• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2013 S15 South Africa Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The DHL Stormers team to take on the Bulls is as follows:
15. Jaco Taute
14. Gio Aplon
13. Jean de Villiers (captain)
12. Damian de Allende
11. Bryan Habana
10. Elton Jantjies
9. Nic Groom
8. Duane Vermeulen
7. Rynhardt Elstadt
6. Siya Kolisi
5. Andries Bekker
4. De Kock Steenkamp
3. Pat Cilliers
2. Deon Fourie
1. Steven Kitshoff

Reserves:
16. Martin Bezuidenhout
17. Frans Malherbe
18. Don Armand
19. Nizaam Carr
20. Dewaldt Duvenage
21. Gerhard van den Heever
22. Joe Pietersen

Schalk still aint 100% and not worth risking him.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
The DHL Stormers team to take on the Bulls is as follows:
9. Nic Groom

Reserves:

20. Dewaldt Duvenage

Interesting selection of Groom ahead of Duvenage, PB. Is that an indication that Groom is now the number 1 scrumhalf? Or is Duvenage not 100% fit? Also interesting that Groom has jumped ahead of Louis Schreuder. Do you think this team selection suggests a new pecking order at scrumhalf? 1 – Groom, 2 – Duvenage & 3 – Schreuder?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Even with the injuries, that is a mighty impressive run on side and Joe Petersen can't get a start either.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So are we using this thread for all Saffer games or do we add game threads to the Games forum?

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Even with the injuries, that is a mighty impressive run on side and Joe Petersen can't get a start either.

I would argue he's lucky to be on the bench...

Anyway, I am a little disappointed actually seeing the squad up there. The Stormers have fantastic depth in their squad this year, but that team just seems a little short on star power. De Allende at 12 concerns me a little, he is a big lad but runs upright into contact and I yet to see some silky skills from him. Also would have prefered a little more pace and carrying ability in the loose-trio, something like Elstadt in at lock and Carr on the side of scrum.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Interesting selection of Groom ahead of Duvenage, PB. Is that an indication that Groom is now the number 1 scrumhalf? Or is Duvenage not 100% fit? Also interesting that Groom has jumped ahead of Louis Schreuder. Do you think this team selection suggests a new pecking order at scrumhalf? 1 – Groom, 2 – Duvenage & 3 – Schreuder?
Yep look like this. Groome has played some good rugby in the CC and deserves the nr 1 spot.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I would argue he's lucky to be on the bench.

Anyway, I am a little disappointed actually seeing the squad up there. The Stormers have fantastic depth in their squad this year, but that team just seems a little short on star power. De Allende at 12 concerns me a little, he is a big lad but runs upright into contact and I yet to see some silky skills from him. Also would have prefered a little more pace and carrying ability in the loose-trio, something like Elstadt in at lock and Carr on the side of scrum.
Dunno Boet, agree on Carr, Fourie will have to stand up, De Allende had a very good CC final against the Sharks and look lekka physical. Meisiekind will try and run him over.

jean on de Allende
But with his more regular midfield partner Juan de Jongh also on the early 2013 injury list, De Villiers (who will play at outside centre) is looking forward to nursing Super Rugby debutant Damian de Allende through the Loftus clash.

“Damian is a great player; you wouldn’t think he is playing in his first Super Rugby game. He enjoys being in this environment and he’s flipping good at what he does. That’s a fine quality to have, and I am quite excited about playing alongside him.

“He’s got a really good pass, and the same with Elton (Jantjies) at ten. It opens up opportunities out wide, and with our back three of Jaco Taute, Gio Aplon and Bryan Habana there ought to be plenty of (scope) for that.

“I’ve played ‘outside’ before for the Stormers and also for the Boks last year, and it’s something I am comfortable with. Looking at the players we have, it’s the best mix for this weekend.”

LIKELY BULLS TEAM: Zane Kirchner, Lionel Mapoe, JJ Engelbrecht, Wynand Olivier, Bjorn Basson, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Pierre Spies, Dewald Potgieter, Deon Stegmann, Juandre Kruger, Flip van der Merwe, Werner Kruger, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Morne Mellett.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
[quote="PaarlBok, post: 448091, member: 1504]

LIKELY BULLS TEAM: Zane Kirchner, Lionel Mapoe, JJ Engelbrecht, Wynand Olivier, Bjorn Basson, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Pierre Spies, Dewald Potgieter, Deon Stegmann, Juandre Kruger, Flip van der Merwe, Werner Kruger, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Morne Mellett.[/quote]

Stormers should be able to handle that lot, plenty of conservative picks in that lot.

I wonder how long William Small-Smith, Francois Venter and Jan Serfontein will sit happily on the bench behind those two centres. I wouldn't mind if the Stormers contracting team have poke around to see if they can't lure any of them down to the beautiful cape.

Back three is also bit short on pace (other than Basson), might have considered swopping Engelbrecht and Mapoe.

Pretty shitty loose-trio too.

