• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A make over for Quade Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
One thing I will say about Quade, he has two quite different persona's. His 'off-field public eye look at me' persona that has been the dominate view for us punters until 2011. And then there is him - a very interesting good bloke with an amazing rugby head on his shoulders. Having met both I struggle to reconcile the two. He seems to have delevoped some maturity over the last 18 months or so and this is a good thing.

I don't think that a 'makeover' is in order. He just neede to let himself out. This includes playing rugby the way he plays it.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
When Quade plays his mistakes are analysed and highlighted more then his good pieces of play are, people look for reasons to keep him out of the Wallabies.

Yes there are his supporters(Greg Martin) who look for reasons to include him, I guess it just builds on the comments above about him being a polarising personality.
You get supporters and fans who like Cooper or hate him. Some hate him cause to xxx attitude, some just jump on the I hate Quade bandwagon because of the sake of it.

Robbie Deans is a fully professional coach in a professional era and he did not get the job for nothing.

First off all Quade Cooper lacks the heart and balls on defense. Yes I said it. That is a weakness. On International level teams will exploid your sides weakness. Hiding him at 15?

This is what professionals teams do to a weak link. They create tactics for it and exploit it.
Cooper_zpsd3a51819.jpg

I hope people get of Deans back and wake up to reality

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
You get supporters and fans who like Cooper or hate him. Some hate him cause to xxx attitude, some just jump on the I hate Quade bandwagon because of the sake of it.

Robbie Deans is a fully professional coach in a professional era and he did not get the job for nothing.

First off all Quade Cooper lacks the heart and balls on defense. Yes I said it. That is a weakness. On International level teams will exploid your sides weakness. Hiding him at 15?

This is what professionals teams do to a weak link. They create tactics for it and exploit it.
Cooper_zpsd3a51819.jpg

I hope people get of Deans back and wake up to reality

If this is such a widely known tactic, why does it work so well with him at 15 in super rugby? Surely the plethora of first class coaches would've blown the Red's supposed 'weak link' to pieces if this was such an obvious solution.

Regardless, you are being completely ignorant of his efforts this year if you don't think he has the balls to make the big tackles. He does not have the best defensive brain in Rugby, I am not saying that he does. But he undoubtedly has the guts to put people flat on their arses.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can we see this as an animated gif please?

Preferably the size of a postage stamp so I can test my eyesight.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's hard with the Quade Cooper makeover. Those who have seen him at the remain behind and take extra time to talk to fans know what time and effort he puts in. I've also heard numerous stories about the extra time he puts into fan days, kids rugby visits and schoolds visits. The QRU has done well with Quade in that regard.

One anecdote: my friend and I flew up for every Reds game in 2011. We hadn't gotten any Reds signatures, and decided to get some after the Brumbies game. Unfortunately, the Reds lost and not many Reds players hung around after the game to sign autographs, with just about 3 players going around the field (the Finger twins and one more I think). My friend ran off, and got just one in the end: Quade Cooper, who came back out down the tunnel alone to sign autographs when nearly all of the other Reds had gone back to the dressing room and stayed there.

Stuff like that is why the Reds fans love Quade Cooper besides the risky plays (complete with spectacular outcomes and added errors), and I don't think opposing fans see that side of him, and nor do plenty of opposing fans want to as he's a character they already love to hate.

I guess my point is, the QRU have done an OK job at a Quade Cooper makeover in Queensland already. And, the makeover is ongoing, and will be ongoing so long as Cooper is at the Reds. It will continue to be done through schools visits, and junior rugby and country rugby visits, at fan days, and staying back and spending up to an hour post-game with the fans, even after a loss and most of the rest of the team has departed. (This is another reason the Finger twins have been great for the Reds, like Cooper they have been great off the field for the fans.)

If you're talking about ways to make opposing fans love him, I think that's not going to happen overnight. If Quade Cooper continues on his current path of improving his defence, improving his ruck work, and lessening his errors, then he will eventually earn the grudging respect. But it's a long path, and while Cooper's defence has undoubtedly improved this year, it will take time to earn respect and make people notice.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
If this is such a widely known tactic, why does it work so well with him at 15 in super rugby? Surely the plethora of first class coaches would've blown the Red's supposed 'weak link' to pieces if this was such an obvious solution.

