• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South African Conference

Pos Team P W D L PF PA PD TF TA BPts Pts
1 DHL Stormers 2 2 0 0 54 38 16 3 2 0 12
2 Vodacom Bulls 3 2 0 1 92 61 31 9 4 2 10
3 Sharks 3 1 0 2 57 53 4 5 2 3 7
4 MTN Lions 3 1 0 2 75 87 -12 5 8 1 5
5 Toyota Cheetahs 3 0 0 3 67 102 -35 4 8 2 2

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Inexcusable fan behavior at Loftus.

Sadly there is always a handful of lunatics at Loftus. I hope they make a solid example of this fucker.

I am not surprised by the result. We will have an up and down season. A young team started badly and panicked. No idea why they didn't revert to the mall more. Also Steyn is like a different person if the pack is under pressure.

Paarl, I know you just love to bag the Bulls, but you worry about the Stormers. At least we have the excuse that it's Ground Floor of a rebuilding phase. You guys have been rebuilding for years and years now and have nothing to show. The Stormers are SA's best chance of getting to the final but until the backs are really not convincing anyone.

I just hope Peter Grant can step in and play like two years ago else you guys are no chance.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl, I know you just love to bag the Bulls, but you worry about the Stormers. At least we have the excuse that it's Ground Floor of a rebuilding phase. You guys have been rebuilding for years and years now and have nothing to show. The Stormers are SA's best chance of getting to the final but until the backs are really not convincing anyone.

I just hope Peter Grant can step in and play like two years ago else you guys are no chance.
;) Don worry Boet, the Brutes is one of my favourate teams, just try to up the spite coming our way next weekend. :p

Stormers have two HUGE weekends ahead. Since they patch up the defense with Nienaber they seem to have something over the NZ teams. The Bluesers have some big men in that team and the Stormers need to attack them with lineout mauls, dominate scrums, cleanout rucks and defend bravely. We need to put enough phases together and keep possesion and frustrate them into mistakes.

The Sharks will have it easier against the Reds. They are nowhere close to the team they were last year. Cheetahs cant loose against the Rebels, they were robbed last week and have to rectify their wrongs. Brutes and Lions will refuel.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
....The Sharks will have it easier against the Reds. They are nowhere close to the team they were last year.....

So amusing. The early 2011 Reds had a train wreck of an opening 3 rounds, the away loss against the Tahs was perhaps our worst and most meek for some time, and the Force was beaten by a whisker and actually played better than the Reds for most of that 2011 home match and gave the Reds an absolute shit scare. Etc.

2012 after 3 rounds, we beat the Tahs away for the first time in 9 years, and we find a way to win in all three games and are - with the Clan - the only team to have played 3, won 3. Reds top of S15 table, including by PD.

And people who expect every good team of later stage 2011 S15 status to come out in Feb/Mar 2012 as though the last 9 months gap was a mere weekend long, are just kidding themselves. That kind of imagined 'seamless transition' from the end of one S15 comp to the beginning of another very rarely occurs.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
So amusing. The early 2011 Reds had a train wreck of an opening 3 rounds, the away loss against the Tahs was perhaps our worst and most meek for some time, and the Force was beaten by a whisker and actually played better than the Reds for most of that 2011 home match and gave the Reds an absolute shit scare. Etc.

2012 after 3 rounds, we beat the Tahs away for the first time in 9 years, and we find a way to win in all three games and are - with the Clan - the only team to have played 3, won 3. Reds top of S15 table, including by PD.

And people who expect every good team of later stage 2011 S15 status to come out in Feb/Mar 2012 as though the last 9 months gap was a mere weekend long, are just kidding themselves. That kind of imagined 'seamless transition' from the end of one S15 comp to the beginning of another very rarely occurs.
You know what else is amusing? Reds fans after one successful season becoming the ultimate "go-to" people on what it takes to win a Super Rugby competition. I believe PB was referring to the Reds in current form with this weekend's game in mind. Not on their prospects for a successful 2012.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You know what else is amusing? Reds fans after one successful season becoming the ultimate "go-to" people on what it takes to win a Super Rugby competition. I believe PB was referring to the Reds in current form with this weekend's game in mind. Not on their prospects for a successful 2012.

Pleeeeease. At no time in 2012 have I said I know the Reds will win the 2012 comp or that they surely know how to win it, at absolutely no time, not even close.