Who'se this Mallet chap? Haven't seen him before, but I did miss most of the CC last season.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
[quote="PaarlBok, post: 448091, member: 1504]

LIKELY BULLS TEAM: Zane Kirchner, Lionel Mapoe, JJ Engelbrecht, Wynand Olivier, Bjorn Basson, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard, Pierre Spies, Dewald Potgieter, Deon Stegmann, Juandre Kruger, Flip van der Merwe, Werner Kruger, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Morne Mellett.

Stormers should be able to handle that lot, plenty of conservative picks in that lot.

I wonder how long William Small-Smith, Francois Venter and Jan Serfontein will sit happily on the bench behind those two centres. I wouldn't mind if the Stormers contracting team have poke around to see if they can't lure any of them down to the beautiful cape.

Back three is also bit short on pace (other than Basson), might have considered swopping Engelbrecht and Mapoe.

Pretty shitty loose-trio too.

Who'se this Mallet chap? Haven't seen him before, but I did miss most of the CC last season.[/quote] Mellet comes through their youth structure. Dunno much about him. Stormers should target the scrums and lineouts. Johann Sadie is already gone for the Meisiekind reason.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tuks team for the Varsity Cup:
FNB UP-Tuks: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Riaan Britz, 13 William Small-Smith, 12 Christopher Bosch, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Lohan Jacobs, 8 Jean Cook, 7 Wiaan Liebenberg (captain), 6 Shaun Adendorff, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Mike Williams, 3 Hencus Van Wyk, 2 Mbongeni Mbonambi, 1 Sabelo Nhlapo.
Replacements: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Schalk Van Heerden, 19 Jacques Verwey, 20 Clayton Stewart, 21 Handre Pollard, 22 Piet Lindeque, 23 Christoph Gouws.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
FNB UP-Tuks: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Riaan Britz, 13 William Small-Smith, 12 Christopher Bosch, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Lohan Jacobs, 8 Jean Cook, 7 Wiaan Liebenberg (captain), 6 Shaun Adendorff, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Mike Williams, 3 Hencus Van Wyk, 2 Mbongeni Mbonambi, 1 Sabelo Nhlapo.
Replacements: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Schalk Van Heerden, 19 Jacques Verwey, 20 Clayton Stewart, 21 Handre Pollard, 22 Piet Lindeque, 23 Christoph Gouws.

Fuck me, based on the names listed there no varsity team should get within 50 points on tuks this season.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Fuck me, based on the names listed there no varsity team should get within 50 points on tuks this season.
Good to see nr12 Boschie still somewhere in a decent team up north. He sure was one hell of a schoolboy player at Paarl Gim two years back. 18 Schalk van Heerden is Wikus Boet and Moaners boy.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Geez, this is a massive loss for Springbok and Stormers rugby. Not that Juandre Kruger is a bad replacement (at Springbok level), but Bekker in full fitness and in form is pretty much untouchable as an athletic lock forward IMO. The first couple of games this season have been an indication of how he can dominate. Very disappointing.

Steelers sign Bekker

15 Mar 2013
Andries Bekker is the latest Springbok to invest his future in Japanese club rugby.
The Stormers and Western Province lock, who fitness permitting, will become the first Stormer to play 100 Super Rugby matches, confirmed a departure to Japan at the completion of this season’s Super Rugby.
He won’t be available for the Springboks, as is the case with Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie and Danie Rossouw.
Bekker, in an official WP statement, said: ‘I’m particularly excited about joining up with my fellow South Africans at Kobelco Steelers – players like Peter Grant and Jaque Fourie have had nothing but great things to say about the club
‘It was a tough decision for me to make. I’ve spent my entire professional rugby career in Cape Town, but, at this stage of my life, I felt it would be best to further my career abroad and to embark on a new adventure – both as a person and a rugby player.
‘That said, we’re just three games into the 2013 Super Rugby season… it’s still a long season ahead of us and I’d love nothing more than to end my DHL Stormers career on a high.’
Bekker, South Africa’s Super Rugby Player of the Year in 2010, has also made an additional 38 appearances for Western Province, since 2004 – scoring 12 tries for DHL WP and a further 12 for the DHL Stormers.
He has played 29 Tests for the Boks.

http://keo.co.za/2013/03/15/steelers-sign-bekker/

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)

No4 there sounds a little bit Welsh.;);)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Saffa friend in Oz is looking to buy a Kings jersey. Anyone know where you can buy them online?

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Geez, this is a massive loss for Springbok and Stormers rugby. Not that Juandre Kruger is a bad replacement (at Springbok level), but Bekker in full fitness and in form is pretty much untouchable as an athletic lock forward IMO. The first couple of games this season have been an indication of how he can dominate. Very disappointing.

I do understand that this is their career and they need to make the most of it, but I'm pretty disappointed that these guys make themselves unavailable for the Springboks while chasing cash. I guess the pride in the jersey isn't as strong for some guys.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Geez, this is a massive loss for Springbok and Stormers rugby. Not that Juandre Kruger is a bad replacement (at Springbok level), but Bekker in full fitness and in form is pretty much untouchable as an athletic lock forward IMO.

I thought Kruger had signed to play for Racing Metro next season. While this may not preclude him from playing for the Springboks, it will surely mean his availability is an ongoing question, which is worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.