• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It really depends which Wallaby team shows up . If it's the one from the Brisbane Test last year, then it's going to be a cracker! If it's the one from the WC Semi, then it's going to be a dud!

The team from the Brisbane Test last year generally only turns up at Brisbane unfortunately. ;) The good thing though is that the team that played at Eden park seems to be the same team that's turned up there for the past 20 odd years and they only usually roll that team out for games at Eden Park or against Samoa or Scotland.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am not saying that the Wallabies can't win I am just saying that some of their selection choices have made it a lot harder.........by harder i mean similar to giving Usain Bolt a 1 Second head start

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Well the only other factor here is that Deans really only has this year to win a Bledisloe Cup ... If he fails this year, and then loses the Lions tour, then he'll be sacked (or on the way out) before next years Bledisloe. So it's entirely possible this years Wallaby team will be playing tournament rugby! If that's the case then the work rate of a number of the Wallaby pack needs to be increased significantly or the ABs will smash us.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Romano had a great last test against Ireland, but then again who didn't? Still needs to prove himself. I'm also a little worried about the centres, SBW hasn't performed against the Wallabies, and hasn't had the better of Fainga'a. Personally, I would have left SBW out altogether and went with Nonu-Ellison. Sure, great form but he's moving on. Nonu is good enough for the 12. It's a little embarrassing having the NZRU chase after that guy and fork out insurance money.

Scorz, I wouldn't play DC at 12. He was near woeful at 12 for the Crusaders by his standards. Either at 10 or on the bench with Cruden starting. Honestly I would start Cruden and if it went belly up you have world class on the bench. Can't go wrong either way I think. Would have started Hore over Mealamu as well, a full season of quality rugby behind him over Mealamu's injury plagued season. Let Mealamu earn his spot back because he simply hasn't yet. Happy for Messam at 6 and Vito can cover 8 over Thomson.

Regardless, it's still a strong side with quality players not even in the 22, so you can't complain. Hansen is getting all the pressure so he can do what he likes, haha.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am not saying that the Wallabies can't win I am just saying that some of their selection choices have made it a lot harder...by harder i mean similar to giving Usain Bolt a 1 Second head start

Meanwhile the selectors have clearly picked the team they consider gives them the most chance of winning.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems to me that the Wobs are looking for more physicality and toughness in defence - Sharpie said as much in our podcast. Looks like Totality Tony is looking to put some Munster in us, and I don't think we'd be unhappy about that would we? Do we really think we're going to beat NZ 6 tries to 5? (most likely trying that it would wind up 2 tries to 6)

I think this point was really good.

There are a lot of people calling for far more attacking selections but the reality of the situation is we're never going to win a shootout with New Zealand. Just look at their team, they have far more attacking flair across the park.

We have to play a physical, grinding game based around rock solid defence and hope that we can execute our opportunities when they arise.

Trying to throw the ball around and play open running rugby against the All Blacks will just result in us getting smashed.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Why on earth did they pick Romano? Apart from that, the Kiwi side looks pretty dam scary. They made the right call in regards to Messam>Vito>Thompson.
The only other question is Mealamu over Hore, who I think has been in much better form.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Why on earth did they pick Romano? Apart from that, the Kiwi side looks pretty dam scary. They made the right call in regards to Messam>Vito>Thompson.
The only other question is Mealamu over Hore, who I think has been in much better form.
Mealamu is a bit like Nonu. He has an average super season but once he slips on the darkness he's a freak.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I am really looking forward to the tantalising prospect of a proper Bam-Bam vs Sir Richie contest.

As a #7, I believe Sir Richie is nowhere the player he once was. Old age is catching up with him.
On the other hand, Bam Bam was so dominant against the alleged "worlds best" loosies from Wales this year, he made them look like they would struggle for a place in the St Ives Under 16's.

The Captaincy issue is another ball game. Sir Richie has been doing this for so long that it is second nature and not the Captaincy crown is not the burdon it is to some people. Sir Richie has players and referees alike eating out of his hand, and does not let this responsibility adversely affect his game.
Our Bam Bam is growing into this role, and developing superbly but still has some way to go.

Sir Richie will win the Captaincy contest. Bam Bam will play all over Sir Richie on the field.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
David Attenborough is currently in the country.

Hopefully Alain Rolland has attended one of his lectures to find out how to spot the oft invisible Richie McCaw in the wild.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Even though Robbies tactics usually leave a lot to be desired, I think that there is a weakness in the AB centres. SBW is in good form and he has worked off of Carter before, but I think his combo with Nonu could lead to a bit of a stunted NZ attack. Finger is marking him too, and Finger usually does a good job of keeping Sonny Bill quiet.

