• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The breakdown was not pretty, but then it never is against the All Blacks.

I have seldom noticed such a silent and overtly passive-looking mob in 1-8 for Aus as last night. Where's the fucking aggro?

• The tight 5 were really, really shithouse. Probably the worst performance I have seen from an Australian tight 5 In the last 10 years, and there have been a few. They rarely got to rucks or set up for the next phase promptly, or with agression. Robinson, TPN and Kepu were puffed after 20 minutes. Timani had his body high all wrong, and at one stage got turned over by Smith. A halfback for christs sake.
  • The all round shitness of the tight 5 put a lot of pressure on our backrow who tried to do way too much. Higgers, Dennis and Pocock in particular, were playing under 10s style rugby of just following from ruck to ruck with out actually thinking of were the play was going. They had no confidence in the tight 5 performing their core role of securing tight and fast ruck ball.

The AB's have always built their teams around a mongrel 1-8 with a take no prisoners approach and their backs have lived off the fruits of this for decades. Even when their scrum has not been dominant or their lineout has misfired they have always been able to rely on the hardness and attitude of their forwards at the contest to keep them in the game. Many of the Wallabies wins over the ABs in the mid 1980s and then subsequently in the Macqueen era were on the back of some equally hard nosed packs who were able to "out mongrel " them.

C

Coogee50

You want the ABs chasing you. But down 18-3 after Beale's missed tackle and knock-on, and Higginbotham's knock-on, and the Hunter became the Hunted. I don't reckon it was toooo bad ... But these key mistakes cost us. You can't make them, schoolboy errors against the ABs.

Shit game though, apart from the ABs two fine scores.

W

Waylon

As bad as it was, the wallabies were in touch for the entire second half

With 20 minutes to go, the wallabies were 5 behind. The allblacks were hurting physically. You could see it on their faces. They are no special breed.The game was there to be won

If we had some backs that could have tested them in defence in midfield, a try would have swung the game. Midway second half, the game was there to be won. Even with 4 minutes to go, we were right in the contest (despite everything). The wallaby backs were ineffective. We have some great attacking backs in this country that can tear them apart..........and yet we are constantly fed dysfunctional attacking combinations involving Mccabe, Horne and complete misfits on the bench.(Phipps) that give us nothing

The Nonu channel wasn't tested. That leaks points. Horne just isn't the man to play 13 for the wallabies.

The allblacks have to be challenged. You have to have a plan to put 40 points on them otherwise you will lose. A great defence system doesn't hurt but you need to score tries to beat them. It seems we are always just a try or so away from winning.

I don't think there was any lack of effort. The backrow was badly beaten but everything else was a par.......except Beale's defence.

It's also amazing how a ball can come flying out of a group of bodies on the ground (turnover ruck 1 minute on the clock deep in allblack red zone)

The allblacks will be better for the hit out and now we have to beat them on home soil. They don't lose in NZ too often.

The great sides can beat them in NZ. Australia has the talent pool and skill. I don't think we have picked the best "team" or combinations to beat them.

The centres and locks are a mystery to me.

Our backrow always finishes scond to them but the allblack backrow is one of the best of all time at the moment. Still, Brisbane 2011 showed the blue print. You have to absolutely smash them and they will step backwards too. That night they had the look of the hunted. That is the level of ferocity required to beat them. It isn't easy admittedly.

I'm sneaking in a vote for the Melbourne lock Pile.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Of course, the stupidest thing is that Cooper clearly had mental issues at the cup in NZ. But instead of easing him back in in front of his home crowd off the bench, he may (although I would not put any money on it) get pitched back in to save the day at Eden park. Not sure he as the maturity not to overplay with that sort of pressure, ala Beale, who amongst other things has far too much pressure from selections to be our x factor- although Ioane can handle it, so not sure why he can't.
There seems to me to be a hint of mismanagement (I am prepared to accept there could be some justification and the collective brains of GGR just havent worked out what it is) in the non-selection of QC (Quade Cooper): if they throw him in this week every journo/photographer in Auckland will be there to witness any stuff up or to provoke one, if need be.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
"It's also amazing how a ball can come flying out of a group of bodies on the ground (turnover ruck 1 minute on the clock deep in allblack red zone)"
Waylon - Did you like the way it just popped up high and long into the AB's side.. Maybe somebody 'wished' it there, can't see hands doing that!!

