• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I have never seen in any sport,or any business,where such a monumental change in how the business/sport will operate,such a lack of planning,communication and stakeholder involvement.
Why the manic desire to have something/anything in place for 2014?
Broadcasting rights don't expire till 2016.

I think it may be the hope that by getting two seasons under way will assist in building some value in the competition for the broadcasting rights. Just speculating here.

Nevawaz

Bob McCowan (2)
I believe the importance of this comp is exaggerated as history has shown we can win world cups and Super Rugby titles without it. If you consider those playing overseas Aus rugby has more depth than you might think. A bigger issue is getting kids to play the game and it might be wiser to invest in this rather than a 3rd tier. If a 3rd tier is a must I'd be talking to our mates across the ditch about including our Super Rugby sides in the ITM as it could be far more viable perhaps even for NZ. Another idea is to introduce an Illawarra Central Coast and Newcastle teams into the Shute Shield finals boosted by a handful of players from clubs that missed out eg top 8, 2 pools,round robin format.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What shits me about our lack of third tier, is that we and NZ could cooperate and help each other, as is the case with the combined competitions of the NRL, ANZ Cup (netball), and the NBL.

In each of those instances, we have the majority of teams, and included is a single NZ representative team. Why can't we get a Australian team in the ITM Cup, based on the East Coast of Australia, or, hell, in Wellington or some other part of New Zealand?

Surely it's financially viable for the NZRU

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I believe the importance of this comp is exaggerated as history has shown we can win world cups and Super Rugby titles without it. If you consider those playing overseas Aus rugby has more depth than you might think. A bigger issue is getting kids to play the game and it might be wiser to invest in this rather than a 3rd tier. If a 3rd tier is a must I'd be talking to our mates across the ditch about including our Super Rugby sides in the ITM as it could be far more viable perhaps even for NZ. Another idea is to introduce an Illawarra Central Coast and Newcastle teams into the Shute Shield finals boosted by a handful of players from clubs that missed out eg top 8, 2 pools,round robin format.
We also won a RWC with out paying the players and with only 2 provincial teams of note. Maybe we should go back to that?;)
I do understand what you are saying though. A 3rd tier comp will not solve all of the issues with Australian rugby at the moment. We need to provide pathways at all levels so anyone who takes up the game can see a logical pathway from where they are to the Wallabies, Wallaroos or 7's teams.
We also need more exposure on free to air tv. I don't think this will solve that issue.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We also won a RWC with out paying the players and with only 2 provincial teams of note. Maybe we should go back to that?;)
I do understand what you are saying though. A 3rd tier comp will not solve all of the issues with Australian rugby at the moment. We need to provide pathways at all levels so anyone who takes up the game can see a logical pathway from where they are to the Wallabies, Wallaroos or 7's teams.
We also need more exposure on free to air tv. I don't think this will solve that issue.

Well, considering IS indicated that Fox are supposed to be on board it ceertainly won't rectify the FTA issue. But it could help in the future. The more content on offer the better in the long run.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We can forget about FTA, until we have a much, much better product to offer. The Australian marketplace is just not interested in rugby, they way it is now being played, and our total lack of success. We need to win, the rules need to simplified, and there must be much more running with the ball in hand. So I guess we can forget about FTA.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
We can forget about FTA, until we have a much, much better product to offer. The Australian marketplace is just not interested in rugby, they way it is now being played, and our total lack of success. We need to win, the rules need to simplified, and there must be much more running with the ball in hand. So I guess we can forget about FTA.
I disagree.
At Shute level, I've had a number of people (avid rugby follows, rugby families, and parents go along because their young kids have just started playing and their mates go) - all say great day and back up for more games throughout the year. With regards to "product"as you say I think the clubs do a great job and that's were I'd lie to see the evolution / construction of the third tier.

If you are referring to Super Rugby, and Wallabies - I agree.
But the Tah showed fantastic improvement this year, and
The Wallabies I'll call it a work in progress.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I disagree.
At Shute level, I've had a number of people (avid rugby follows, rugby families, and parents go along because their young kids have just started playing and their mates go) - all say great day and back up for more games throughout the year. With regards to "product"as you say I think the clubs do a great job and that's were I'd lie to see the evolution / construction of the third tier.

If you are referring to Super Rugby, and Wallabies - I agree.
But the Tah showed fantastic improvement this year, and
The Wallabies I'll call it a work in progress.

Super Rugby was pretty bloody good this season. Easily good enough to compete on FTA. We suffer from poor test performances on FTA. Having Super Rugby would help to eleviate this providing we go down the two conference route or SA actually follow through with the standard "we'll go up North" threat.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I agree that some of the SS games are pretty good to watch. But, then again, like everybody else who posts here, I have been watching rugby all my life.

It is not rugby followers who need to be attracted to watch rugby. It is all the others. The others who think the game is too slow, too complex, and far too difficult to understand. I fear we are alone in wanting these changes in the game. For confirmation, have a look at the Top 14 highlights - half the highlights are kicks at goal. Who can love a game like this? Just diehards, like us.

This is not about us, it is about the future of the game. It is not about Sydney, and a Sydney competition (which is not particularly interesting to people in other states, frankly), it is about the whole of Australia - or, at the least, the states were there is a Soup franchise.

We need to have achievable objectives. Otherwise we are wasting effort and scarce resources. The best we can hope for is a modest expansion of our game on Fox Sports.

