• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
True. But we know what Fainga'a can do. This tour is going to be a bit developmental, so I would much prefer to see Tapuai thrown in. I think the guy has huge potential.

Agree, and actually said before the RWC squad was announced that while Fa'ainga was likely to get in, Tapuai had much greater potential and would likely make the Reds 12 jersey his own in 2012.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If the development process goes as it has in the past guys like Tapuai will be tourists and crash test dummies - and if they are lucky a bench spot in November and then some game time in the early tests in June in the first sojourn into test rugby

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Nothing wrong with that.

We should start up a 2012 Super Rugby wish list. One of my wishes will be to see Taps kick on from last year then later form a centre pairing with his old Oz Schools team mate, Rob Horne, for the Wobs. A little tear will come down my eye if I see that.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'd either cry or laugh (not sure which) if Horne could just stay on the field for the whole year.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
its great 2 more Reds made the wallabies squad, pity the coach doesn't use the Reds selected.... I think thats 17 players this year for the Reds and 4 played through out the world cup..
lucas has slogged his guts out over the year and never turned his back on the Reds through all low points and finally got a chance for his 1st capped....

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
its great 2 more Reds made the wallabies squad, pity the coach doesn't use the Reds selected.... I think thats 17 players this year for the Reds and 4 played through out the world cup..

It is an interesting point. Deans has now used pretty much the whole Reds line up this season (besides props). No other super-rugby team can boast that success.

Not sure where you get your numbers from though, they look a bit off.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
lucas has slogged his guts out over the year and never turned his back on the Reds through all low points and finally got a chance for his 1st capped....

Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Simmons, Ioane, Fainga'a, Samo, Higginbotham, and Slipper were all regulars from memory. Don't know where you get 4 from?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Simmons, Ioane, Fainga'a, Samo, Higginbotham, and Slipper were all regulars from memory. Don't know where you get 4 from?

Genia, cooper, horwill, Ioane

I would have loved to the rest mentioned to start the game, maybe cooper and genia would have got better ball, fitter forwards of the bunch

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
It is an interesting point. Deans has now used pretty much the whole Reds line up this season (besides props). No other super-rugby team can boast that success.

What about in '08 when Benn, Taf and Fuze were the front row, Vicks at lock, Rocky, Waugh and Palu back row with Burgo starting scrummie... even had lote on the wing!

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
What about in '08 when Benn, Taf and Fuze were the front row, Vicks at lock, Rocky, Waugh and Palu back row with Burgo starting scrummie... even had lote on the wing!

Nothing on the 2007 3N, with our 'Brumbies' backline and another 6 in the 22.
Julian Huxley
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Stirling Mortlock (c)
Matt Giteau
Lote Tuqiri- lone non-Brumby in the backline
Stephen Larkham
George Gregan

Rocky Elsom
George Smith
Guy Shepherdson

Mark Chisholm
Stephen Hoiles
Mark Gerrard

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. Horne
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

21. Lucas
22. Fainga'a

Fainga'a has had his go at 12 and been poor in attack, someone else needs a go.

When exactly was that?

He's only started at 13, and outside Pat McCabe, so when exactly was he supposed to have shown what he could do in attack?

From memory he got the ball twice against Ireland. Yes, threw a howler, but the first time he got it, was flat footed about where the fly half would stand. He stuck his head down, charged into the SPACE BETWEEN TWO MEN (Pat McCabe, are you reading this?!?!?!) and made about 15 metres. it was the longest ball carry of the night until that point.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I must have missed that part because I only saw him play a handful of games over a couple of years between injuries, showing glimpses of promise from time to time without really making the position his own.

McCabe granted. Considering nobody has shone at 13 outside him, one could argue he offers limited attacking ability. Fainga'a on the otherhand... Did you happen to see the past 2 seasons of the Reds. Fainga'a was a functional member of the most exciting attacking backline in Super Rugby. While he may not be a second playmaker, obviously between the form of Will Chambers outside of him in 2010 and the wingers outside of him in 2011, he is able to play a role in a well performing attacking backline that did not limit the attacking potential of those outside of him. To refer to him as merely a crash and bash merchant is both unfair, incorrect and ill informed.

Precisely. Couldn't have put it more succinctly myself.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nothing on the 2007 3N, with our 'Brumbies' backline and another 6 in the 22.
Julian Huxley
Adam Ashley-Cooper
Stirling Mortlock (c)
Matt Giteau
Lote Tuqiri- lone non-Brumby in the backline
Stephen Larkham
George Gregan

Rocky Elsom
George Smith
Guy Shepherdson

Mark Chisholm
Stephen Hoiles
Mark Gerrard
In 2007 Giteau was at the Force, Elsom was not a Brumbie neither.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In 2004 Eddie Jones ran out with this against the Pacific Islanders:

9. Gregan
10. Larkham
11. Tuqiri
12. Giteau
13. Mortlock
14. Rathbone
15. Roff

In fact, Gerrard was originally meant to start at that 14 position against Scotland in the first international test that year...

I believe every starting XV Brumby that year played for the Wallabies except for Fava...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I must have missed that part because I only saw him play a handful of games over a couple of years between injuries, showing glimpses of promise from time to time without really making the position his own.

McCabe granted. Considering nobody has shone at 13 outside him, one could argue he offers limited attacking ability. Fainga'a on the otherhand... Did you happen to see the past 2 seasons of the Reds. Fainga'a was a functional member of the most exciting attacking backline in Super Rugby. While he may not be a second playmaker, obviously between the form of Will Chambers outside of him in 2010 and the wingers outside of him in 2011, he is able to play a role in a well performing attacking backline that did not limit the attacking potential of those outside of him. To refer to him as merely a crash and bash merchant is both unfair, incorrect and ill informed.

Precisely. Couldn't have put it more succinctly myself.

Clearly "succinct" has an alternative meaning I'm unfamiliar with.

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
Tapuai really does look the goods for the future, I'm glad to hear he got the call up. Hopefully Robbie Deans has seen the light of giving O'Connor a go at 12 as well. I like the idea of a O'Connor/Barnes combination.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Tapuai really does look the goods for the future, I'm glad to hear he got the call up. Hopefully Robbie Deans has seen the light of giving O'Connor a go at 12 as well. I like the idea of a O'Connor/Barnes combination.

The trouble is that the selection of Tapuai works against that. You never know though: the balance of some of Deans' squads, the selections of matchday 22s from the squads, and the use of the bench, have been bizarre sometimes. He could have 4 guys starting who can play 12 and we shouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.