Got to agree with you. - the Wallabies didn't play with their game plan, they went out to beat the AB's game plan and that aint ever gunna happen.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
I suppose I'll comment on the AB's because naturally it's where I focus most of my attention. Essentially, as is the general consensus, they were a bit rusty. What helped was dominance in both the set pieces, great defence/poor Australian attack and the forwards just being better all round.

The line out was occasionally tested by the Wallabies resulting in quite a bit of spilled ball early on. I think the fundamentals were fine though and they sharpened up in the 2nd half. Brodie Retallick came on and did a fine job. There was a lot of talk about the scrum's being a lottery with Rolland, and I think they were but it was painfully clear who was the dominant scrum. Very rarely was the AB's feed upset and the AB's made havoc for the Wallabies, both legally and not so (this is the way of rugby of course).

I eat my earlier words about Mealamu having to earn back his spot, he had an absolute cracker. Good line out ball, work rate round the field and a ridiculous number of turnovers. Playing like he did two years ago minus a few barnstorming runs. Speaking of which, Richie McCaw, had two terrific busts through the line carrying defenders 10m or so in the second half. At the moment he's playing like an all round 6,7,8. Doing a bit of everything, great stuff. Back to the hookers, Andrew Hore came on with 5-10 minutes to go, and contributed his own vital turnover. Can't go wrong with those two, only concern is age and lack of an upcoming talented hooker.

The rest of the pack did very well, had more mongrel, fitness (don't know what Waylon was seeing) and most importantly technique. It was a bit baffling watching the AB's completely obliterate one ruck pushing it back so far and finally falling over and Rolland giving the penalty to the Wallabies. Technically he may be right (that the AB's fell on the wrong side of the ruck, lol) but what may I ask of the Australians that fell under them on the way through? Technically they were on their ass on the wrong side as well, lol. I dunno.

The centres were wrapped up nicely like I suspected they would, pity they were a decoy for Dagg. Backline performed well, no real problems bar rustiness. Carter's all round kicking was excellent, high ball, restart, goals. Plenty to like and plenty to improve on.

Can't see the Wallabies challenging in Auckland. They shot themselves in the foot really but the fundamentals were against them anyway. Oh and once again, Barnes is a good player but will NEVER be good enough to challenge the AB's, a bit too plain really. Maybe you could play him at 12, trust in him to tackle. Tough to throw in Quade now but honestly, he needs to say 'fk it' and back him. Move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13 ffs. Have a crack in the future. Oh and sack Deans already, seriously. You'll have to wait to the end of TRC. It's hard to tell whether the poor ball skills can be blamed on him but surely a more confident side wouldn't be making those errors. Doesn't seem like he could possibly motivate an Aussie side by his demeanour. Still doesn't use his bench. It's hard on him because the AB's are on top of everyone at the moment but still, you should try something else.

tldr

O

Ole Two Blue

This what a certain Premiership coach said..........anyone disagree with this?

'AB's v Wallabies. Neither team were flash - ARU get your shit together. They were overdone mentally and underdone physically. Both could be fixed in one go - let them play some rugby. Three or four weeks of training thinking about one game and one game only is not healthy for aggressive young men, and you can run around a training paddock all you want and do all the contact but it's not "match fitness". FFS put them out there in one or two games for their clubs, give them match practice and something else to think about whilst still thinking rugby and real situations. I think it sucks that rugby players not playing is seen as appropriate preparation in this country, so much talent just being mis-managed. And I am talking across all levels within ARU. Get your shit together or continue paying the price.'

Personally, I couldn't agree more.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
This what a certain Premiership coach said....anyone disagree with this?

'AB's v Wallabies. Neither team were flash - ARU get your shit together. They were overdone mentally and underdone physically. Both could be fixed in one go - let them play some rugby. Three or four weeks of training thinking about one game and one game only is not healthy for aggressive young men, and you can run around a training paddock all you want and do all the contact but it's not "match fitness". FFS put them out there in one or two games for their clubs, give them match practice and something else to think about whilst still thinking rugby and real situations. I think it sucks that rugby players not playing is seen as appropriate preparation in this country, so much talent just being mis-managed. And I am talking across all levels within ARU. Get your shit together or continue paying the price.'

I would put that as signature but its to bloody long. But so true and there is no C word in this team.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This what a certain Premiership coach said....anyone disagree with this?