I have not been brave enough to try to find out the ratings for the northern tour. I think they will make pretty grim reading, and they will probably get worse.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I agree that some of the SS games are pretty good to watch. But, then again, like everybody else who posts here, I have been watching rugby all my life.

It is not rugby followers who need to be attracted to watch rugby. It is all the others. The others who think the game is too slow, too complex, and far too difficult to understand. I fear we are alone in wanting these changes in the game. For confirmation, have a look at the Top 14 highlights - half the highlights are kicks at goal. Who can love a game like this? Just diehards, like us.

This is not about us, it is about the future of the game. It is not about Sydney, and a Sydney competition (which is not particularly interesting to people in other states, frankly), it is about the whole of Australia - or, at the least, the states were there is a Soup franchise.

We need to have achievable objectives. Otherwise we are wasting effort and scarce resources. The best we can hope for is a modest expansion of our game on Fox Sports.

I have not been brave enough to try to find out the ratings for the northern tour. I think they will make pretty grim reading, and they will probably get worse.

I have taken mates down there, I have taken U6, U7, U8 down there and there parents followed - and have all backed up for many more games after that. The Shute and its structure is a good model for the 3T, people like you will go, yes, but having the structure and location set up correctly kids, and mums, will follow because it's a good arvo out.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
In a major revamp, the 2014 Australian rugby schedule will run from January-December with Sevens kicking off the year, Super Rugby and a new six-week Super Rugby development comp running from February, Sydney and Brisbane club rugby then taking off, the new version of the ARC starting as the same time as the Rugby Championship from August to October, before the Wallabies embark on their end of year tour to the United Kingdom and Europe.

Wall to wall rugby. Sounds awesome

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...evived-next-year/story-fnhq65ja-1226766890400

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Does the Super Rugby six-week development comp refer to the Rebel Rising, Force A etc. teams?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I still think my idea is awesome.

The Academy side of each Super rugby side (already in place and set up, in their own environment with their coaches supervising development etc etc), plus a Club XV (the best of each city's respective club competitions, coached by the winning club coach) from each city in a 10 team comp that runs for two months, after the Shute shield/club comps etc all finish.

We get a semi pro comp for next to no set up cost, minimal transport/accommodation (train in your city, fly over on Friday night for your game if it's away), the grounds are already in place, you already have at least 50% of the teams with a loyal fan base in place, and the other 5 teams are going to be cheered for by their city of origin anyway. Sydney v Canberra club XV is still going to be attended and cheered for by the locals.

Don't even have to play them at Canberra stadium/Suncorp etc, just find the biggest club ground eg Tuggeranong Park, Coogee oval etc. Each could hold a crowd of a few thousand which is all we'd be realistically expecting the games to get to begin with. Why do we need to CREATE teams and start from scratch with supporter bases?

OR does that make too much sense

T

Train Without a Station

The Academy side of each Super rugby side (already in place and set up, in their own environment with their coaches supervising development etc etc), plus a Club XV (the best of each city's respective club competitions, coached by the winning club coach) from each city in a 10 team comp that runs for two months, after the Shute shield/club comps etc all finish.

We get a semi pro comp for next to no set up cost, minimal transport/accommodation (train in your city, fly over on Friday night for your game if it's away), the grounds are already in place, you already have at least 50% of the teams with a loyal fan base in place, and the other 5 teams are going to be cheered for by their city of origin anyway. Sydney v Canberra club XV is still going to be attended and cheered for by the locals.

Don't even have to play them at Canberra stadium/Suncorp etc, just find the biggest club ground eg Tuggeranong Park, Coogee oval etc. Each could hold a crowd of a few thousand which is all we'd be realistically expecting the games to get to begin with. Why do we need to CREATE teams and start from scratch with supporter bases?

I think 10 teams is too many though. I'd say add a Bris, Syd and Canberra team at most.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I don't think we'll the same sort of grounds and travel arrangements to that of the ARC in this version. With the Rebels now in place their will likely be no need to find accommodation for imports which formed a significant part of the million dollar blowout the original Melbourne ARC squad inflicted which was a major aspect in the blowout of the total budget as they knew they were going to lose money but it just went beyond projections.

We'll likely see the Sydney/Brisbane/Canberra/Perth and Melbourne teams effectively act in a very similar way you suggest in that they'll likely be stacked with Super Rugby squad players with the best of the Sydney club scene joining the overflow in a Western Sydney squad. Same for Brisbane as I expect to see a 2nd Brisbane squad as well.

I can see club grounds being used instead of larger stadiums and fly in/fly out travel being the means to keep the costs down. So in effective. It would in all likelihood be very similar to your model.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This bit intrigues me:

the 2014 Australian rugby schedule will run from January-December with Sevens kicking off the year

Is the Gold Coast sevens moving to January or will there be another event/comp or am I reading too much into it?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Someone needs to buy the pulveriser a calendar: its November 24. There's very little time left until 2014 and it appears fundamental details of the shape of the comp are yet to be determined:
revealed an eight to 10-team National Rugby Championship

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That article says that the board has signed off on the new comp,which will start in August next year.Yet the number of teams or indeed the identity of any teams is yet to be determined.
It is all predicated on a TV deal which is yet to be finalised.
Sounds a bit half arsed to me.
I would prefer they took the time to properly plan the thing so that it lasts more than one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.