• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Lee Grant said somewhere above that we don't have the same Timani this year and I tend to agree. His development has plateaued somewhat, whereas in 2011 we saw him make huge strides of the course of the season. If he'd made similar leaps, there would be less doubt over his selection.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
We will be in with a shot when the Boks pick 8 cheetahs and the ABs 8 highlanders though.

Can't wait.

1. Tony Woodcock 2. Andrew Hore 3. Owen Franks 4. Sam Whitelock 5. Brodie Rettalick 6. Adam Thomson 7. Richie McCaw 8. Nasi Manu 9. Aaron Smith 10. Colin Slade 11. Hosea Gear 12. SBW/Nonu 13. Tamati Ellison 14. Ben Smith 15. Israel Dagg

I'd be pretty confident with this side playing the Wallabies. That is 8 in the starting line-up as well. You could almost fill the bench as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
1. Tony Woodcock 2. Andrew Hore 3. Owen Franks 4. Sam Whitelock 5. Brodie Rettalick 6. Adam Thomson 7. Richie McCaw 8. Nasi Manu 9. Aaron Smith 10. Colin Slade 11. Hosea Gear 12. SBW/Nonu 13. Tamati Ellison 14. Ben Smith 15. Israel Dagg

I'd be pretty confident with this side playing the Wallabies. That is 8 in the starting line-up as well. You could almost fill the bench as well.

Yeah, my comment doesn't work as well with the ABs as the Boks, but at least the Wallabies would have a chance against 'NewZealand A'

C

Chicken George

ah ... yes Richard Loe writes good word that bloke (article in NZ Herald today) http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10826419.

Some remnants of the Aussie part of his assessment ....

the Wallabies would win only one match in the upcoming Rugby Championship.

First, they will be found wanting up front. That much was clear from the front rows on view during Super Rugby and they have worn out a few locks, haven't they?
Nathan Sharpe isn't allowed to retire - it's like us selecting Gary Whetton again - and the young guys they have picked, like Kane Douglas and Sitaleki Timani, will soon be discovering the gap between Super Rugby and test rugby.

They also start with two tough games against the All Blacks and I believe the Pumas will win at least one match - probably the home test against the Wallabies on October 6.

Because of their forwards' shortcomings, I think the Wallabies will struggle to win either of the two tests against the Boks.
They are not without some hope, though I think it very much depends on who Robbie Deans selects.
If he chooses Berrick Barnes at first five-eighths, I will stick to my one-win prediction. However, they may do better if he selects Quade Cooper.

etc .....

Il give the Wallabies a better chance than that. They always seem to find something special against the All Blacks. But they can throw-one awful pearla like they did against Scotland and some other less fancied national team once in a while. Strange. Very Strange indeed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The difference between the two is that Simmons has actually shown he is capable of playing well and being involved. repeatedly. (He has also shown that he can go missing). Timani has only ever shown that he is missing in action.

I agree on both counts. There are issues in this area, but if Simmons is on the outer, then there are other options ahead of Timani.

Close but no cigar, last year Timani was just great, heavy involvement and causing damage.

But, he hasn't shown the same intensity this season

Simmons? too many lazy moments as well, too cheap efforts.

I don't see either as long term Wallabies, but I do try to work out the thinking as to why one is selected.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Close but no cigar, last year Timani was just great, heavy involvement and causing damage

Do you have a specific game you could draw my attention to? I don't recall seeing that last year at all (I confess to not watching every tahs game last year though).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Do you have a specific game you could draw my attention to? I don't recall seeing that last year at all (I confess to not watching every tahs game last year though).

The second half of last season he was very good and got time in the June tests.

This season? me thinks he is suffering from playing in Japan with no break.

As for Pyle et al, I expect the fit ones to be in Europe in November as per standard Wobs procedures

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
NZ media is bullshit everyone knows it. I would have aken Pyle and Douglas as my locks over Simmons and timani. Anyone who compares higgers to timani is off their head. Higgers does play a wide game but has shown on numerous occasions that he can do the rough and tumble in the tight when the game dictates. Scotland game anyone?

On the matter of front row I believe that wallabies have made some joke choices I would have selected a completely different front row of Robinson Moore and slipper....li still think that Greg Holmes was hard done by not to make the team and lemons like Alexander did

J

Jiggles

Lee Grant said somewhere above that we don't have the same Timani this year and I tend to agree. His development has plateaued somewhat, whereas in 2011 we saw him make huge strides of the course of the season. If he'd made similar leaps, there would be less doubt over his selection.

Timani's form last year, which was about 4 games long, was a purple patch in an otherwise average career. He has spent 5 previous seasons at other franchises showing little to suggest he is a Wallaby. If he had had that same form at any other state it would be greeted with skepticism and not the hullabaloo permitting from down Mexico way. Timani is Tom Bowman v2.0. All talk and no substance.

J

Jiggles

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but Nick Phipps has been evolving into a nasty little so and so. Someone should pull him aside and tell him there is a reason no one really likes Brett Sheehan...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Timani's form last year, which was about 4 games long, was a purple patch in an otherwise average career. He has spent 5 previous seasons at other franchises showing little to suggest he is a Wallaby. If he had had that same form at any other state it would be greeted with skepticism and not the hullabaloo permitting from down Mexico way. Timani is Tom Bowman v2.0. All talk and no substance.

Provincial resentments gets pretty boring, I have to say.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but Nick Phipps has been evolving into a nasty little so and so. Someone should pull him aside and tell him there is a reason no one really likes Brett Sheehan.

Still, he's no henjak.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Nick Phipps will probably be warming the bench the whole game. Unless somehow the Wallabies are comfortable ahead by the 75th minute then he might get a cap.

Horne will do his job as a defender. He does tend to go missing, even when playing for southern districts. He'll make a run then just not get back into position for a good few phases or until the next set piece. But I'd be interested in seeing his and Fainga'a's missed tackle stats at the end. I think it will be very few even against a pairing of $BW and Nonu

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nick Phipps will probably be warming the bench the whole game. Unless somehow the Wallabies are comfortable ahead by the 75th minute then he might get a cap.

Given that Phipps is unlikely to get on, the selectors should have selected McKibbin.

Another Waratah in the 22 would have really evened things out.
219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake.gif

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nick Phipps' passing game very consistent - it is consistently behind the receiver. Otherwise, I think he is OK for the rebels (he probably shouldn't be in the wallabies).

Rob Horne was part of the run on squad that beat wales and scored a try in each of the tests so there is plenty of evidence that would suggest that he should be in the team.

J

Jiggles

Nah McKibbin should've been in there over Phipps. He has had a pretty solid season.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I just can't forgive horne for bombing that try against Wales.....sums him up perfectly really......on the note of Phipps being a little dick. I noticed this year that out of all the franchises starting half back only genia and McKibbon seem to avoid getting involved in the niggle. Even white doesn't seem to mind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.