Absolutely spot on.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Deans should make some calls and bring in some players for his forward pack team that he needs 1. Slipper/Holmes
2. Moore
3. Palmer/slipper
4. Sharpe
5. Pyle/ Douglas
6. Dennis
7. Hooper ( assuming pocock is out)
8. Higginbotham

As for centres if we want hard straight runners who can tackle let's bring in cummins unlike Horne he has shown some form at club level and isn't as soft

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Battle of the Loose Forwards between Black, and Gold was as big a disappointment as that between Gold, and Red earlier in the Season.

Humble pie is being consumed at Chez Jarse today.

While I didn't think the Darkness loosies played particularly well, the loosies for the Men in Gold had a collective shocker.

Bam Bam looks good when he is supported both by the 6 and 8, but also by the rest of the #1- #5. Last night this did not happen, so while Black #6 was a bit meh, the black #7 and #8 along with the support of some mongrels in #1-#5, they were able to dominate at will.

I saw Bam go down with what looked like a knee issue during the match, and he seemed a bit off the ball after that, or maybe that just highlighted how the Gold loosies were being owned by the Darkness.

I think much of my thoughts on the game have been covered in previous posts by others, so may limit comment to both teams played poorly last night. One team was much poorer than the other.

While the Darkness will undoubtedly work on eliminating their mistakes, perhaps we should give Dingo and his team some credit for doing similar and as a result we will see an improved performance from the away team next weekend.

To play as poorly as we did and still only get beaten by 8 points is a positive.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bam Bam looks good when he is supported both by the 6 and 8, but also by the rest of the #1- #5. Last night this did not happen, so while Black #6 was a bit meh, the black #7 and #8 along with the support of some mongrels in #1-#5, they were able to dominate at will.

This was also the issue when George Smith was our 7.........

The amount of games in gold he busted his ass trying to compensate for the rest of the pack..........

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Personally I didn't think it was as bad as everyone is saying. Both teams were off and the ref was a bit pedantic (but even handed) which resulted in a less than enjoyable game to watch. But that being said, I feel we had the cattle and the game to win that one - we simply made to many errors. Genia, Sharpe and Ioane all played well but added to that I thought our centres went well also. Up front, I thought Dennis and Timani went well also.

It was interesting to note that the AB's tighthead came from the one scrum that Timani was absent for.

Both teams squandered good ball at times, but we got beaten at the breakdown too often.

Beale had a shocker, and that is a concern. I'd nearly start Drew at 14, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 and Beale to the bench next week.

The use of the bench could've been better. For the whole second half we were in the game. What we needed was an injection. Instead of dribbling a couple of reserves on 5-10 mins apart I would've liked to have seen 3 sets of fresh legs come on together to try and spark something. Energy breeds energy and we needed something out there.

It's wierd. But it's almost as if they needed a reason to fire up. Emotionally or mentally exhausted before the game maybe?

Bring on game 2! Hope we can break the drought at Eden Park!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Some thoughts from the Olympic Stadium last night:

Job well done by CityRail in getting people to and from the venue however the trains they used were poorly lit, and full of graffiti. The lack of air conditioning and audible announcements would have been an issue if it was summer/hot, or not a limited stopping service. Goodness knows what the Darkness visitors think about our trains.

Enjoyed the rugby sevens game between Hills and Westfields Sports High. Should be more of this and less self congratulatory stuff. What team was the Blue and white stripes?

While the 1/2 time PA stuff was about women's rugby, and the UN partnership, I would have thought a more apt game of 7's would have been between two top women's teams rather than what appeared to be a bunch of male mungoballers and 15-aside players playing 15 aside rugby with only 7 players each. Mixed messages.

Aftermatch debriefing opportunities are still poor when the game is played out at Homebush.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Deans should make some calls and bring in some players for his forward pack team that he needs 1. Slipper/Holmes
2. Moore
3. Palmer/slipper
4. Sharpe
5. Pyle/ Douglas
6. Dennis
7. Hooper ( assuming pocock is out)
8. Higginbotham

As for centres if we want hard straight runners who can tackle let's bring in cummins unlike Horne he has shown some form at club level and isn't as soft

I think that Ben Alexander needs to come into consideration at 1 - he offers a lot more arround the paddock for a prop especially in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.