I agree that this could be weakness for the ABs, but I look at our team and I don't see who is going to exploit it. Barnes won't, Fainga'a won't, Horne won't. We are left hoping Kurtley can bring some magic from two passes off the ruck, and that Digby or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) get in the position to take an inside ball from him, but mostly they will be running inside 10 or 12, so not really likely either.

We might just have to run at SBW's shoulders and hope he gets a yellow.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think this point was really good.

There are a lot of people calling for far more attacking selections but the reality of the situation is we're never going to win a shootout with New Zealand. Just look at their team, they have far more attacking flair across the park.

We have to play a physical, grinding game based around rock solid defence and hope that we can execute our opportunities when they arise.

Trying to throw the ball around and play open running rugby against the All Blacks will just result in us getting smashed.

I agree a little bit but i still think that there are better players whoc an do the same job tapuai has shown he can mark SBW (2011 Super final) and makes a strong partnership with Fainga'a but he adds mor ein attack than horne.

As for grinding tough defence if thats what you want TPN and Timani arent your guys you want people like douglas/Pyle and Moore who thrive in the tight game (moore against scotland was a workhorse) not the odd kamikaz ehit or 'big' shot

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think everyone agrees that Tapuai is a great prospect however he showed nothing on his return from the broken collarbone.

There is absolutely no way he was going to either dislodge Horne or be ahead of Fainga'a for this series.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am really looking forward to the tantalising prospect of a proper Bam-Bam vs Sir Richie contest.

As a #7, I believe Sir Richie is nowhere the player he once was. Old age is catching up with him.
On the other hand, Bam Bam was so dominant against the alleged "worlds best" loosies from Wales this year, he made them look like they would struggle for a place in the St Ives Under 16's.

The Captaincy issue is another ball game. Sir Richie has been doing this for so long that it is second nature and not the Captaincy crown is not the burdon it is to some people. Sir Richie has players and referees alike eating out of his hand, and does not let this responsibility adversely affect his game.
Our Bam Bam is growing into this role, and developing superbly but still has some way to go.

Sir Richie will win the Captaincy contest. Bam Bam will play all over Sir Richie on the field.

As long as the Wallabies don't get blown off the ball, then I think Pocock will have a clear win vs McCaw in the openside battle. In the captaincy battle, well I think that Genia and Sharpe make most of the decisions anyway, so it is hard to compare!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I agree that this could be weakness for the ABs, but I look at our team and I don't see who is going to exploit it. Barnes won't, Fainga'a won't, Horne won't. We are left hoping Kurtley can bring some magic from two passes off the ruck, and that Digby or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) get in the position to take an inside ball from him, but mostly they will be running inside 10 or 12, so not really likely either.

We might just have to run at SBW's shoulders and hope he gets a yellow.

Barnes needs to attack the line early. Shuffling the ball wide or inside to Ioane will see the recipients getting smashed. I'd like to see Ioane running off Genia close or going 2 passes out then running off Fainga'a. Gives the option of going inside or having 2 options outside if Horne and Ioane are coming at pace. This gets the ball a bit wider and increases the chances of a one on one. McCaw is slowing so i'd like to see him made to work hard to get to the breakdown.

I agree but the forward selections just do not suit a grinding battle. TPN, Timani and Higgers are all better loose and Samo and Hooper on the bench would probably suit a more open game. Go with Simmons and Moore in the XV then Shatz over Samo on the bench if you want to play tight.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think everyone agrees that Tapuai is a great prospect however he showed nothing on his return from the broken collarbone.

There is absolutely no way he was going to either dislodge Horne or be ahead of Fainga'a for this series.

Showing nothing at super level doesn't appear to determine whether you are selected for the Wallabies or not.

Ok. I'll give it a rest now.

Reactions: BDA

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

I think Pocock is a better fetcher/ turnover exponent, but is inferior in link play/destructive defence/ and ball runner.

J

Jiggles

I agree a little bit but i still think that there are better players whoc an do the same job tapuai has shown he can mark SBW (2011 Super final) and makes a strong partnership with Fainga'a but he adds mor ein attack than horne.

As for grinding tough defence if thats what you want TPN and Timani arent your guys you want people like douglas/Pyle and Moore who thrive in the tight game (moore against scotland was a workhorse) not the odd kamikaz ehit or 'big' shot

I think Higgers showed in the Scotland game he is very willing to play a tight game. It's just his technique is poor in contact when in tight. If he works on this aspect of his game he could be anything.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

More than a prospect he is a 100% bonafide performer easily the reds best palyer before injury & how cna you expect him to perfrom when he only got 40 minutes at premierl evel now he is carrying sunnybank on his shoulders towards top 3 finish.

Also your logic is flawed becaus eof drew mitchell WTF has he doen the last 12 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.