joke.

maori-battalion-haka-egypt.jpg

That's the Maori Battalion in 1941 doing it for the king of Greece.

This is from 1918, WW1:

haka.fullsize.jpg

In other words, the haka is not just some modern thing invented to please the locals, it's a part of Maori culture.

The reason why the haka looked so weak in previous years was because it wasn't being done right. Buck Shelford (Maori himself) did a lot to set that right, he visited a Maori school to show the ABs what the haka traditionally looked like. The rest is history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3toRG9Fj7Ro

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So whose for advanceing the haka this weekend?

If there ever was a time to do it. It's now.

08umema

Hell if the fine is only ten grand we should. Same as wearing the wrong mouthguard brand.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
So whose for advanceing the haka this weekend?

If there ever was a time to do it. It's now.

I propose we do it in the England away strip for two reasons.

1/ For camaflouge
2/ If they think we are English we will get away without sufficiant sanction.

08umema

I propose we do it in the England away strip for two reasons.

1/ For camaflouge
2/ If they think we are English we will get away without sufficiant sanction.

Then we can enjoy a drunken night on the town with a senior member of the team hooking up with an old flame. Dwarf tossing will also be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.