• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dead to me.

You must be a Kiwi that's lived in Australia too long. Why are you begging for charity to Australian Rugby? Would it make you happy if the ABs went easy on them? It's ridiculous to suggest that the Wallabies winning is good for rugby without Australian rugby lifting themselves up by the bootstraps.

Anyhoo, Australia is still ranked 2nd in world rugby, just so happens they are behind #1 by a significant margin.

Are you here to troll, or are you actually going to contribute something meaningful for a change?

M

Muttonbird

Are you here to troll, or are you actually going to contribute something meaningful for a change?
Codex was trolling AB fans, if that's your definition. I was responding in kind.

Having said that, I know it not a level playing field here at G'n'R so I will retreat for the moment.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
I thought Codex was a bit patronising as well. The Wallabies will have their day for sure. In the meantime I'm all for doing our best to see they remain number two. However I do enjoy a good game and salute the winner,whoever it may be.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Oh yeah, the one game at the RWC where they played against each other, yet again with a pack that was dominating.

Pocock totally outplayed Richie against Wales.

You didn't read my post correctly, I said "every game" (not just against each other), followed by "including the RWC". Besides, you can only fall back on the 'rest of the pack' story so much, if it makes one player less effective then that is just the way it is. Someone like Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe sure isn't going to be as consistently effective as Pocock behind his Argentines. What's to say he's not the best? INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE.

I don't like to get caught up in these player merit debates (well, I don't mind actually) but if someone's giving their opinion, so am I.

You can only talk about the same thing so much before it gets tedious. 35 pages in one week for a game that hasn't started...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Point taken. Apologies.
Everyone here is a bit twitchy, with the Wallabies being "some distance behind", and even you must admit you've thrown a few barbs around in the past 24 hours, and had a few nibbles. I reckon you might have known how some would respond, and I reckon you've been given plenty of leeway.
No need to go anywhere, but no need to stir the pot quite so obviously.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
You didn't read my post correctly, I said "every game" (not just against each other), followed by "including the RWC". Besides, you can only fall back on the 'rest of the pack' story so much, if it makes one player less effective then that is just the way it is. Someone like Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe sure isn't going to be as consistently effective as Pocock behind his Argentines. What's to say he's not the best? INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE.

I don't like to get caught up in these player merit debates (well, I don't mind actually) but if someone's giving their opinion, so am I.

You can only talk about the same thing so much before it gets tedious. 35 pages in one week for a game that hasn't started.

I did read "every game", hence my line about pocock outplaying richie against wales. It was tongue in cheek. That said, find one individual performance of richie's that is better than pocock's against South Africa in the quarter finals of the world cup and I'll reconsider.

It's all moot anyway. I just hope we make a game of it this saturday.

BTW. Hooper is better than McCaw! ;)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I hope Robbie uses both Hooper and Gill throughout the game.

Would be a big ask of Hooper to go 80 minutes. He is going to know he has just been amongst it in arguably the toughest arena.

With Pocock going down I'd have thought if there was a week to take a 5/2 bench this would be it. Dennis moving to lock, Higgers to 6 and Samo to 8, then the Hooper and Gill swap. Big challenge for all the guys.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I am totally over the McCaw Pocock argument. They bring different elements to the game, are both superb players with huge engines, and neither of them give up. Both of them do exactly what is expected re the laws of the game, which is to say push it to the limit and just a importantly both are ambassadors for the game. If the kiwis want to believe McCaw is still king let them have at it.

Anyway back to the match discussion, really looking forward to seeing how our backrow goes. It is a gamble, a big one, but the prospect of Higgers and Hooper carving it up off the back of play by Genia and Cooper has me really looking forward to the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope Robbie uses both Hooper and Gill throughout the game.

Especially considering there's no lock on the bench. I think we'll see Hooper alongside Gill at one stage. I'd go

Gill -> Higginbotham 65mins
Samo -> Timani 65 mins

Dennis can pack at lock.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
SBW has done very little against top Test teams (SA, AUS).

He threw at least 3 poor passes - once in the opening minutes in his own 22 that went forward and was plain stupid. The second was an intercept (which is when AF kicked it away) and then the one where they would have scored for sure.

He was a non-entity. Its incredible the hypocrisy if you can imagine the vitriol that would be directed at QC (Quade Cooper), for example, if he made the same mistakes in a match. He did bugger all and has basically played great footy at S15 level and off the back of Cruden a lot of the time. He has the potential to be a very good Test player but he isnt that yet, by any stretch IMO.

The cheer leaders on Fox carry on if he does up his shoe lace. I think Horan mentioned him 4 times after Daggs try for just running an inside line. Stiff shit, I could have done that.

I dont think he was dangerous and needs to develop his own game outside of Cruden.

Prior to Saturday he had played all of 15 minutes against Australia.

I thought he was okay last week. He was used as the ABs main ball carrier and most of it was given in traffic. He was there to draw in numbers and he did that job well.

He made mistakes but so did many other players wearing black jersies. He was far more involved and effective than Nonu. And he didn't need Cruden holding his hand, which is a ridiculous assertion. He's played quality over the last few years playing outside Carter, Cruden, Tom Taylor, Wilko, Slade

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Didn't read all the comments on the A. Finger niggle. His brother gets easily wound up but one game in particular this year A. Finger did what I thought was stupid stuff was vs the Highlanders late in the season. He pulls Adam Thompson off a ruck and then holds him down the face into the ground unnecessarily. Then he did it at the very next ruck again without no need and so when Thompson gets up and pushes him away fairly innocuously, then big brother makes a beeline trying to rough up Thompson, so two players taken y from the play for no reason against one Highlander. That seems dumb to me.

I understand the whole sticking up for a team mate and a brother, but there was nothing in it and for me S. Finger is a serial offender of just getting involved unnecessarily. But he's not the first and won't be the last, but you'd have to question his judgement.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would say that Samo is the lock cover. What scares me is the thought of Sharpe going down and having no lineout caller.

Status
Not open for further replies.