• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A make over for Quade Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
From where Cooper came from, getting in the way is significant improvement.

When I first read this thread I was hoping Sully would start detailing hairstyles, assembling fashion collections and put together some simple man make-up tips. Are they coming soon? They would make the thread more entertaining.

I can see Foxtel running some sort of cross promotion on the Style channel and finally my wife and I could watch television together, as Cooper proves once and for all that the clothes maketh the man.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
From where Cooper came from, getting in the way is significant improvement.

When I first read this thread I was hoping Sully would start detailing hairstyles, assembling fashion collections and put together some simple man make-up tips. Are they coming soon? They would make the thread more entertaining.

I can see Foxtel running some sort of cross promotion on the Style channel and finally my wife and I could watch television together, as Cooper proves once and for all that the clothes maketh the man.
You've seen the pictures of my head haven't you?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2013/05/22/a-rare-fifa-date-with-cooper

It's hard to claim the bloke has bad character when he is involved in these kinds of things... I'm getting a little sick of these comments thats hes just some stuck up arrogant dick head (not here, it is a generalisation across the facebook and media realm). Good on him for getting involved with overseas fans and enjoying himself on tour.

Gee, Benny Taps must really be loathing cooper at the moment for his drop in form. Tapuai has even made the comment that he loves playing outside the flyhalf and they have a strong relationship. This, I think, just confirms that they are good mates who love getting on the field together.
"Killeen teamed up with his mate, Wybrand de Kock, and Cooper brought right-hand man Ben Tapuai, who plays centre for the Reds"

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2013/05/22/a-rare-fifa-date-with-cooper

It's hard to claim the bloke has bad character when he is involved in these kinds of things. I'm getting a little sick of these comments thats hes just some stuck up arrogant dick head (not here, it is a generalisation across the facebook and media realm). Good on him for getting involved with overseas fans and enjoying himself on tour.

Gee, Benny Taps must really be loathing cooper at the moment for his drop in form. Tapuai has even made the comment that he loves playing outside the flyhalf and they have a strong relationship. This, I think, just confirms that they are good mates who love getting on the field together.
"Killeen teamed up with his mate, Wybrand de Kock, and Cooper brought right-hand man Ben Tapuai, who plays centre for the Reds"
Who has said he's an arrogant dickhead? No one would make that wild generalization unless they know Quade personally.
Also, anyone who follows him on twitter knows that Quade enjoys fifa and plays fifa with fans if he's on tour for example, or plays touch

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Who has said he's an arrogant dickhead? No one would make that wild generalization unless they know Quade personally.
Also, anyone who follows him on twitter knows that Quade enjoys fifa and plays fifa with fans if he's on tour for example, or plays touch

Yeh as I said, it doesnt happen on here but its a generalization on facebook and other social media.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
You've seen the pictures of my head haven't you?

You do seem to have ample motivation for starting a makeover thread.

:)

Its such a shame the bromance between QC (Quade Cooper) and RD has broken up. They made a great odd couple. The flawed FiFA playing kid from the wrong side of the tracks and the paddle boarding mystic toff. Has the makings of a great sitcom.

Oh right, they've gone the reality TV approach. Well, it seems to rate. But I'm getting a bit bored with it.

M

Muttonbird

Well, common consensus among those who have met him is that he is not arrogant, nor a dickhead, but those of us who have not met him can only go by what he himself projects in the media, social and mainstream.

Also, on the pitch he had that ridiculous personal and ongoing scrap with Richie McCaw. If he's lucky enough to play Richie again, I imagine he'll put that stuff away.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't be bothered reading all the posts in this thread so apologies if this has already been said...

Why not just have Quade Cooper play fullback? With Beale presumably out and JOC (James O'Connor) likely to be 10, there is no obvious option. Folau would be ok. Barnes would be ok. Mogg would be ok. So would Cooper. But Cooper would also be good to bring into first receiver for first phase set moves. And maybe we can actually have some of those.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't be bothered reading all the posts in this thread so apologies if this has already been said.

Why not just have Quade Cooper play fullback? With Beale presumably out and JOC (James O'Connor) likely to be 10, there is no obvious option. Folau would be ok. Barnes would be ok. Mogg would be ok. So would Cooper. But Cooper would also be good to bring into first receiver for first phase set moves. And maybe we can actually have some of those.

I certainly don't consider Cooper a better option at fullback than Barnes or Folau and I can't imagine any of the selectors would either.

The opinion of some people seems to be that QC (Quade Cooper)'s attacking prowess has been so spectacular this season that he needs to be in the team regardless of other deficiencies in his game. I just don't see it that way this year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He's defended better from the back than Folau or Mogg this year. I haven't seem him take enough bombs this year to really see if he's improved his ability under the high ball or not. That would be the Achilles heel that rules him out of playing 15.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I certainly don't consider Cooper a better option at fullback than Barnes or Folau and I can't imagine any of the selectors would either.