Rather, it just amuses me that nearly all commentators (here and in rugby media) are predicting one or other version of doom and gloom for the Reds in coming weeks in SA, just as they were last year pre the SA tour (it was considered a near certainty that the Stormers at home would crush the 2011 Reds). And last year, on points, on form, pre SA, we were really not hugely better off than we are this year. In fact, as I noted, it's at least a reasonable argument that, by some pertinent criteria, we may well be (relatively) better off this year as we head to SA.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Reds are ripe for the picking. Sharks best chance to do it on the weekend. Sharks had two hard games at the start and had a good win under the belt. The Reds still living in the clouds, time they realise the S15 aint suppose to be an easy tournament. Sharks by 15 now.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers:
Joe Pietersen, Gio Aplon, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers (captain), Bryan Habana, Peter Grant, Dewaldt Duvenage, Nick Koster, Duane Vermeulen, Siya Kolisi, Andries Bekker, Eben Etzebeth, Brok Harris, Tiaan Liebenberg, Steven Kitshoff.​
Replacements:
Scarra Ntubeni, Frans Malherbe, De Kock Steenkamp, Nizaam Carr, Louis Schreuder, Gary van Aswegen, Gerhard van den Heever.​

for the Bleusers on Newlands.​

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds are ripe for the picking. Sharks best chance to do it on the weekend. Sharks had two hard games at the start and had a good win under the belt. The Reds still living in the clouds, time they realise the S15 aint suppose to be an easy tournament. Sharks by 15 now.

Every time I argue with you Paarl re these forthcoming matches in SA, your forecast of the Sharks' winning margin seems to get bigger ;-).

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Still going on about expanding the comp? I'm pretty sure that the Oz and NZ RUs will only agree to any expansion if it good for them (and dare I say it, more beneficial to them than it is for the SARU). I am not really sure how further expansion would work, given the commitments of Currie Cup and NPC, plus internationals. I am still not happy that all teams don't play eachother at least once in the current format - with an extra team, that will be even more remote a possibility.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...e-time-for-expansion-plan-20120315-1v5by.html

The South African Rugby Union has asked Australia and New Zealand for more time to prepare its argument for the expansion of the Super Rugby and avoid the embarrassment of having to relegate one of its own teams.
SARU has written to its SANZAR counterparts to request more time "to prepare additional options" in an attempt to convince them to agree to a 16-team southern hemisphere tournament from next year.
SARU is facing a rebellion from its five Super Rugby teams after promising a new South African franchise a place in the 2013 competition without organisers having agreed to an expanded tournament.
Advertisement: Story continues below
SANZAR has said it is not in a position for further expansion after adding Australia's Melbourne Rebels to make a 15-team tournament at the start of last season, giving each country five representatives. It also broke the championship up into three national conferences and changed the structure of the playoffs.
The ruling body argues it has sold the current format to broadcasters and sponsors until 2015 and said the season is already demanding. This year it runs from February 24 to August 4, long for a rugby competition, with a month's break in June for internationals.
South Africa's five incumbents - the three-time champion Bulls, the Stormers, Sharks, Lions and Cheetahs - made it clear in a joint letter to SARU last month that they would not accept any of their places being "compromised" by the inclusion of the Port Elizabeth-based Southern Kings.
There have already been reports in South Africa of a boycott threat from the five teams should one of them be removed to make way for the Kings. SARU denies those reports but it's clear that there is an uneasy relationship between the union and the teams.
A delegation, made up of officials from SARU and four of the teams, was due to travel to Australasia on Saturday to argue for six places for South Africa.
But although SARU chief executive Jurie Roux and deputy president Mark Alexander would still attend scheduled SANZAR meetings this month, a formal presentation for the expansion of the Super 15 has been put on hold.
"This is an important issue for South African rugby and we need to ensure that we have covered all bases," Roux said. "We have two options for our partners to consider but are completing work on a further two. If that takes a week or two more then we're happy to take that time."
SARU said Roux and Alexander would also "discuss with Australia and New Zealand the principles of expansion in advance of the formal presentation", meaning there would likely be frenzied lobbying by the pair to win over the other two countries.
SARU's argument could be aided by South African broadcaster Supersport reportedly paying more to SANZAR for broadcast rights for the Super 15 than Fox in Australia and Sky TV in New Zealand.
South Africa also has bigger rugby audiences, both at its stadiums and for TV, which could give the country bargaining power.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Still going on about expanding the comp? I'm pretty sure that the Oz and NZ RUs will only agree to any expansion if it good for them (and dare I say it, more beneficial to them than it is for the SARU). I am not really sure how further expansion would work, given the commitments of Currie Cup and NPC, plus internationals. I am still not happy that all teams don't play eachother at least once in the current format - with an extra team, that will be even more remote a possibility.
Thats pretty much the problem I had since they chance to S15, never should have happened and the only way forward on the current shitey format is to add an extra team to each conferense. NZ maybe in two minds now
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/taranaki-apply-for-superugby.10352/

