• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Any chance burgo can play on the spring tour or is that a bridge to far?

I think genia needs a break and a proper pre season, but I dont think phipps is ready to start a test match yet.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
One bright side for Wales is that they are a huge threat when both Warburton and Priestland are playing. Any of the teams would struggle losing their equivalents, even the ABs. As others have posted, I can't see much of a gap at all between Boks, ourselves and Wales and I'm not sure England are all that bad despite their terrible cup effort. The gap for 2-7 is pretty close. I'll be keeping a pretty close eye on Argentina and Samoa in coming years too.

I'd like to think we will edge a lot closer to the ABs next year, but that's a fickle hope at best. I'm not as down on our game vs ABs as some, I saw us take the fight to them, but my fear is that the infighting will force wholesale changes that see us having to regroup. I really wish Deans had given McArdle a straight and detailed answer to his question about learnings Deans had as coach. It would have given me a lot more confidence he is the right person to steer the ship towards the Lions tour.

Anyways back to Wales, neither side covered themselves in glory in that game, but in this RWC we learnt the Welsh are once again a force to be contended with, awesome to see in a country with such a fabulous rugby legacy.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One bright side for Wales is that they are a huge threat when both Warburton and Priestland are playing. Any of the teams would struggle losing their equivalents, even the ABs. As others have posted, I can't see much of a gap at all between Boks, ourselves and Wales and I'm not sure England are all that bad despite their terrible cup effort. The gap for 2-7 is pretty close. I'll be keeping a pretty close eye on Argentina and Samoa in coming years too.

I'd like to think we will edge a lot closer to the ABs next year, but that's a fickle hope at best. I'm not as down on our game vs ABs as some, I saw us take the fight to them, but my fear is that the infighting will force wholesale changes that see us having to regroup. I really wish Deans had given McArdle a straight and detailed answer to his question about learnings Deans had as coach. It would have given me a lot more confidence he is the right person to steer the ship towards the Lions tour.

Anyways back to Wales, neither side covered themselves in glory in that game, but in this RWC we learnt the Welsh are once again a force to be contended with, awesome to see in a country with such a fabulous rugby legacy.

I didn't think there was too much content in any of deans answers - a bit more than usual but just a re-ordering of the time honoured phrases. That said I'm not sure his role is to expose his thinking to the masses for critical evaluation.
I dont see how we can edge a lot closer to the ABs - whatever players retire between now and then there are 2 or 3 potential replacements waiting for their chance. Once/if they buck the RWC hoodoo tomorrow night there is no reason to think that they wont have a run like Australian cricket had: they've got the players, the administration, the coaches (scattered all over the world).
I think the task of getting close to the ABs is a long term one that start with the basics in the under 10s - in 13 years time we could be competitive!

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I thought his answers were pretty empty. Essentially 'we were inaccurate'. Er, yeah. Thanks Robbie.

He could have tabled a view on tactics or gameplan, or even just some candid answers on things he could personally improve. But didn't. McArdle gave him a huge opportunity to win some faith back, even just a little, and he blew it away. Maybe he should hire me for his media manager, I'd have him talking sense within a month. Ok, maybe two. His integrity is there, I really see that in him. Aah well.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd rather we take Lucas than Phipps. He's more experienced and more mature, and I think he'd perform better.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

think the problem is we still don't have enought strength in depth. Losing Adam was a killer blow for the scrum too.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Harsh on TPN and Ma'afu? Our scrum was much better I thought, Ma'afu was actually dominating Jenkins.

The dominance was on the other side where Slipper killed James. Ma'afu got the benefit of a couple of penalties.

Hey, where's the thread for the final?

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
think the problem is we still don't have enought strength in depth. Losing Adam was a killer blow for the scrum too.
Agree, James is a LH so to was the replacment off the bench We have a fairly decent TH Mitchel but, not in the same class as AJ . You're right we lack strength in certain positions 3,7.10, 15, are the obvious ones but, Byrne seemed to have lost his sparkle, as two years ago he was one of the best 15 on the planet. Shanes retirment wont hurt us as we have plenty of good wingers coming through, one or two 10s too

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
I'm really worried about QC (Quade Cooper)'s knee, I remember some players who were never the same after a long injury. The way he steps and the pressure he puts on his knees it seems it could easily happen again. Or worst of all he develops a subconcious tendancy to protect his knee once its better, and since his major talent is fast and natural footwork he would be stuffed.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm really worried about QC (Quade Cooper)'s knee, I remember some players who were never the same after a long injury. The way he steps and the pressure he puts on his knees it seems it could easily happen again. Or worst of all he develops a subconcious tendancy to protect his knee once its better, and since his major talent is fast and natural footwork he would be stuffed.

To an extent I agree, but then Quade could afford to swap some of that god given talent on his feet for a bit of maturity and composure and he'd actually end up a better player. I think he'll be OK, these injuries happen all the time now and sports surgery has come a long way in a short time. Just look at Dagg, he bounced back really quickly from what would have been a career ending injury just 10 years ago.

I would say however that this should be a lesson to younger aspiring pros. Don't sign 1 year contracts when you are at or near the peak of your powers and marketability. It may come back to bite you on the proverbial.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To an extent I agree, but then Quade could afford to swap some of that god given talent on his feet for a bit of maturity and composure and he'd actually end up a better player. I think he'll be OK, these injuries happen all the time now and sports surgery has come a long way in a short time. Just look at Dagg, he bounced back really quickly from what would have been a career ending injury just 10 years ago.

I would say however that this should be a lesson to younger aspiring pros. Don't sign 1 year contracts when you are at or near the peak of your powers and marketability. It may come back to bite you on the proverbial.

They're usually stronger after reconstruction than they we're before it, but there are always variable outcomes. Different genetic backgrounds scar differently.
I have had both reconstructed: when I turned up for the second one I was told that they seldom see a person with a rupture on the reconstructed side it's usually the other knee - an exception was Les Kiss!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Q

QuadeCooperFan

I'll agree with that. The jumping jack rabbit step that Quade seems so fond of is silly.

this is the kind of step he should be doing (3 minutes in)

[video=youtube;ExhE0Qs0W68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhE0Qs0W68[/video]

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
He has come back from a major knee injury before. He was out for some time after hurting one of them in a club match at Souths after his first year at the Reds. Don't know if it's the same one he's done here but he has the determination to overcome it again, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.