The opinion of some people seems to be that QC (Quade Cooper)'s attacking prowess has been so spectacular this season that he needs to be in the team regardless of other deficiencies in his game. I just don't see it that way this year.

I agree that he isn't a fullback.

The reason his attacking prowess is not as prominent this year as it has been is because Deans has deliberately requested that he tones his game down. Subsequently, he has now be accused of being predictable and not adaptable enough (this is quite ironic considering the nature of Deans' game plans). Quade has done exactly what he has been told and dramatically improved the balance of his game. You have to make up your mind, do you want him to be flamboyant and risky or balanced and slightly less effective in attack?

I am yet to be convinced that his defence is a 'deficiency'. It is definitely not his strength or asset, but it is tough to say that an 83% tackle rate compared to O'Connor's 89% is a serious issue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reason his attacking prowess is not as prominent this year as it has been is because Deans has deliberately requested that he tones his game down. Subsequently, he has now be accused of being predictable and not adaptable enough (this is quite ironic considering the nature of Deans' game plans). Quade has done exactly what he has been told and dramatically improved the balance of his game. You have to make up your mind, do you want him to be flamboyant and risky or balanced and slightly less effective in attack?

Oh come on. Really?

Deans is stifling Cooper's attacking game for a team that isn't the Wallabies? I really don't believe it.

Cooper's defence has improved this year but every other facet of his game (except possibly his goalkicking) is nowhere near what it was when he was dominant in 2011. It is not purely a result of trying to play a more controlled game. His form just isn't nearly as good.

T

Train Without a Station

Name a flyhalf with a number of good full games under his belt this year who also has the experience many deem necessary for the series?

That's why people are up in arms. The bloke has essentially been disqualified from a one horse race.

The options:

James O'Conner - Even Deans has said he isn't a flyhalf previously
Berrick Barnes - Has played two games as a reserve and hardly has a history of rampaging form as anything more than a safe option at 10, that won't create much, but won't have many errors. Some will say that's test rugby, I personally believe that to be a test player especially as a 10 you should be able to point to a number of great moments in that role, rather than just saying you didn't fuck up much.
Matt To'omua - Considered to be too green
Bernard Foley - Considered to be too green
Christian Lealiafano - Considered too green, played mostly 12 and was average in his 1 game at 10.

Yes Quade hasn't been spectacular this season. Compared to the alternatives, his been fucking amazing though.

Let me brace myself for the responses that Berrick Barnes 55 minutes of rugby in 2013 have been the greatest example of flyhalf play in the history of rugby. Maybe Qwerty can also mention his mesmerising goal kicking performance of 60% too.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Oh come on. Really?

Deans is stifling Cooper's attacking game for a team that isn't the Wallabies? I really don't believe it.

Cooper's defence has improved this year but every other facet of his game (except possibly his goalkicking) is nowhere near what it was when he was dominant in 2011. It is not purely a result of trying to play a more controlled game. His form just isn't nearly as good.

What I am saying is that he has been less prominent in attack than in 2011 for the simple reason that he does not take as many risks. How can you possibly not understand that? It's the whole issue that the anti Quade brigade have with him - he won't get away with those risks in international rugby! And to an extent I agree. But you are simply contradicting yourself now. Deans has asked him to reduce the risk, so he bloody well has and now he has told him he has to defend in the front line for the Reds. So it's not as though Robbie has no influence over the way he plays in super rugby. If you were a rugby player and the national coach told you you needed to do something to get into the Wallabies, you'd absolutely get onto it, wouldn't you?

On top of that his attack has not been 'stifled'. To say so is ignorant of the teams 4th best clean breaks in the competition, 4th most defenders beaten and most run metres. There is a significant difference between lacking the ability to finish off tries and attacking prowess.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
From the Fern (a Kiwi rugby site) - but written by an Aussie and slightly shortened by me

"Oh the hyper-bowl (Australia's very wide loved PM™)! The bloke has a fundamental problem with his literacy and terminal difficulty piecing together ideas and rationale.

The Australian fan sites have been running white hot with anger for days, Ewen McKenzie's in for a self interested dig and just about anyone who made the end of Club comp train on squad for the past 30 years has been trotted out to be astonished at Dean's incompetence and mesmerised by Kwade's incomparable "A to Z factor" (a meaningless modern description, replacing "brilliance" or "exceptional talent", employed by the inarticulate).

For his part Deans, the poor bugger has, in his measured manner, laid out his thinking for all to hear, carefully explaining the merit considerations. He'd have to be the finest liar west of Eden Park to be guilty of the obfuscation, bias and dishonesty he is accused of over here. He'd have fared no worse if he'd merely announced "I'm the coach, you're not, so you can gets tuft for a start. You can choose the side when you're coach, now pith off and stop wasting my time."

Our Kwade's disrespectful ravings have transmogrified, in the media, into a "feud". There never was a feud - just a self centred entitled little brat gobbing off without good reason and a terribly patient professional on the receiving end letting it go through to the keeper."

Status
Not open for further replies.