• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2013 – ITM CUP - NZ's 3rd Tier Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Missed the Wgton game HJ, glad to hear Savea Jr went well, he been injured most of this year, but I also think another couple of years he maybe a tidy player.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
We need more <insert team> Bandicoots or <insert team> Wombats in high profile teams, although I think <insert team> Sea Horses may be a little light on in the intimidation/motivation stakes.

I'd watch out, the Angry Seahorses of Newcastle University RC will be after you!

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
We need more <insert team> Bandicoots or <insert team> Wombats in high profile teams, although I think <insert team> Sea Horses may be a little light on in the intimidation/motivation stakes.

University of California - Santa Cruz does have the dreaded Banana Slug.
ussc.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Is rucking making a comeback? Proper rucking you know the kind where lazy piggies on the ground (Sleeping Kiwis) are given some of the Wainuiomata Slipper treatment to engourage them to roll away and/or release the ball.

I have just noticed a few of these happen in recent ITM Cup games, - in broad daylight, in front of the cameras and the referee, and noted by the comentators.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Is rucking making a comeback? Proper rucking you know the kind where lazy piggies on the ground (Sleeping Kiwis) are given some of the Wainuiomata Slipper treatment to engourage them to roll away and/or release the ball.

I have just noticed a few of these happen in recent ITM Cup games, - in broad daylight, in front of the cameras and the referee, and noted by the comentators.

Ben Franks caught a good one recently. I'm seeing more of it, but about half the time it's also resulting in a penalty to the rucker.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

It's good to see in the sense of cleaning up the breakdown. Nothing makes sure you keep your hands off it or get out of a ruck faster than the prospect of a pair of sprigs rearing down on you.

I understand why they banned it. Not a good look for the kiddies. But I cannot see why they don't just re-introduce it to the elite levels of the game and ban from the amateur game.

The Pro game is theatre after all. Well, that's what I was told this year while doing my SmartRugby course. I largely agree with that.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)

They've all been getting rubbed out for it in retrospect though.
Glad to see refs are letting it go mostly unpunished.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Counties Steelers vs Waikato Mooloos Ranfurly Shield game was a great match to watch.

No real superstars, just good, passionate footy with lots of ball movement.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Dont kno of anyone as picked up on it, but young wing/fullback Elliott Hagen has been playing for Bay of Plenty.

He was with University in Brisbane and the Rebel Rising squads. Good player from memory, taking his chances in NZ.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
So someone fill in this North American watching from afar -- why is it the ITM Cup teams seem to be doing much better with the scrum engagement than, say, the Premiership? I'm watching Wellington-Waikato now, and the majority of scrums have been A.) stable, B.) hooked, and C.) won by the attacking team. Yet if you tune in to any Premiership press, the new scrum engagement is a mess and no one can win their own scrum.

Which is odd, because the English teams are generally known more for their set piece rather than their running rugby, yet the runners in NZ seem to have worked out that bit of the set piece without too much trouble.

Have the ITM Cup teams just gotten some special instruction? More time to work on it? Do they just catch on faster? Or is this just an example of Poms taking any opening to complain? Or is it a bit of both?

(It is cool to see actual hooking.)

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
You're watching an exception. The scrums in the ITM Cup have been the worst anywhere in the world.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
You're watching an exception. The scrums in the ITM Cup have been the worst anywhere in the world.

I don't agree with that. It has been a mixed bag in the ITM Cup.

Whilst there have been some very poor scrum games, equally there have been plenty of very good ones. It seems to come down to whether the ref has been vigilant in ensuring a steady scrum pre feed, and requiring the packs to engage close and high. Waikato v Auckland a couple of weeks ago had only 1 reset and 1 PK all game.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

I'm not so sure that's the case, and I'm not so sure it's just the ITM Cup where the scrums are working. Are they all great? No, but they seem a lot cleaner than they were this time last year.

I only started paying a bit more attention to teams winning their own scrum after I heard some Leicester coaches and players giving out about how the current scrum engagement is the next worst thing to league scrums. So this weekend I'm watching more closely, and in the ITM Cup, an Ulster-Dragons game my wife watched last night, and right now the Lions-Sharks Currie Cup game, I'm seeing more and more scrums not collapsing, actual hooking, and attacking teams winning their own scrum despite the sky falling down like Richard Cockerill would have me believe.

There have been a few stand-out groaners in the ITM Cup this season, but no more than any other season it seems. And the fact that they're able to hook just tells me either New Zealanders are superhuman, or the people complaining about it in the Premiership are full of it. Hell, maybe it's both.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Missed the Wgton game HJ, glad to hear Savea Jr went well, he been injured most of this year, but I also think another couple of years he maybe a tidy player.

He has a tonne of potential, but needs to be taken under Sir Ruchie GOAT's wing for a bit, and learn the skills of the invisibility if he is to make the step up to the next level soon. The last two games he has spent 10 minutes in the naughty boys chair for professional fouls in the red zone.

At Soup and Test level, 14 vs 15, even for 10 minutes, can cost a team dearly.

If he builds up a history of YC's and a gets reputation for this, then this could indirectly influence future referees when there is a line call to be made.

He is still very young and there is time.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
He has a tonne of potential, but needs to be taken under Sir Ruchie GOAT's wing for a bit, and learn the skills of the invisibility if he is to make the step up to the next level soon. The last two games he has spent 10 minutes in the naughty boys chair for professional fouls in the red zone.

If he builds up a history of YC's and a gets reputation for this, then this could indirectly influence future referees when there is a line call to be made.

To be fair, not everyone has access to McCaw's invisibility cloak.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Ardie Savea got his first full game of Super rugby this year against the Tahs and promptly tore us a new one. He was the primary reason we lost. He was quieter in the next couple of games and went back to the bench/squad as the season wore on.

His ITM cup form is no new revelation to any Tah player that day. Three or four more performances like that and the Kiwi's would be saying "Richie who?"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Half the debate on this forum about the Wobs would disappear almost instantly if Mr/Mrs Whitelock and Mr/Mrs Savea lived in Ipswitch and Eastwood respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.