Regardless, you are being completely ignorant of his efforts this year if you don't think he has the balls to make the big tackles. He does not have the best defensive brain in Rugby, I am not saying that he does. But he undoubtedly has the guts to put people flat on their arses.
This is a 9 half the size of a Roberts or Tuilagi
vanzyl_zps493fe539.gif

No its not a widely known tactic. Its used by the Kiwi's at international level. The type of kick used will depend on the opposing full back and other tactical considerations. For example, when New Zealand play Australia they know Cooper will defend at full back. Because they feel Quade might struggle with the high ball that is the type of kick they’ll select. If they were playing against a team whose 15 plays very deep, they may choose to use a grubber kick into space.

This is a exit zone strategy. They also used it against SA to run our big forwards engery reserves down before they use their kick and chase game

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If you are honestly going to use that as your example then I guess we should all hope that the pitch isn't wet if Cooper plays?

You're hugely off-topic anyway.

Ash

I'm glad there are other people who have actually been following him the past few years and not basing all of their thoughts on what Sydney-based media publications print. Great post.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
If you are honestly going to use that as your example then I guess we should all hope that the pitch isn't wet if Cooper plays?

You're hugely off-topic anyway.
So you are suggesting he slipped on his bum attempting a tackle where you use you arms and shoulders?

youngone

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is there a perfect footballer in Australia anyway? Everyone has the detractors...

And one run in with someone can easily form an opinion rightly or wrongly.

I've met QC (Quade Cooper) a few times... Weird personality. Very quiet off the field and refers to everyone politely. But the loudest and most animated at training and when discussing game plans...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Its amazing that Campo is still hated (having retired in 1996) and admired in the same amounts and people still say much the same things about him that they now say about Cooper with regard to his defence and error rate. However one thing that stands out for Campo is the fact that he was selected by a few different Coaches with vastly different styles who all listened to critical truthful comment from knowledgeable Rugby people, even those known to be extremely arrogant and single minded. I know that his team mates quite often despaired at some things Campo said, but they also respected his honesty and integrity, knowing that what he said was the truth as he saw it. Now we live in a country where the truth is a commodity that one has to sift out of the half truths and implied meaning of statements, if it is present at all and the statement isn't just a distraction to hide the truth.

Cooper plays well in a side with a coach that accepts and respects real truthful critique. He (the coach/manager) may well reject that advice but he is still open to the expression of that opinion. From a management perspective he is made to feel valued and you get better outcomes in terms of his performance, but also improvements are also gained in terms of the manager being able to refine their own performance. It is in direct contrast to the style of the other Senior coach that Cooper has played under recently, as has been stated by plenty of sources not living on a Rugby Forum.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is a 9 half the size of a Roberts or Tuilagi
vanzyl_zps493fe539.gif

This is Rene ranger, he play for a super rugby team call the Auckland Blues. Twice the size of cooper and runs like rhino. hard to put down, just ask james occonor he is hopping to be the new wallabies number 10.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
This is Rene ranger, he play for a super rugby team call the Auckland Blues. Twice the size of cooper and runs like rhino. hard to put down, just ask james occonor he is hopping to be the new wallabies number 10.

That's not a tackle, or even a hit, it's just getting in the way. When they both get up Ranger then dominates him.

Fair dos to Quade though - he got involved in the play after

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
That's not a tackle, or even a hit, it's just getting in the way. When they both get up Ranger then dominates him.

Fair dos to Quade though - he got involved in the play after
Your wrong! that was a tackle with a shoulder thrown in. And he got up and grabbed him around the leg to stop him. And he got up again and fielded the kick from the next phase. Awesome minute of play from Cooper.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Your wrong! that was a tackle with a shoulder thrown in. And he got up and grabbed him around the leg to stop him. And he got up again and fielded the kick from the next phase. Awesome minute of play from Cooper.

Bahahaha..... as a well-know NZ billboard mite read -'Yeah right'

I think both Ranger and Cooper were just as surprised that the other person was that close. Ranger cuts underneath and Cooper just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think either were really preapred for the contact and impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.