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Two SA side on byes this weekend. Two plays Aussies and one NZ side. Its going to be a SA weekend, feel it in my gout tone.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers hold on to the top position with a gutsy forwards performance last night. Dominate just about all 1st phases. Most encouraging watching Ginga and Malherbe at the end destroying the Bluesers in the scrums. All the youngsters again playing their hearts out. Kolisis and his replacement Carr were huge.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South African Conference

1 DHL Stormers 3 3 0 0 81 55 26 5 4 0 16
2 Vodacom Bulls 3 2 0 1 92 61 31 9 4 2 14
3 Sharks 4 2 0 2 84 75 9 8 5 3 11
4 MTN Lions 3 1 0 2 75 87 -12 5 8 1 9
5 Toyota Cheetahs 4 1 0 3 100 128 -28 7 10 2

Difficult weekend ahead, Brutes vs Reds, Sharks vs Waratahs, Cheetahs vs Crusaders and Lions vs Stormers.

Stormers have Elstadt back but look like they will give him another game against the Kings in the Vodacom.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
South African Conference

1 DHL Stormers 3 3 0 0 81 55 26 5 4 0 16
2 Vodacom Bulls 3 2 0 1 92 61 31 9 4 2 14
3 Sharks 4 2 0 2 84 75 9 8 5 3 11
4 MTN Lions 3 1 0 2 75 87 -12 5 8 1 9
5 Toyota Cheetahs 4 1 0 3 100 128 -28 7 10 2

Difficult weekend ahead, Brutes vs Reds, Sharks vs Waratahs, Cheetahs vs Crusaders and Lions vs Stormers.

Stormers have Elstadt back but look like they will give him another game against the Kings in the Vodacom

On the return of Elstadt, do you think that if he was fully recovered he should be included in the starting XV PB? IMO, Etzebeth has done more than enough to keep his place in the starting lineup. With Elstadt being able to cover lock and flank, I think he would be useful on the bench. What are your thoughts?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
On the return of Elstadt, do you think that if he was fully recovered he should be included in the starting XV PB? IMO, Etzebeth has done more than enough to keep his place in the starting lineup. With Elstadt being able to cover lock and flank, I think he would be useful on the bench. What are your thoughts?
Ja I wont replace Etsebeth, maybe a rotation can be handy for the Stormers. Steenkamp played well so far and would like to see specially Bekker gets a break as often as possible. I am not sold on Koster yet , he play some good rugby but Elstadt use to play 7 flanker all his life and maybe good to have him on the bench or playing him there. Against the Lions I would love to see a fetcher coming in tho. The Lions have killed us the last two CC outings in Ellispark at the breakdowns with Minne, Strauss, Wikus.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Sharks expect Steyn back soon
2012-03-20 22:24

Cape Town - Springbok utility back Frans Steyn is likely to return to play for the Sharks and could already feature in this season's Super Rugby competition.

The Beeld newspaper reports that Steyn's negotiations with the Sharks could be settled within the next couple of weeks.

This comes after reports on Sunday that Steyn is seriously considering a return to South Africa, even if it means he'll earn less money.

Sharks CEO Brian van Zyl expects Steyn to return to the union after England tour South Africa in June.

"We want to sign a contract of at least three years with him," said Van Zyl.

Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer has hinted at playing Steyn at inside centre for the Boks this year. He could also feature in this position for the Sharks.

Another determining factor, according to Van Zyl, is whether or not Steyn gets a contract from SA Rugby. But that shouldn't be an issue with the Bok coach reportedly eager to utilise Steyn.

Steyn and his girlfriend will tie the knot on June 23, the day the Boks play England in the third Test. She hails from Durban and the fact that he owns property in the city makes it logical for him to settle in the coastal city.

He has already told the Bok coach he won't be available for that final Test against the English.

Steyn currently plays for French Top 14 outfit, Racing Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.