• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 RWC - Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, USA, Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thedubs

Oh my apologies for speaking my mind LG, should I be carded for that?

I'm not going to expand on why I dislike the Irish Rugby side, simply because I don't feel I need to have to defend myself. But I can guarentee you that it doesn't have anything to do with them beating Australia (because we deserved to be beaten that night).

Just because New Zealand likes us and doesnt like you. Naa naa na na naa!! :cool:

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Oh my apologies for speaking my mind LG, should I be carded for that?

I'm not going to expand on why I dislike the Irish Rugby side, simply because I don't feel I need to have to defend myself. But I can guarentee you that it doesn't have anything to do with them beating Australia (because we deserved to be beaten that night).

Nobody blinks when a poster comments that they cant stand the English rugby team, so I don't quite get the special treatment afforded Ireland here especially as the comment wasn't delivered to start a shit fight.

There are several teams for which I have developed a strong dislike over the years and I don't think I have to justify it either, even if I struggle to articulate why they get under my craw. Although, having been gouged and ball crimped playing against French teams (and only French teams), i delight in seeing them stuffed.

T

thedubs

Nobody blinks when a poster comments that they cant stand the English rugby team, so I don't quite get the special treatment afforded Ireland here especially as the comment wasn't delivered to start a shit fight.

There are several teams for which I have developed a strong dislike over the years and I don't think I have to justify it either, even if I struggle to articulate why they get under my craw. Although, having been gouged and ball crimped playing against French teams (and only French teams), i delight in seeing them stuffed.

Ys but comparing hate for the England rugby team and the Ireland rugby team isnt relevent. England are like the peace keepers and negotiators of world rugby as their common ground for all nationalities to unite against and join up to complain against. The Nelson Mandela of the rugby world if you will.

I

Interloper

Ys but comparing hate for the England rugby team and the Ireland rugby team isnt relevent. England are like the peace keepers and negotiators of world rugby as their common ground for all nationalities to unite against and join up to complain against. The Nelson Mandela of the rugby world if you will.

Finally! A forum where I can share my hate of Nelson Mandela.

I've posted my thoughts on the Welsh match in that thread so I'll say what I have to say about the group stages here.

Russia talked themselves up a lot. If not for this tournament, but for 2015 and definitely for 2019. They plan on being a big team, top ten could be realistic, I just don't know what infrastructure Russia has to put in place for the future. I have heard that they've got a fully pro domestic league now, so I think it's definitely possible for them to cause an upset in the future, whether that's against a USA (they should win against,) an Italy (who have stagnated,) an Ireland (who could be at their highest peak in twenty years now,) or even an Australia (who are consistently top three,) well I don't know. But Russia is definitely talking big about their future. Hopefully it's a success story. (Maybe we even get two divisions in the six nations. :D )

The USA have been ably coached by Eddie O'Sullivan who destroyed the best Irish team in a long time. His heavily coached, play-book style tactics suit America well. They've done what they came to do, beat Russia. And they've done well against a "big" nation by holding Ireland to only a few tries. Will rugby grow in America? I doubt it. From looking at my American forums this tournament just hasn't caught their imaginations. I'm not sure rugby ever will until the Sevens join the Olympics, and even then they'll be playing an entirely different game.

Italy have stagnated. And it's a little bittersweet for Mallet. While they achieved their biggest ever win only a few months ago (beating France in the Six Nations after running Ireland close,) they dropped away against Ireland and didn't achieve anything on the biggest stage. With Aironi and Treviso in the RabodirectPro12 (and winning games,) lets hope rugby in Italy can be put back on track. A new coach and the Pro12 offer opportunities. Not to even start on their chances with the Scottish teams dropping off. We need Italy to make it, if not from an Irish fan's view definitely from a rugby fan's view.

While Italy was Ireland's speedbump, and continued to be until we beat them this weekend. Ireland was Australia's even if a lot of your media didn't appear to recognise that. It's on to knock out rugby for both of us, so I won't say too much, we'll have to see what happens on the day. What I will say is that I honestly don't know if I'd prefer to play yourselves or New Zealand in a final. New Zealand may be in form, and the team of the world cup. Australia, however, because of their humbling loss to Ireland will be absolutely fired up should we meet you again. And they'll probably be fired up in a manner many haven't seen before, and that is something to be feared. Something I think I fear more than a coasting New Zealand team.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
..... And they'll probably be fired up in a manner many haven't seen before, and that is something to be feared. Something I think I fear more than a coasting New Zealand team.

....being those who dod not tune in to the game in Brisbane 6 weeks ago.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Italy's Ghiraldini banned for 'gouging'
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...aldini-banned-for-gouging-20111004-1l7ec.html
Italy's Leonardo Ghiraldini has been suspended for 15 weeks for 'gouging' the eyes of Ireland prop Cian Healy during the teams' decisive
World Cup pool match last weekend, the International Rugby Board (IRB) confirmed after a disciplinary hearing here on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old hooker, who admitted the offence but denied his actions had been deliberate, was found guilty of breaching Law 10.4(m) by making contact with the eyes or the eye area and acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

In a fixture both sides had to win to advance to the quarter-finals, Pool C winners Ireland triumphed 36-6 at Dunedin's Otago Stadium and so knocked Italy out of the tournament.

The IRB said in a statement: "Having conducted a detailed review of all the evidence available, including all broadcast angles and additional evidence from the Player and submissions from his legal representative, the Judicial Officer found the contact with the eyes of the Irish player to be a deliberate act on the part of Ghiraldini and categorised it as top end offending which has an entry point of 24 weeks suspension.

"However, taking into account particular aspects of the offending in this case and a range of mitigating factors, principally Ghiraldini’s previously unblemished record, the Judicial Officer reduced the period of suspension otherwise arrived at to 15 weeks."

Ghiraldini, who has 48 hours to appeal, will be suspended until January 17 next.

During the first half of Sunday's match an angry Healy indicated he had been the victim of eye gouging, but experienced South African referee

Jonathan Kaplan said he could take no action as he had not himself seen the incident.

Eye gouging is one of the most serious offences in rugby union and is punishable by a maximum three-year ban.

Ireland face Wales in a World Cup quarter-final in Wellington on Saturday.

AFP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...for-gouging-20111004-1l7ec.html#ixzz1ZoId6kh5

Status
Not open for further replies.