• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roll Away Black 7

If that is the case and opinion at that meeting only is the criteria they set, how does a player from one of the "unfashionable schools" (SPC, SPLC, Iona etc.)get picked ? Do you have to vote in blocks aligned with your school, like horse trading based on which school not individual ability ?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have a feeling the coaches wouldn't be voting on players, perhaps assistants and external judges. To have coaches voting on their own players seems a little odd and perhaps you misunderstood it. I know for a fact in the GPS system the coaches nominate the players they believe are up to standard, the panel then reviews all nominated candidates and votes on them. I imagine these panel members would see probably a game a weekend, and varying on quantity they would probably overlap games just so one member isn't favouring a certain school.. That's the only way I see it working, to rely on coaches opinions is a bit touch and go, sure some of the older coaches may be fair in their views but new coaches seeking the best outcome for their school won't be the same.

I dare say it's much like the leadership voting at most schools. Teachers/housemasters nominate, executive vote, deliberate and decide on the best candidates. Perhaps the coaches do get a vote just incase they believe there are standouts, but I don't think their votes would count for an awful lot.

My thinking anyway, carry on

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
This is closer to the truth. There is a forum for the coaches to put forward their suggestions but it is only part of the process. There are some independent observers at key games and looking at key positions and match ups. You often see props and wingers from unfashionable schools who compete really well but don't always get the results and could be stars in better company. A big determinant is how players compete and deliver under pressure not how good these same players look in a thrashing.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was that an attempt at self promotion? Bit suss when someone with one post comes in talking up a kid who's never been previously mentioned. Keep realistic

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
Hi guys - good thread - I attended the Padua - Lauries game the other night - men in black were gutsy with 9, 10 and 8 the standouts but imo Padua were stronger in most facets of the game - I respectfully suggest the ref was out of his depth and kept Lauries in the match - at one point Lauries blatantly knocked on from a tap the ref went to blow his whistle but didn't for some reason - then Lauries scored from the next phase - great game still - both sides showed more passion than the reds - following paduans for aic - 3 , 12, 4, 5, 7

M

MARKS

Regarding the refs decisions.....Lauries v Padua. From a Lauries viewpoint its a pleasant change in a tough and luckless season thus far !
Hi guys - good thread - I attended the Padua - Lauries game the other night - men in black were gutsy with 9, 10 and 8 the standouts but imo Padua were stronger in most facets of the game - I respectfully suggest the ref was out of his depth and kept Lauries in the match - at one point Lauries blatantly knocked on from a tap the ref went to blow his whistle but didn't for some reason - then Lauries scored from the next phase - great game still - both sides showed more passion than the reds - following paduans for aic - 3 , 12, 4, 5, 7

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)

I also thought the padua 2 and 10 had quality games. The no.2 crossing the advantage line everytime he touched the ball, lineout throws were flawless. The number 10 had a quality game, his grubber kicks were pinpoint and looked very dangerous at times. definete AIC selections in my opinion

E

Ewen.M

I personally believe darcy meehan is a major contender for the #9 jersey for AIC 1. I have watched him this season, he has had a bit of a slow start in his 1st XV career but I think he is possibly the best player in the AIC.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
I personally believe darcy meehan is a major contender for the #9 jersey for AIC 1. I have watched him this season, he has had a bit of a slow start in his 1st XV career but I think he is possibly the best player in the AIC.

What school?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
take it with a grain of salt rugbywatch. He's said it twice now and it's already been deleted my moderators. Self-promotion is not encouraged :\

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
I have only respect for the Lauries boys - I taught there for 5 years - and they're always passionate about their rugby and are ferocious at the breakdown - IMO the headmaster is not big on rugby or any sport for that matter - thankfully the teachers, coaches and boys carry on the tradition - re the Padua 10 - very dangerous with ball in hand - not out of place in aic team

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have only respect for the Lauries boys - I taught there for 5 years - and they're always passionate about their rugby and are ferocious at the breakdown - IMO the headmaster is not big on rugby or any sport for that matter - thankfully the teachers, coaches and boys carry on the tradition - re the Padua 10 - very dangerous with ball in hand - not out of place in aic team

What years, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
A forum member is not obliged to answer such a question as it could compromise his anonymity, which we all enjoy.

No, Lee Grant is not my real name. I'm an American Civil War tragic too.

2cool4school

I think that the SPLC boys have been harshly overlooked, if you think harry marshall (ASH) should be in the AIC 1's then you must look at Christian Vouges-Houg, he dominated Marshy when saints played ashgrove, he also dismantled aaron sorridimi aswell, he is one of the most technical probs iv seen for years.

Dylon Nelson the hooker has taken countless tight heads this year off much larger packs and throwing in the lineout has been supurb.

Tyrone Brimble has been amazing for the SPLC boys this year and adds a huge spark to the team, lochie bousted the fullback for saints is also good player with his ball running but is also devestating in defence, so just something to think about gents.

Ps. The SPLC and st Edmunds game will be one to watch this weekend with both teams coming off wins. i think an upset might be on the cards

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A forum member is not obliged to answer such a question as it could compromise his anonymity, which we all enjoy.

No, Lee Grant is not my real name. I'm an American Civil War tragic too.

Wow. Umm yeah, I do understand that. I assure you that it was a totally innocent question, no malicious intent at all. Looking back at it, I could have phrased it better to signal my light, friendly intentions. The smiley face isn't quite good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.